2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

elxsound wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:54 pm At the same time I bought the moddemix, I bought the black greyscale faceplate because I thought it was going to bother me (having just 1 small silver module).

Turns out IRL, I'm okay!
Y'know its weird, but the only MakeNoise module I have is an original ModDeMod. Its like, I was into them before they were popular, man.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:58 pm
Shabdahbriah wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:45 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:37 pm Both...
Ah. 8) ... the AFG has been one of those things I keep putting off, but has remained of interest to me for ages, as well as the Voltage Mechanic.
Me wanting one dated back to when Livewire and Plan B were just about the only 'boutique' Eurorack companies. Never quite managed; exchange rates got stupid, and they got very hard to find. Eventually, a few years later, I finally managed to get one of the signed limited edition ones (#13!!!) and the Cyclotron second-hand.
The availability issue was a major part of my not getting the AFG, as I had trouble finding a used one, whenever I looked. Glad they are back in production.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:05 pm The availability issue was a major part of my not getting the AFG, as I had trouble finding a used one, whenever I looked. Glad they are back in production.
Yeah, I was pretty lucky, TBH.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

well matches my prism too.

i do think i now need/desire some sort of arcade buttons for triggers
a standalone bank of 8 would be fun.

have that on the table for easy triggering of various stutters and hold functions on several modules!

elxsound wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:54 pm At the same time I bought the moddemix, I bought the black greyscale faceplate because I thought it was going to bother me (having just 1 small silver module).

Turns out IRL, I'm okay!
:hihi:

not much point trying to keep it similar in my case, so many different companies
maybe if i was sticking with one brand, id see it different.

i like the chaos though, helps identify where i need to be to get the right module at a glance!
my bug is smaller, but as it's all blue, i find it more difficult to navigate once there's a load of cables in the way as well.

vurt wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:16 pm well matches my prism too.

have that on the table for easy triggering of various stutters and hold functions on several modules!
addac_304-black.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:28 pm
vurt wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:16 pm well matches my prism too.

addac_304-black.png
i was thinking more like a koma sized box of proper arcade smash buttons :hihi:
for freak out glitch sessions!!!

that's cool though, could work so long as i remember to put it in the flat box not the uprights :lol:

I don't really know what I'd use it for but the MIDI FIghter controllers look like a lot of fun!

Though the Euro way would be to put a few Horstronic button modules in a skiff, maybe with a joystick and Pressure Points... :D

I have several (4) of these, and they are awesome!

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/synthwerks-mg-1

Shabdahbriah wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:46 pm I have several (4) of these, and they are awesome!

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/synthwerks-mg-1
that's more like it! :tu: a little skiff full of those! the button spacing is better for more "lively" playing :hihi:

and as imrae suggests, maybe a joystick or two for the cv, nice little live performance box!

i think this will be a future loss of the restraint league though, as table top space would need organising and there's other stuff needed before then (mixer output/strega/some utility bits) and then it turns in to that time of year i have to spend on everyone else :hihi:

can't seem to get the missus in to the modular, and rosie is a bit young to buy modules for yet... (getting her plenty of noise toys in preparation though).

my creative mind is thinking
"this guy has been very helpful".

but i just passed the hall, and saw my wallet crying in the corner :o

:lol:

vurt wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:22 pm

Turns out IRL, I'm okay!
:hihi:

not much point trying to keep it similar in my case, so many different companies
maybe if i was sticking with one brand, id see it different.

i like the chaos though, helps identify where i need to be to get the right module at a glance!
my bug is smaller, but as it's all blue, i find it more difficult to navigate once there's a load of cables in the way as well.
To me that's the dream... but occasionally OCD kicks in with different things. I thought it was better to be prepared (because I hated the mock-up). At least the faceplate was cheap!

Down the road, especially when I get into utility modules there definitely won't be much point in trying to keep anything the same.

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:01 pm

Turns out IRL, I'm okay!
Y'know its weird, but the only MakeNoise module I have is an original ModDeMod. Its like, I was into them before they were popular, man.
I want to complain about the scarcity of their modules because they truly are popular right now, but I'm part of the problem. Desktop modules meant I could bring home a taste of modular without scaring the missus and I'm sure many others saw the same opportunity!

Even my Pod got the pass because all I had to do was show her how "pitiful" my 48hp box looks compared to the monster boxes. :phew:

I'm not so certain how she'll take to a 2nd box (now on its way) :o

"you liked mine so much, i bought you one" :tu:

vurt wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:39 pm "you liked mine so much, i bought you one" :tu:
And yet, I can only think of the Simpson's episode, where Homer bought Marge a bowling ball (with his name engraved on it) for her birthday. :lol:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”