Di necessary before audio interface?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have heard conflict information

To connect what exactly?

If you have the option: try with and without, then draw your conclusion.
They need to be pretty expensive. A cheap DI is worse than no DI.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

It also sometimes depends on what your input source is. Things like ribbon mics and basses with active pups can really benefit from a GOOD DI.
A cheap DI is worse than no DI.
Agree 100%. The same can be said of preamps.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Four factors: Is the source balanced?, level of the source, impedance of the source, length of the cable.
If its a synth or a preamp, the impedance matches already, and the level is set. If the output isn’t balanced a DI will help for long cables, if its balanced all is set already. Low level signals like those from mics should always be balanced for longer distances…

BertKoor wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:28 am
They need to be pretty expensive. A cheap DI is worse than no DI.
Typical uninformed nonsense, blankets statements like that are ridiculous, cost does not always equate to quality.
"A bad quality DI is worse than a clean signal with no DI"
Duh

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:11 pm Four factors: Is the source balanced?, level of the source, impedance of the source, length of the cable.
If its a synth or a preamp, the impedance matches already, and the level is set. If the output isn’t balanced a DI will help for long cables, if its balanced all is set already. Low level signals like those from mics should always be balanced for longer distances…
This is a good response. :tu:
It depends on what you are connecting to the interface and also what type of inputs the interface has. If you are connecting a guitar and your interface has a 'hi-z' or 'Instrument' input, then you most likely won't need a DI. If your interface only has a mic input, then you will probably want an outboard DI for a guitar. If your interface only has line inputs, you might want an active DI or a preamp with a hi-z input to connect a guitar.

For synths, going straight into a line input is probably the most straight forward option but then again, I do run a few of my synths through active DIs, because the preamps and transformers inside impart some character.

And DI isn’t DI. If its passive, it needs to have very good transformers which have some nonlinearities and alter the signal (you may call it character). If its active, its probably pretty clean though you could still clip it…

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”