2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:15 pm
elxsound wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:38 pm OOooh. Looks like a Meris pedal box!

I'm doing my own countdown today for Mimeophon, Rosie, and surprisingly Magnetophon! Mimeophon and Rosie are going to complete Pod1 because moddemix came yesterday.

I have no tapes here to use with Magnetophone and no spot for it (for now).

I ordered a Morphagene over the weekend too, but I haven't settled on keeping the same idea for 20hp.

Shabdahbriah made some good points about another 48hp case (giving better credit here this time I think), because I could always add some extra modules to make it another self-contained box if I want it to be. This time, Instead of another Rosie or XOH, I was looking at ALM Busy Circuit's HPO Headphone Output. It's just 2hp and it simply adds a single stereo out.
im sure i must at least be ahead of you in the restraint league? :lol:

nice little set up already, lots to learn, mimeophone, it's more than just a delay! :ud:

another noodle.
a drum, caught in mode one, stretched up to 7, then bring up the repeats, then smudge it a bit by modulating the two time knobs up and down a bit...
stretch and increase to self resonating repeats, add filter on one output and serve...

http://www.viablehybrid.com/vurt/testtu ... in%202.mp3

ive already got hours of mimeophone recordings :lol:
Oh yeah, definitely ahead of me! :lol:

But to my credit, all I get to do with it at the moment is drop the modules in a take this photo! So there's my restraint. I need to finish the daily grind before I can play.

And damn, you are so going to love Strega. :hihi:

Lovely sounds... That's crazy that it started from a drum. It's just so smooth. It reminds me that I've always loved the soundhack stuff. I never pulled the trigger on the plugins, but I always liked them. I think this suits me better (in a hardware form).

I also ordered some stands from 3Dwaves for the MN trio (but a 2 tier stand) and the 4MS pod. I can't fit much on my desk space without them (I was trying really hard not to order them, but the space was too tight, so this is going to help.

justin3am wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:10 pm Well, I've sold around 520HP worth of modules and I'm down to 1044HP.
I had meant to ask you where you had your stuff listed? I sold a number of modules really quickly (and bought some to) through several facebook threads dedicated to that purpose, but left there when it got insanely polarized and nasty, about a year ago. (haven't been back)
justin3am wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:10 pm I decided to get a 14Ux126HP MDLR case: https://www.mdlrcase.com/eurorack-case- ... eries-pro/
This is a bigger case than I would normally prefer but at least I can separate the top and bottom sections and use them as separate synths. Increasingly, I prefer to have utilities in the 1u format, so this will give me a lot more of that.
That is an awesome gorgeous case! 8)
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:41 pm
justin3am wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:10 pm Well, I've sold around 520HP worth of modules and I'm down to 1044HP.
I had meant to ask you where you had your stuff listed? I sold a number of modules really quickly (and bought some to) through several facebook threads dedicated to that purpose, but left there when it got insanely polarized and nasty, about a year ago. (haven't been back)
I usually start with Craigslist, as there are no fees and I don't have to deal with shipping. Sometimes people can be a little weird IRL but I've also met some interesting people that way.
If something doesn't move after a week on CL, I post it on ModWiggler. I've had good look there but people always want to pay with friends and family. My last resort is reverb or eBay. I'll usually ask at least $50 more there.
Some things I only offer privately. Stuff I've gotten for free or as payment for work I've done or things that I want the option to buy back at some point.

elxsound wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:29 pm Image
Looks great!

justin3am wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:15 pm
Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:41 pm
I usually start with Craigslist, as there are no fees and I don't have to deal with shipping. Sometimes people can be a little weird IRL but I've also met some interesting people that way.
If something doesn't move after a week on CL, I post it on ModWiggler. I've had good look there but people always want to pay with friends and family. My last resort is reverb or eBay. I'll usually ask at least $50 more there.
Some things I only offer privately. Stuff I've gotten for free or as payment for work I've done or things that I want the option to buy back at some point.
Cool, thanks. Will keep this in mind. I've only sold/bought (second-hand) through facebook, but am considering reverb, as I am wanting to avoid getting drawn back into the facebook time-drain . CL is just 'too' (everything) for me. :hihi:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

During the pandemic I developed a system for Craigslist deals. I don't mind people coming by my house for gear, but I don't necessarily want to interact with them. With my car parked in my driveway, I put the thing I'm selling in the trunk and lock it. I have them drop the money on my front porch, then I open the trunk from inside the house. No contact necessary.
Craigslist in LA is insane. I've found some incredible deals on studio equipment, tools and furniture. But I've also met some wacky characters and feared for my safety once or twice. Certain kinds of deals, I usually bring a friend along.

Just keep in mind with Reverb, you're paying like 7.5% in fees. They do discounts on UPS shipping but most eurorack stuff can be shipped via first-class mail for much cheaper.

I had a Nektar facebook account for about 6 months. That place is definitely not my speed.

Picked up Plughugger’s new preset pack for Omnisphere “Mints” based on sounds from a mini synth built in an Altoids mint tin and I really want that hardware now. Admittedly 90% of the sound is due to the post-processing, but it sounds great. It looks like it was a kit that’s no longer sold so maybe I need to stalk ebay or reverb.com?

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I have yet to sell or buy anything used, it seems a big hassle to me as I am in the middle of
the pacific ocean on an island that is 10 yrs behind everywhere else in terms of music tech.

I prefer to buy new when I can. I like to have a warranty, the option to return if necessary but mostly I like to support the people who make the stuff, directly (more or less). There are things that aren't available new, so used is the only option. I frequently buy broken stuff just to repair and resell. A small side income that has no deadlines. When we're talking about <$50, there is no point in taking it online.

I can imagine that there isn't a huge scene for second hand gear in places like Hawaii but you might be surprised. There could be a small group of people trading stuff back and forth. But then, the combination of high humidity and high salt content in the air tends to be pretty hard on electronics, so there is an extra thing to look out for, I guess.

I get a kick out of chatting with folks when I meet them. They're often as anxious about social engagement as I am but everyone's got a story.
Last edited by justin3am on Wed May 12, 2021 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Probably there is some electronic gear trade going on around here, there are some more eurorack guys definitely. Though they do often seem to be into other modules than me. I almost bought an extra NE Versio, from one of them, but dropped the ball on that and lost it.

Definitely I try to buy direct, often paying more for that actually. IMHO it's the best way to support developers and keep them in the business of making cool stuff that I can buy. :tu:

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:37 pm
vurt wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:34 pm
Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:26 pm
vurt wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:38 am 13:24 - 14:24 for my data bender!
currently 11:38 :cry:
I'm fairly confident that you will come to the conclusion rather quickly, that several of these would not be overkill. The 'instant gratification' and 'serendipitous' events, are over the top with this thing. (imho)

So I'll remind you now... pressing RECORD is your friend. :wink:
always do! both 2 track and stems :D

Screenshot_2021-05-11-13-30-25-558~2.jpg

yay! 13:30 not bad parcel force!
Woo-Hoo!!! :party: :tu:
not even sure what time i got to bed last night, or indeed remember much of what happened.
but i know i enjoyed it if i saw the beginning of day light before i got to bed :hihi:

crazy shit time warp stuff happened! that's what! :o

vurt wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:27 pm
not even sure what time i got to bed last night, or indeed remember much of what happened.
but i know i enjoyed it if i saw the beginning of day light before i got to bed :hihi:

8) I love when that 'happens'.

Probably best to avoid pre-ordering this then:
Qu-Bit_Aurora.png
:hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Wed May 12, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:lol:

Shabdahbriah wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:45 pm
vurt wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:27 pm

8) I love when that 'happens'.

Probably best to avoid pre-ordering this then:

Qu-Bit_Aurora.png

:hihi:
I have been GASed.

i knew we would find his kryptonite eventually.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”