My first hardware synth: need some help

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cryophonik wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:42 pm
NickBlanc wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:06 pm BUT, what's with the mixer? I get what it does, but when would you need one? When your audio inputs for the audio interface are not enough? And why do I rarely see a mixer whenever I see someone elses setup with 7 synths and drumcomputers to match?

Or do they use a MIDI through box? And where does the audio go? Or do they just hide this? Those bastards...

I'm sorry but this is just about the limit of my knowledge on the topic.
For most setups, particularly a simple one-synth setup, a mixer is not necessary and most people just use their interface. A mixer becomes beneficial/necessary when you need additional inputs, want a more complex routing configuration (e.g., outboard rack fx), want direct monitoring without roundtrip latency, etc.
If one is depending on the mixer for more inputs, then one will not be able to record all individual tracks simultaneously to the DAW. If you want to do that, better to get an audio interface with more inputs.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:02 pm
One thing I like to do is record a bunch of audio while tweaking the synth... then pull out the useful bits (often percussion stuff or bass sounds) and make sample instruments and or drum kits. Sometimes I import sample into the Rytm. Sometimes I make simple multi-sample instruments.
especially as the op is using live, create a huge array of sample loops for fsu in the box.
and have fun doing it :wheee:

Because I don't see it mentioned here... I think the Roland SE-02 is a great gateway into hardware.

It can save patches, it has multiple patch banks and there's a plugin editor for it (via Studio Electronics).

pdxindy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:56 pm
cryophonik wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:42 pm
NickBlanc wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:06 pm BUT, what's with the mixer? I get what it does, but when would you need one? When your audio inputs for the audio interface are not enough? And why do I rarely see a mixer whenever I see someone elses setup with 7 synths and drumcomputers to match?

Or do they use a MIDI through box? And where does the audio go? Or do they just hide this? Those bastards...

I'm sorry but this is just about the limit of my knowledge on the topic.
For most setups, particularly a simple one-synth setup, a mixer is not necessary and most people just use their interface. A mixer becomes beneficial/necessary when you need additional inputs, want a more complex routing configuration (e.g., outboard rack fx), want direct monitoring without roundtrip latency, etc.
If one is depending on the mixer for more inputs, then one will not be able to record all individual tracks simultaneously to the DAW. If you want to do that, better to get an audio interface with more inputs.
Yeah, that's definitely a consideration if you're running many outboard synths and need to record all at once. Personally, even when I had a room full of hardware and my old Soundcraft mixer, I rarely recorded more than one or two synth parts at a time. But, I agree that an interface with sufficient inputs is far more preferable than a mixer these days and gives you the flexibility to record all of them at once if you want to. For the OP, a mixer is unnecessary anyway, IMO.

As for the OP's question re: synth recommendations, I've never owned the synths in question so I can't help there, but the Behringer stuff has had me sorta interested for a while, so I'm tracking the replies.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

elxsound wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:17 pm Because I don't see it mentioned here... I think the Roland SE-02 is a great gateway into hardware.

It can save patches, it has multiple patch banks and there's a plugin editor for it (via Studio Electronics).
Seconded.

The sound in the demo video did bring the SE-02 to mind for me. Plus it has USB audio.

Torchlight wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:57 am
elxsound wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:17 pm Because I don't see it mentioned here... I think the Roland SE-02 is a great gateway into hardware.

Seconded.

The sound in the demo video did bring the SE-02 to mind for me. Plus it has USB audio.
It's a good sounding synth. My only complaint about it is the controls are so tiny!

pdxindy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:43 am
Torchlight wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:57 am

Seconded.

It's a good sounding synth. My only complaint about it is the controls are so tiny!
Yes. I find this can be a problem for pitch adjustment especially. Because the knobs are so small, it's difficult to do with precision.

Hey wow, thanks for the suggestion. I'm a bit of a Roland fanboy, so this has an added plus. What I hear from the demos, it sounds great. Definitely considering this one as well.

The plot thickens. My girlfriend told me that she might want to start a podcast. You may think, well there's millions of them, how original. Well, she already is a radio presenter (the best in the world :love:) so this is a pretty logical step.

Anyway, now there will be at least 2 extra mics in the equation. And my audio interface only has 2 inputs. Where does that leave my future army of hardware synths?

So, I'm looking into mixers. But what I don't want, is a mixer where every signal is summed to a single master out which I then record. I want every channel recorded seperately. I guess that is only possible with an audio interface with a lot more inputs....oooorrrrr an USB mixer? How does this work? Any recommendations?

i recently grabbed a focusrite 18/20 im very happy with :tu:
has 8 inputs, so plenty for you :)

(can go up to 18 with an expander too)

although, you wont be doing radio/podcast and synths at the same time, so do you really need more?

NickBlanc wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:25 pm Anyway, now there will be at least 2 extra mics in the equation. And my audio interface only has 2 inputs. Where does that leave my future army of hardware synths?

So, I'm looking into mixers. But what I don't want, is a mixer where every signal is summed to a single master out which I then record. I want every channel recorded seperately. I guess that is only possible with an audio interface with a lot more inputs....oooorrrrr an USB mixer? How does this work? Any recommendations?
I'd strongly recommend upgrading your audio interface, rather than adding a mixer. The mixer will just complicate things, require more cables and routing headaches, increased potential for added signal noise, more space, more power usage and heat in your studio, etc. If you get an audio interface with a couple of mic preamps and a bunch of line inputs for your synths, you'll be set. Presonus, MOTU, Focusrite, etc. all make plenty of models that will accommodate your needs and allow you to add more synths/instruments later on.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:46 pm
NickBlanc wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:25 pm Anyway, now there will be at least 2 extra mics in the equation. And my audio interface only has 2 inputs. Where does that leave my future army of hardware synths?

I'd strongly recommend upgrading your audio interface, rather than adding a mixer. The mixer will just complicate things, require more cables and routing headaches, increased potential for added signal noise, more space, more power usage and heat in your studio, etc. If you get an audio interface with a couple of mic preamps and a bunch of line inputs for your synths, you'll be set. Presonus, MOTU, Focusrite, etc. all make plenty of models that will accommodate your needs and allow you to add more synths/instruments later on.
+1

OTOH, if you want a small mixer just to play around with, you can do worse than the Bastl Dude: https://bastl-instruments.com/instruments/dude.

vurt wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:35 pm i recently grabbed a focusrite 18/20 im very happy with :tu:

although, you wont be doing radio/podcast and synths at the same time, so do you really need more?
Good taste! I grabbed mine last year January. Damn, that seems so long ago!

@Nick, For podcasting... an important question before buying a mixer, or an audio interface... what mics are you looking at getting?

Does she intend to only record at the same fixed location or will she have needs to occasionally move around?

I have a Shure SM7B that I still needed a preamp for. It’s also good to know that Shure now makes the MV7 (based on the SM7B) which can also be used as a USB mic. There’s also several other USB mic options that could also work very well.

Either way, it’s a good idea to figure out the mics and logistical needs before choosing a mixer or interface.

Podcasting is so popular that there’s a ton of dedicated tools (mixers, mics, software) that it’s worth exploring a preferred workflow first (or else spend unwanted extra time with setup and or editing in post). As she’s already a vocal talent, she probably already knows what she likes to work with.

elxsound wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:03 am
vurt wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:35 pm i recently grabbed a focusrite 18/20 im very happy with :tu:

Good taste! I grabbed mine last year January. Damn, that seems so long ago!

@Nick, For podcasting... an important question before buying a mixer, or an audio interface... what mics are you looking at getting?

Does she intend to only record at the same fixed location or will she have needs to occasionally move around?

I have a Shure SM7B that I still needed a preamp for. It’s also good to know that Shure now makes the MV7 (based on the SM7B) which can also be used as a USB mic. There’s also several other USB mic options that could also work very well.

Either way, it’s a good idea to figure out the mics and logistical needs before choosing a mixer or interface.

Podcasting is so popular that there’s a ton of dedicated tools (mixers, mics, software) that it’s worth exploring a preferred workflow first (or else spend unwanted extra time with setup and or editing in post). As she’s already a vocal talent, she probably already knows what she likes to work with.
Thanks for the heads-up about the microphones. I am indeed looking at the Shure SM7B and I already read that a preamp would probably be needed. So I'm looking at something like Cloudfilter or a cheaper alternative. I'm not that worried about the workflow, she indeed has her own and it revolves around editing in post (she rarely does live radio).

Also you all convinced me that upgrading is the way to go. It indeed seems the easiest.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”