microphone for recording my television with

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BertKoor wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:53 pm Most (if not all) TV's have line outputs. Sometimes it's on SCART, sometimes accessible via HDMI. Anyway, one needs to have better sound than the built-in speakers.

Is there a set-top-box maybe inbetween the antenna cable and the TV itself? Can you post the details of your TV so we can look up it's exact connectivity on the back?
Thanks Bert. You're right it does have a line output. It's just some old tv that was given to me for free, Luxor brand it is. I don't really use the tv much. It's because i was looking at this from the perspective of buying a handy recorder and what would/could i use it for, that's how i was so dim!

Right, i'm sorted for recording a stream with Audacity. Thanks everybody! I guess i don't need pay for anything this time. :D

Yet another approach if an url from youtube, facebook or vimeo - download to a file that you later can listen too or take into editor or convert first and do that.

Rightclick url and copy url to clipboard and into software.

I use AnyVideoConverter Free daily on everything
https://www.anvsoft.com/any-video-converter-free.html

If you in settings set manually choose format you get a list of all formats available, just audio, or video various formats etc.

I usually get mp4 just by downloading it, but can choose from 100ds of formats if necessary.
And lot of software can extract audio from video files so very rare I need to do that.

My bad. I didn't realise you were going for best sound quality too. Sometimes best audio quality is not the desired outcome
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

melomood wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:09 pm My bad. I didn't realise you were going for best sound quality too. Sometimes best audio quality is not the desired outcome
I've wanted to make field recordings to use for my music and just for listening to, since quite a long time. But i hadn't yet bought a portable/handheld recorder. I was looking at which to buy and thinking about what i would/could use it for. Then i realised that my health condition recently would prohibit being able to get out to make field recordings. So i thought that i'll have to make do with television recordings of old movies. Then i thought i won't need an expensive handheld recorder, i could do it with just a microphone. I hadn't thought yet but then Bert pointed out that all i really need is a phono to 1/4 inch jack cable. But even cheaper than that and i've checked the sound quality is fine, is recording a stream from the internet. So now i'm set, and i haven't spent a penny. So thankyou everybody!

I wouldn't be surprised if i can find other people's field recordings online too.

lfm wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:07 pm Yet another approach if an url from youtube, facebook or vimeo - download to a file that you later can listen too or take into editor or convert first and do that.

Rightclick url and copy url to clipboard and into software.

I use AnyVideoConverter Free daily on everything
https://www.anvsoft.com/any-video-converter-free.html

If you in settings set manually choose format you get a list of all formats available, just audio, or video various formats etc.

I usually get mp4 just by downloading it, but can choose from 100ds of formats if necessary.
And lot of software can extract audio from video files so very rare I need to do that.
Cheers

I posted something recently on gearslutz re thism you can use Windows built in recorder. You will need a virtual sound driver to route and record what you here. I will have to check later. Otherwise check my posts same nick on gearslutz. Should help and audacity will work just fine.

MFXxx wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:51 pm I posted something recently on gearslutz re thism you can use Windows built in recorder. You will need a virtual sound driver to route and record what you here. I will have to check later. Otherwise check my posts same nick on gearslutz. Should help and audacity will work just fine.
cheers mate

If you don't have a usable line out on your TV the best way to record audio is a HDMI splitter or switch with audio out.

Spring Goose wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:49 pm
MFXxx wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:02 pm Taking a different approach.
Why not simply see if you can stream the broadcast on your pc and record directly.
If adverts YouTube.
Anything else is generally available on line Live or catchup.
Just a thought
Can you recommend a software to record the stream? Forgive me if i'm being dim but it doesn't seem possible using Wavelab Elements or using Bitwig (i checked all the ins)
The ability to directly record streaming is in your hardware, not your software. I find it annoying, but many interfaces are not capable of recording streaming directly into a DAW without some kind of external loopback connection. Focusrite is one of the few I'm aware of that offers this feature in all their interfaces. I'm sure there are a few others.

What are interface are you using?

RichieWitch wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:26 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:49 pm
MFXxx wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:02 pm Taking a different approach.
Why not simply see if you can stream the broadcast on your pc and record directly.
If adverts YouTube.
Anything else is generally available on line Live or catchup.
Just a thought
Can you recommend a software to record the stream? Forgive me if i'm being dim but it doesn't seem possible using Wavelab Elements or using Bitwig (i checked all the ins)
The ability to directly record streaming is in your hardware, not your software. I find it annoying, but many interfaces are not capable of recording streaming directly into a DAW without some kind of external loopback connection. Focusrite is one of the few I'm aware of that offers this feature in all their interfaces. I'm sure there are a few others.

What are interface are you using?
Hiya. I am using Focusrite 2i2, but AFAIK you can record streaming from any audio interface not into your DAW but into the free audio editor Audacity using the WASAPI driver included with Windows.

Get Audacity from here:
https://www.audacityteam.org/

How to set up record streaming with Audacity:

https://audacityguide.com/audacity-reco ... re%20items...

Good luck, let me know how you get on.

Spring Goose wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:18 pm Hiya. I am using Focusrite 2i2,
Ah, that explains it. the Scarlett 2i2 is one of the few Focusrite interfaces that doesn't include the loopback feature that allows you to record steaming content directly into your DAW.

iPhone

SCART to RCA adapter ?
i tried this on my TV but it seems to be broken :-/
should work though?

mztk wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:34 am SCART to RCA adapter ?
i tried this on my TV but it seems to be broken :-/
SCART carries both inputs & outputs. So chances are yours works fine, but you're recording an input instead of the output.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”