2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
pekbro
KVRAF
4435 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:20 pm

elxsound wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:42 pm
Pekbro, C'mon man!! I don't know this company either. Checking them out now.

Just ordered this limited edition version of MOOD on sale too. :D I've got one already, so I'll have to decide which one I'd like to keep. I love black-outs, so I'm sure I'm selling off the OG, but we'll see.

Wow! I want one of those too, where you get it? :lol:

*doh, nvm found it! Dang, I did get the newsletter a couple hours ago, all that stuff sold out
super fast. :cry:

elxsound
KVRAF
7457 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:23 pm

Just added the Delay Llama Xtreme. I think that should do it for my sales shopping.

I watched a ton of videos and tried my best not to like it. I think the only pedal I would consider getting instead of it is the Memory Man, but this one has a good sale price and is different enough.

pekbro
KVRAF

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:18 pm

elxsound wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:23 pm
Just added the Delay Llama Xtreme. I think that should do it for my sales shopping.

I watched a ton of videos and tried my best not to like it. I think the only pedal I would consider getting instead of it is the Memory Man, but this one has a good sale price and is different enough.
Nice, yeah I never really considered it against the memory man, completely different approaches. :tu:

I'm kind of going back and forth between one of a few choices of pre-amps and one of those origin
effects stacked compressors. I'm thinking the pre-amp would be nice, but I hardly 'need' it for the
moment. The sustain from that compressor is something I am quite keen on, but I can only find 10%
of that. The slide-rig version is on sale, but I definitely would rather have the stacked version.
There are some other nice compressors as well that I haven't really checked out yet. :lol:

lnikj
KVRAF
2196 posts since 23 May, 2005 from North Cornwall

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:09 am

Pondering an Error Instruments Cloudbusting but so far not spent a penny for BF.

elxsound
KVRAF

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:17 pm

I caved in on another order and this one I feel dirty for, but Instagram had an additional 20% off on first purchases made through their online store. At least I was able to use PayPal to complete the payment info, but still makes me feel dirty for buying through Instagram.

Anyway...

I bought the Rattler from Jam Pedals (a company I didn't know much about until Pekbro's post). I was also looking at the Ripply Falls pedal, but I couldn't justify it because I still love my Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl and Keeley's Dark Side. Ripply doesn't add much over those, except that it's enclosed in one pedal that looks vibrant as f**k (and I still want it).

The Rattler doesn't add much to the Rat clone pedal discussion other than it behaves differently with dynamic responsiveness. I almost bought JHS's Ratpack, but I hate the rat logo on the pedal. Maybe it's an NYC thing, but I'm not a fan of the graphic in the worst way. I do still have my brother's ProCo Rat, so getting the Rattler seemed to make more sense.

But, damn, that Ripply Falls looks nice.

I would have bought the Harmonious Monk pedal if it had been in stock. It's a bit pricey for what it is, so 20% + 20% would have been a good deal.

cryophonik
KVRAF
7562 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:50 pm

I’m really GAS’ing for a Sequential OB-6 lately. I already have so many hardware analogs, though - Prophet Rev2, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Minilogue XD, Microbrute 2S. I’d need to part with a couple of the monos to have desk space and inputs… :help:

kcearl
KVRist
207 posts since 25 May, 2012 from Sunny Philly

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:45 am

cryophonik wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:50 pm
I’m really GAS’ing for a Sequential OB-6 lately. I already have so many hardware analogs, though - Prophet Rev2, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Minilogue XD, Microbrute 2S. I’d need to part with a couple of the monos to have desk space and inputs… :help:
Love it, doesnt cover much territory but what it does cover is excellent. Been on everything since I bought it. :tu:

WatchTheGuitar
KVRAF
9351 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:27 pm

Decided to put off any m1 mac purchases for another year and ordered a Ryzen x5900 to replace my x2700, should give me a bit more headroom on demanding plugins and apps like VCV Rack.

Not looking forward to the mild panic when dealing with tiny pins and cooler gunk, but damn it Jim I haven’t lost a patient yet.

kcearl
KVRist
207 posts since 25 May, 2012 from Sunny Philly

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:35 pm

WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:27 pm
Decided to put off any m1 mac purchases for another year and ordered a Ryzen x5900 to replace my x2700, should give me a bit more headroom on demanding plugins and apps like VCV Rack.

Not looking forward to the mild panic when dealing with tiny pins and cooler gunk, but damn it Jim I haven’t lost a patient yet.
I just bought a ryzen 5 laptop, so fast, doesnt quite deal with audio as well as my intel but I think you can upgrade the Ram to 3600 mhz and it helps…or so my drunken Saturday night googling suggested

pekbro
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:40 pm

:lol: Black Friday continues unabated apparently...

Polarbear Effects Drowner...

https://youtu.be/qYzRnffc02U

elxsound
KVRAF

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:02 am

pekbro wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:40 pm

That’s a nice lush reverb

Shabdahbriah
KVRAF
7606 posts since 19 Jun, 2008 from Seattle

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:41 am

lnikj wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:09 am
Pondering an Error Instruments Cloudbusting but so far not spent a penny for BF.
Wow, I'd forgotten all about this one until very recently. When it came out (as a desktop unit) I thought it might be cool to mod some of these:
landscape-allflesh-10pc-complete.jpg
by replacing the jack bit, with small 'springs', that would slip onto the 'stem' on the unit, that normally requires alligator clips or wire (as shown).

https://youtu.be/LPe8ojrCfWw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

pekbro
KVRAF

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:04 am

elxsound wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:02 am
pekbro wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:40 pm

That’s a nice lush reverb
The whole package sounded good to me, after the first vid I was like, yes please :lol:
Dark industrial guitar. Also a lo-fi reverb maker. Ill probably get the rattler next BF :tu:

imrae
KVRAF
1954 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:10 am

Recently picked up an oscilloscope, and just placed an order for a bunch of perfboard, plugboards and components. I have some synth module ideas stuck in my head... :help:

(The question is whether I will be able to make anything worth putting behind a panel before I blow up all the OTA chips.)

lnikj
KVRAF
2196 posts since 23 May, 2005 from North Cornwall

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:49 am

Shabdahbriah wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:41 am
lnikj wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:09 am
Wow, I'd forgotten all about this one until very recently. When it came out (as a desktop unit) I thought it might be cool to mod some of these:

landscape-allflesh-10pc-complete.jpg

by replacing the jack bit, with small 'springs', that would slip onto the 'stem' on the unit, that normally requires alligator clips or wire (as shown).

https://youtu.be/LPe8ojrCfWw
Not a bad idea! Missed the deal this time. There will be another :D

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”