IK announces UNO Synth Pro

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The thing with Pro that might make them think it's not needed is that all those "hidden" features in the original Uno can be accessed using the screen and the Data in put encoder. Hopefully it is just a lower priority this time around because having a VST editor is a huge benefit.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:48 am The thing with Pro that might make them think it's not needed is that all those "hidden" features in the original Uno can be accessed using the screen and the Data in put encoder. Hopefully it is just a lower priority this time around because having a VST editor is a huge benefit.
I hope so, because from the review seeing how most of the things are accessed, it doesnt make it any more "intuitive" then my access virus ti snow. This synth is on my list to buy, love the sound, but only if there will be a VST editor. Plus i have no free space near me, so remote control by vst is a must anyways :)

I planned a Wavestate, but now I've heard the Uno I think it fits my setup better. I really like the sound.

That said, if a hw synth needs a sw editor anno 2021, did not the design fail? Though I think it's not a big thing for me.

The Wavestate was the last hardware synth I bought, obviously a totally different thing altogether (its hard to think of two more different synths!) so I guess you really have to decide what you need...the sound of a subtractive 3 osc analogue in a very small form factor or a sample based sequencing synth capable of massive moving and evolving soundscapes (and realistic instruments). Probably the only thing they have in common in fact is that neither of them has a computer editor ;-)

For me I make the big background sounds with my Wavestate (almost compete backing tracks!) and then solo over it with the Hydrasynth and that works for me. My UNO (and Skulp) are sequenced and processed/mixed in to my Circuit Tracks as a little desktop set up...if I get a PRO that is where it will probably live....

Incidentally, I love the Circuit Tracks for this, a great partner for desktop synths like the UNO as it has 2 midi sequencing tracks and 2 audio inputs where you can add mix, FX and even sidechain the external synths.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

excuse me please wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:28 amThat said, if a hw synth needs a sw editor anno 2021, did not the design fail? Though I think it's not a big thing for me.
It doesn't need it but there is no denying it's a good thing to have. All my hardware has one, except the Rocket, which has no patch memory anyway. One of the big reasons I got rid of my Minilogue and Monologue was that they didn't have one.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I just discovered something really cool. If you have the sequencer playing and you change patches, nothing changes until the end of the sequence. I checked and the original Uno is the same, I'd just never tried it before tonight. With the 64 step sequencer and 256 memory slots, it means you could improvise some pretty serious arrangements.

@BONES I will pass along your kind words and will bump the requests for an editor.

For those interested in hearing more examples, Jakob Haq created this track with all UNO Synth Pro parts (except the vocals) and I quite like it:

https://youtu.be/-NHS3YJaVAo

Nice! It takes full advantage of Uno Pro's nasty side.

Another nice UNO Jam (driven by a Circuit Tracks ;-))

https://youtu.be/IemTJn1JNdw?t=383
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

That is another nice one, BoBeats also has a sound demo that cuts to the chase with the title "UNO Synth Pro sounds REALLY good" and Jakob Haq has another video coming which explains how he made that track with UNO Synth Pro apparently.

https://youtu.be/Ut7xCSOTv7w

You'll notice Bo Beats doesn't, at any point, say whether he likes it or not. It's all very dry and the impression I get is that he actually doesn't like it much. He admits to not being impressed by the original Uno, too.

I just discovered a nice feature - on all the Unos, the Osc Detune goes in cents for a while, before moving to semitones. That means that you can't detune one oscillator by +10 cents and the other by 1 Octave +/- 10 cents. But with Uno Pro you can, by using the DATA knob and the screen. It's a very cool find for me.

BoBeats has two videos and basically he's very intentionally going out of his way to not sound like he's hyping it but he does like UNO Synth Pro. He's been accused of being a "corporate shill" elsewhere so he's super sensitive about it and I foresee many videos where he's holding his cards close to his chest, sadly.

I've had it a couple of weeks now and do you know what? I think of all the synths I've owned over the last 40 years, Uno Pro is my favourite. The sound is unbelievably huge. e.g. I took a part I'd done using 16 voice unison with bx_oberhausen and switched it out for Uno Pro and Uno Pro sounds even bigger, without any unison at all. It's incredible. Even paraphonic patches, with just one osc per voice, can hold their own against unison patches in other synths. It's amazing! I love the sound, I love the architecture of the synth, I love the form factor, I love how easy it is to patch and I really love the "Drive" effect. I even love playing it from its own tiny keyboard. I love everything about it.

Such lucky matches do not happen too often. Enjoy the ride.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Yeah, I've bought an even dozen synths in the last 5 or 6 years and most of them didn't click - JP08, JU06, Minilogue, Monologue, Skulpt, Craft 2.0, Pulse 2, MicroMonsta. After the initial period of excitement at having something new and different to play with, I very quickly lost interest. But I also bought some synths that I really like - Analog Keys, Rocket and Uno - but Uno Pro has clicked from the get-go in a way that only Rocket has in as long as I can remember. I love the sounds I can get out of Analog Keys but, like Ultranova, I don't really like using it. The good thing is that, like the Unos, both have VST editors that make them much easier to work with, so I can enjoy their sound without having to fight with their front panels.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”