2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lnikj wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:49 pm
Shabdahbriah wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:41 pm
lnikj wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:09 pm Pondering an Error Instruments Cloudbusting but so far not spent a penny for BF.
Wow, I'd forgotten all about this one until very recently. When it came out (as a desktop unit) I thought it might be cool to mod some of these:

landscape-allflesh-10pc-complete.jpg

by replacing the jack bit, with small 'springs', that would slip onto the 'stem' on the unit, that normally requires alligator clips or wire (as shown).

https://youtu.be/LPe8ojrCfWw
Not a bad idea! Missed the deal this time. There will be another :D
Yeah, I missed it also. In thinking about that mod, I remembered after I posted, that I had thought it would be easier to solder an alligator clip to the pad thingy, and cut off the clips 'end' (tip), so that just the long trough between the serrated 'teeth', would make contact with the posts. This idea was based on the amount of self-patching available on the device.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

I got an Allflesh kit a while back, and then lost my soldering iron. And then I didn't really think about it because based on messing with the "Skin" module I'm not convinced it'd be all that great anyway.

But an alligator clip version would be cool, especially alongside a Pulsar-23 or whatever that new thing Soma has teased is.

I got a Fat Toad dual laptop DJ stand for my birthday, and just set it up last night. At least my Launchpad X and Model:Cycles have a home now, but let's just say the studio layout is still a work in progress. I may have to accept that I'm maxed out in terms of gear I can crowd into that corner, but I can still probably improve the ergonomics a bit.

Kind of bricking it about upgrading my PC CPU as just learned that once the new BIOS is in place my old processor is no longer supported. Oh yeah and there’s apparently no way of backing up my BIOS profile so I guess lots of screenshots will have to do. Yikes, but I’ll hope for the best and push on through. I have done this loads of times so not sure why it always gives me anxiety.

Edit: Hmmm updated BIOS and my old processor still works. That's good news if the new one turns out be a dud I can reuse the 2700x.
Oh well, took the day off to do this so here goes nothing...
Last edited by WatchTheGuitar on Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Bought the JAM Pedals compressor as a last minute BF deal... Were busy at work and on 10 hour days,
so the money wasn't a big deal for all of this BF stuff. :shrug:

In fear of the rising inflation and the supply chains choking out.
Just took delivery of my new Crumar Mojopedals...
Finally have USB foot controller connectivity to the box.

Need a case now. Any suggestions?
(8"x21"x26")

BBFG# wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:18 pm In fear of the rising inflation and the supply chains choking out.

(8"x21"x26")
That’s a great rationalization for a large part of this thread. :hug:

elxsound wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:46 am
BBFG# wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:18 pm In fear of the rising inflation and the supply chains choking out.

(8"x21"x26")
That’s a great rationalization for a large part of this thread. :hug:
These types of controllers have a specific history for their runs. I've been waiting for the point where stores aren't selling as many as they thought they would and mfg started releasing B stock. Instead, they've pretty much disappeared and gone on back order. And I've noticed other hardware has increased by up to 30% in MAP (with discounted prices increasing around the 10% mark).
My real justification is I needed to fill the floor space where my dog that passed away used to lay.

(8"x21"x26")
What kind of case? I was looking at that pedal and was trying to figure on what you need a case for.
Anyway, pretty simple to make whatever out of wood, or repurpose something else. There are tons
of enclosures available for electrical boxes and whatnot for cheap. Aside from pre-made cases
specifically for your application. If it's just storage, I'd look at the generic injection molded pelican
type cases. They are often surprisingly affordable. :shrug:

Found a hardshell suitcase for less than $100. that should work fine.
Can't see spending over $300. for a case to carry a $500 unit.
In fact at that price, I'm more apt to just buy a second unit.

My TKB, SEQ8 and XL boat arrived today. Such a neat pair of sequencers.

foosnark wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:47 pm I can still probably improve the ergonomics a bit.
Turns out my LCD monitor arm has a second arm for a laptop, which I'd forgotten about because I had it shoved behind, so I could bring the screen closer. It's a little awkward, but it works, and now the Launchpad X is on that.

I took one arm off the dual stand for now, and it's sitting in front of the Minibrute 2S.... again a little bit awkward, but maybe workable. The drum machine's sitting atop that for now. If I wind up hating that I'll probably just get a KVGear L2 stand.

foosnark wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:31 pm
foosnark wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:47 pm I can still probably improve the ergonomics a bit.
Turns out my LCD monitor arm has a second arm for a laptop, which I'd forgotten about because I had it shoved behind, so I could bring the screen closer. It's a little awkward, but it works, and now the Launchpad X is on that.

I took one arm off the dual stand for now, and it's sitting in front of the Minibrute 2S.... again a little bit awkward, but maybe workable. The drum machine's sitting atop that for now. If I wind up hating that I'll probably just get a KVGear L2 stand.
This is my eternal struggle. I try to organize the stuff that I use frequently, so that it's always within reach but I still feel like I could make better use of the space. I also have to keep in mind that things which are okay for cats to sleep on, should be more accessible than things which are not okay for cats to sleep on. :lol:

PC upgraded and it flies now. The bit I thought may have been a pain, taking off the cooler and reinserting it as it has fiddly brackets you have to line up - took zero time - and the thing I thought I could do in 2 secs, adding a second M.2 drive, took ages because fitting my first M.2 drive was easy when I had the motherboard out of the case, but trying to screw in the tiniest stupid screws in the world when you can't see what you're doing was almost as much of a nightmare as Rosalind.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Finally picked up Spectrasonics Keyscape. Shouldn't have waited years to do it. Some lovely sounds in there. The Rhodes Classic, the CP70, etc. The C7 grand blends nicely with NI's The Grandeur (seems like I'm seldom 100% satisfied with one single sampled piano and often get results that please me more by blending two of them).

That's it for 2021. Probably for a while, really. Much more hardware and my work space will quickly start to feel overcrowded. Still have space on the Spider stand for one more (smaller) keyboard that's set aside for the Behringer Wave...if that turns out well and doesn't take forever to materialize.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”