2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I acquired a 24 channel console over the weekend. A Soundcraft Spirit Studio LC from 1994. It's in nearly perfect condition but the owner said that the main outs didn't work. As soon as I powered it on, I noticed that the PFL light was on. I went through the board turning off PFL on all of the channels and once the the light turned off, the main outs came to life.
It's not as sturdy as my old Amek/TAC Scorpion but it sounds really good and every channel has balanced Tape Send/Returns. I still have a working Alesis HD24, so I'm thinking I could turn this into a badass DAWless setup. It may also become part of a mobile tracking studio, if my plans for later in the year come together.

I also ordered a Make Noise Strega. Should arrive midweek.

foosnark wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:50 pm Finally ordered myself some Knurlies. I feel a little silly spending so much on screws,...
I thought the same. So I did even a detour with the black FrapTools ones first.

After the first batch of Knurlies was transferred into a rack, I ordered the second one. :wink: They are just stunning practical and great time savers. :love:

And they have a high quality finish, so they are just another target for real wigglers. :D

The price isn't really so bad for the knurlies, I buy stainless steel cap head screws in bulk. They are about 10 for 250, M3 6mm. The place makes knurled head thumb screws (shoulder type) which is what the knurlies are basically, and even in bulk they are easily $2 ea or more. The biggest problem with the knurlies for me, is that they are not stainless steel, fortunately I prefer the look of the cap heads as well.

pekbro wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:56 am The biggest problem with the knurlies for me, is that they are not stainless steel, fortunately I prefer the look of the cap heads as well.
What property makes you prefer stainless steel?

salt water

Maui!

Me -> :dog:

Thanks.

Yeah salt in the air, I live a block from the ocean. It's not bad, the stuff doesn't corrode to nothing, but it will tarnish, and I have to clean it a lot. :?

Since vurt doesn't hang out at Muffs, I'll post this so here, I couldn't resist getting on board with this one: the Freak Shift from sketchy labs.

https://youtu.be/z14b01s52D4

i try to avoid muffs because it gets expensive :lol:
as does people posting vids :o
nice module for sure, can see that being lots of fun. seems quite deep too lots of potential :tu:

Got this from Perfect Circuit today.

I didn't think it'd come until next week, but I'm not complaining. :hyper:

This is more fun than I expected!

vurt wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:07 pm i try to avoid muffs because it gets expensive :lol:
Aye, that's true :lol:

I have been looking for a freq shfter for a while and this one is strange and unusual, so I had
to have it. The prototype in the vid, is like 8 in deep or something, but the release version
is only about 3 in. About $300 or so, not too bad. :tu:

pekbro wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:45 pm Yeah salt in the air, I live a block from the ocean. It's not bad, the stuff doesn't corrode to nothing, but it will tarnish, and I have to clean it a lot. :?
Yeah never noticed the location... but 1 block away! Very nice. I grew up by the water, but have spent the past 10 years 3 blocks from the Hudson, which is 3 blocks too many (and the Hudson is not an Ocean).

elxsound wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:21 pm Got this from Perfect Circuit today.

I didn't think it'd come until next week, but I'm not complaining. :hyper:

This is more fun than I expected!

How do you like the sound quality? I have one ordered too... should be here today or tomorrow.

elxsound wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:28 pm
pekbro wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:45 pm Yeah salt in the air, I live a block from the ocean. It's not bad, the stuff doesn't corrode to nothing, but it will tarnish, and I have to clean it a lot. :?
Yeah never noticed the location... but 1 block away! Very nice. I grew up by the water, but have spent the past 10 years 3 blocks from the Hudson, which is 3 blocks too many (and the Hudson is not an Ocean).
Yeah, I can't see the water from my house, not without standing on the roof or something, but
I can hear it, there is a semi-permanent kick drum sound in the background. :band2:

vurt wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:07 pm i try to avoid muffs because it gets expensive :lol:
True that.
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”