2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've managed to resist the Behringer tribute act thus far, but this is, indeed, very tasty and tempting :) They'll be unobtanium so it will take a few years to build a system I'm sure. The prices on the TipTop site are reasonable thus far.

Built a pair of Music Thing Mini Drives today.

pekbro wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:02 pm Hmm, yeah I dunno. I would probably rather have an actual Buchla system myself with banana cables etc.
that would indeed be nice, sadly, actual buchla prices, put them way out of my reach.
this is the next best option.

vurt wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:39 pm
that would indeed be nice, sadly, actual buchla prices, put them way out of my reach.
No doubt a nice thing for many, just make sure you don't already have some equivalent,
lotta stuff in eurorack is based off Buchla stuff already.

I think those Buchla modules are going to be a big deal for TipTop... but then I also remember that they were going to have a line of licensed Serge modules that never materialized. I hope that they can get these modules to market because I'm sure they will be well received. I have a ton of respect for Gur and the folks at TipTop.

That said, I have a feeling this would be a bummer for Don. The only time I spoke with him, he told me he was unhappy with the reissue of the Easel and the idea that the company that bears his name would retread old ground really seemed to bother him. It's like he had no problem with other people cloning his old synths but he just didn't want his name on them.

I have a weird relationship with Buchla synths. The sounds I heard other people making with them are what drove me to get into modular and I came close to putting ~$30k into a 18 panel system around 2013/14. But after spending time with a 200e, Easel and a vintage 200 system, I found it really wasn't for me. The one thing I liked about the synths I used (and 4u synths in general) is that they provided a bit more space for wiggling knobs. Still, I got really annoyed by the weird segregation of CV and audio signals in the big systems. The Easel (particularly the 208) on the other hand is truly a work of art.

Anyway, a bunch of rambling just to say that it's rad these modules exist but I think I will probably stick with the stuff I have.

pekbro wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:49 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:39 pm
No doubt a nice thing for many, just make sure you don't already have some equivalent,
lotta stuff in eurorack is based off Buchla stuff already.
aye, im sure a couple of modules could be seen as redundant, but then some might be worth having additional...
but a full rack of it does look beautiful, will have to see what happens, if availability is not great, i dont really want to get in and only be able to get half a case, even if i could use the rest of the case for non buchlatiptops.

Oh yeah, thanks Foosnark for the heads up on the Bored Brain OPTX! I just picked up a pair of them yesterday.

Bought in 2021
Yamaha tg77
Roland r8m
Sequentix cirklon 2

Want to buy in 2022
Udo supersix ( black version 🌑 )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I want to believe that I'm cured, I've bought almost nothing this year, really, almost nothing. It won't be the year that I sell more than I buy, but there's always next year for that!

Had my Typhon for a few weeks now, but only just got around to automating its controls via MIDI CC, I used the CC sequencing available in HY Plugins’ great HY-SEQ32. What a revelation, it sounds amazing and so responsive. The Nymphes demos I’ve seen didn’t excite me, but finding out it has as much or even more CC control I’m starting to see the potential.
Really wish it had Typhon style effects and stereo out though I guess at the price you could buy two and have a 12 voice stereo true analogue poly beast for well under a grand. I probably won’t get one as I’m pretty well covered on that front with Deepmind 12 and Minilogue XD, but it does look a bargain for anyone who doesn’t obsess over ‘knob per function’ controls

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I may have bought too much shit this year:

- Polybrute
- KeyLab 88 Mk II
- Keystep 37
- Beatstep Pro
- Korg SQ-1
- Apollo x6
- Clarett OctoPre
- Neumann TLM 103
- Neumann K67 capsule
- SSL SiX x 2
- SSL Fusion
- SSL UF8
- Jamstik MIDI guitar
- Erica Synths Black System III
- Erica Synths Zen Delay
- Microcosm
- Korg Arp Odyssey Module Rev 1
- Poly D
- Yamaha reface DX
- Roland MC-101
- Roland TR-6S
- Moog Claravox Centennial (still waiting for delivery)
- 1010Music Blackbox

I think that's it?

Recently ordered:

Arturia Polybrute
Waldorf M

Canceled my Isla S2400 order

d2dsf wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:06 pm
- Erica Synths Zen Delay
One of the things on my bucket list :tu:

d2dsf wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:06 pm I may have bought too

** huge list **
Come clean here. When you say ‘bought’ do you actually mean ‘ram raided a music superstore’?

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Constructed Identity wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:18 pm
- Erica Synths Zen Delay
I’m revisiting this as a possible pickup. After getting Oto Bam I was checking out Bim, but I don’t like the limitations. Zen might be it, I hope.

elxsound wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:39 pm
Constructed Identity wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:18 pm
- Erica Synths Zen Delay
I’m revisiting this as a possible pickup. After getting Oto Bam I was checking out Bim, but I don’t like the limitations. Zen might be it, I hope.
zen does look lovely!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”