Waldorf M Wavetable Synthesizer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
chk071
KVRAF
30680 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:39 pm

kobal wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:06 pm
can you recomend some plugin for that type of sound caractere ? i hope largo is not the closest
Why? :)
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
20893 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:24 pm

kobal wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:06 pm
EvilDragon wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:02 pm
Not even close.
can you recomend some plugin for that type of sound caractere ? i hope largo is not the closest
I don't know a software synth that sounds like the M... there might be some plugin out there cause there are many I've never tried, but nothing I've heard comes close.

kobal
KVRist
488 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:06 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:39 pm
kobal wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:06 pm
can you recomend some plugin for that type of sound caractere ? i hope largo is not the closest
Why? :)
cause overall largo still far from that sound

chk071
KVRAF
30680 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:27 am

If you say so. :) I don't have a M here, so, I can't judge that.

IMO, all of Waldorf synths have sort of a signature sound though. Not all the same, but, similar. AND, the Largo has all of the wavetables of the original Microwave, and also the option to change the wavetable resolution, so that it's closer to the way the original Waldorf synths resolved the waveforms. It surely will be the closest you can get in software.

If you need exactly that sound, there probably isn't a way around getting the M.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

kobal
KVRist
488 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:39 am

chk071 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:27 am
If you say so. :) I don't have a M here, so, I can't judge that.

IMO, all of Waldorf synths have sort of a signature sound though. Not all the same, but, similar. AND, the Largo has all of the wavetables of the original Microwave, and also the option to change the wavetable resolution, so that it's closer to the way the original Waldorf synths resolved the waveforms. It surely will be the closest you can get in software.
to create some similar presets maybe with the wavetables but overall it sound more like blofeld while the M to me sound better from what i have heard. i didn t lust for any hardware since long time but this seems sepcial to me, it s not a sound i m used to hear it really have his own caractere to me.
Diversion dosen t have the wavetable obviously and is maybe not closer than largo to this but it can also have that similar "digital sound " you hear on waldorf synths.
i use largo since first version and yes it wouldn t be my first choice to try to get closer to the M or even iridium sound caractere but maybe i would fail completly :)

the M sound almost like perfection with my curent taste , i feel like this synth will be a classic, since the late 90s it s one of the few intresting new digital hardware synth to me

chk071
KVRAF
30680 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:55 am

Largo definitely sounds much like the Blofeld. I had both here for a couple of days, and compared them. Actually, they were that similar that I decided to keep Largo and send the Blofeld back. ;) (Programming the Blofeld was very tedious...) Slight differences in terms of brightness (Largo is brighter), and the bass boost wasn't that prominent in the Blofeld.

I'm sure there'll be more differences to the M. It will still be as close as you can get in Software.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

veloheinz
KVRist
68 posts since 23 Nov, 2009

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:33 am

does someone have the M1A + M ?
where is the difference ?
envelope speed, sound density.

kobal
KVRist
488 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:41 am

chk071 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:55 am
Largo definitely sounds much like the Blofeld. I had both here for a couple of days, and compared them. Actually, they were that similar that I decided to keep Largo and send the Blofeld back. ;) (Programming the Blofeld was very tedious...) Slight differences in terms of brightness (Largo is brighter), and the bass boost wasn't that prominent in the Blofeld.

I'm sure there'll be more differences to the M. It will still be as close as you can get in Software.
i m not suprised cause largo and blfled are made by the same person , he now work for traktion and programed synth like bio tek 2 , it s very similar sound engine to largo and blofeld you hear it easy if you try the filters , saturation ,how the synth react ect.. i guess for contracts he can t promote it as ex waldorf employe , it s very close sound and i think there is no wavetable and probably cause of this.. it would be like largo 2.

for me the wavetables that comes with i really don t care, even if it s part of waldorf sound, what intrest me is the overall sound of the engine and to be abble to load my wavetable. i never owned a waldorf hardware and if there is some classic patchs with their wavetable i m not intrested into this.
by seting up wavetables or the osc with aliasing it cover already a part of what i like in the waldorf sound , i do this on many synths

chk071
KVRAF
30680 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:03 am

kobal wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:41 am
chk071 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:55 am
Largo definitely sounds much like the Blofeld. I had both here for a couple of days, and compared them. Actually, they were that similar that I decided to keep Largo and send the Blofeld back. ;) (Programming the Blofeld was very tedious...) Slight differences in terms of brightness (Largo is brighter), and the bass boost wasn't that prominent in the Blofeld.

I'm sure there'll be more differences to the M. It will still be as close as you can get in Software.
i m not suprised cause largo and blfled are made by the same person , he now work for traktion and programed synth like bio tek 2 , it s very similar sound engine to largo and blofeld you hear it easy if you try the filters , saturation ,how the synth react ect.. i guess for contracts he can t promote it as ex waldorf employe , it s very close sound and i think there is no wavetable and probably cause of this.. it would be like largo 2.
Well.. Stefan Stenzel was involved in the development as well (he was one the guys who developed the original Microwave). And Rolf Wöhrmann, and the guy who developed the software and DSP for the M will also build on the work done by earlier generations of Waldorf developers.

All of Waldorf's synths share a certain similar character for me. From the Microwave to the Iridium to the M. A good example is also Nave. Its filter is different than the one in Largo, but, it has a very similar character.
kobal wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:41 am
for me the wavetables that comes with i really don t care, even if it s part of waldorf sound, what intrest me is the overall sound of the engine and to be abble to load my wavetable. i never owned a waldorf hardware and if there is some classic patchs with their wavetable i m not intrested into this
Well... I wouldn't buy a soft synth from another developer then, because, they will sound more different than the soft synths done by Waldorf.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
20893 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:20 am

kobal wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:39 am
Diversion dosen t have the wavetable obviously and is maybe not closer than largo to this but it can also have that similar "digital sound " you hear on waldorf synths.
i use largo since first version and yes it wouldn t be my first choice to try to get closer to the M or even iridium sound caractere but maybe i would fail completly :)

the M sound almost like perfection with my curent taste , i feel like this synth will be a classic, since the late 90s it s one of the few intresting new digital hardware synth to me
Out of curiosity I listened to a couple Diversion demos and Largo demos. Diversion is a bit closer in sound character, but neither really come close. I've not heard a softsynth come close to what I am hearing on the M.

I've about 16 hours playing the M at this point and most of that is making sounds from INIT. I have yet to hear where it sounds thin, weak, brittle, digital harsh in the not good way. Even making thin or weak sounds they don't sound thin or weak if that makes sense. The sound quality and presence is truly exceptional.

I also believe this synth will be a classic. It's got that magic something.

chk071
KVRAF
30680 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:25 am

pdxindy wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:20 am
Out of curiosity I listened to a couple Diversion demos and Largo demos. Diversion is a bit closer in sound character
It's interesting what you guys hear there. I think Diversion sounds nothing like Waldorf. Really, nada.

I especially wonder what you hear in terms of the M. Diversion is one of the most hi-fi synths I ever heard, if you don't switch the audio engine/treble booster to normal or bright. Wonder how that coincides with the supposedly lo-fi sound of the M.

But, hey...

Anyway, maybe I shouldn't comment on Diversion, as it has been a while since I sold my license. Don't remember it being anywhere close Waldorf-ish though, neither the filter sound, nor the fast envelopes, and the "thump" chunky-ness of Waldorf's synths.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

kobal
KVRist
488 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:28 am

chk071 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:03 am
kobal wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:41 am
chk071 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:55 am
Largo definitely sounds much like the Blofeld. I had both here for a couple of days, and compared them. Actually, they were that similar that I decided to keep Largo and send the Blofeld back. ;) (Programming the Blofeld was very tedious...) Slight differences in terms of brightness (Largo is brighter), and the bass boost wasn't that prominent in the Blofeld.

I'm sure there'll be more differences to the M. It will still be as close as you can get in Software.
i m not suprised cause largo and blfled are made by the same person , he now work for traktion and programed synth like bio tek 2 , it s very similar sound engine to largo and blofeld you hear it easy if you try the filters , saturation ,how the synth react ect.. i guess for contracts he can t promote it as ex waldorf employe , it s very close sound and i think there is no wavetable and probably cause of this.. it would be like largo 2.
Well.. Stefan Stenzel was involved in the development as well (he was one the guys who developed the original Microwave). And Rolf Wöhrmann, and the guy who developed the software and DSP for the M will also build on the work done by earlier generations of Waldorf developers.

All of Waldorf's synths share a certain similar character for me. From the Microwave to the Iridium to the M. A good example is also Nave. Its filter is different than the one in Largo, but, it has a very similar character.
kobal wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:41 am
for me the wavetables that comes with i really don t care, even if it s part of waldorf sound, what intrest me is the overall sound of the engine and to be abble to load my wavetable. i never owned a waldorf hardware and if there is some classic patchs with their wavetable i m not intrested into this
Well... I wouldn't buy a soft synth from another developer then, because, they will sound more different than the soft synths done by Waldorf.
thanks man ! it s to try to save money haha but i think i will see how the M develop / evolve and do myself a nice present for christmas

kobal
KVRist
488 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:32 am

chk071 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:25 am
pdxindy wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:20 am
Out of curiosity I listened to a couple Diversion demos and Largo demos. Diversion is a bit closer in sound character
Anyway, maybe I shouldn't comment on Diversion, as it has been a while since I sold my license. Don't remember it being anywhere close Waldorf-ish though, neither the filter sound, nor the fast envelopes, and the "thump" chunky-ness of Waldorf's synths.
you re not the first to say me that and i have no experience with any hardware waldorf except trying in stores long time ago and you tube, but yes i was listening iridium and it made me think to diversion and it ofteh happen when i listen waldorf synth..i don t have it anymore also Ui was way too small for my eyes but i m pretty sure with adding similar artifacts as some waldorf you re in same therotiry.. they are basically pure "digital synth" with no other color except from the artifacts and type of filters and drive maybe but you can t make the same patchs , just the overall sound as something similar to me.
But not like the M.. the M probably cause of the analog stage sound more unic and special but yes diversion might be the closest i know to great waldorf sound color even if there is no wavetable and its still not that close :D

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
20893 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:05 am

chk071 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:25 am
pdxindy wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:20 am
Out of curiosity I listened to a couple Diversion demos and Largo demos. Diversion is a bit closer in sound character
It's interesting what you guys hear there. I think Diversion sounds nothing like Waldorf. Really, nada.

I especially wonder what you hear in terms of the M. Diversion is one of the most hi-fi synths I ever heard, if you don't switch the audio engine/treble booster to normal or bright. Wonder how that coincides with the supposedly lo-fi sound of the M.
Well... my comment is based on one Diversion audio demo online :lol:

But I heard some bright sounds that have a similar complexity to the M. But others not and in some cases Diversion sounded bit thin or brittle. I'm ignoring the sounds that have no similarity at all cause it is a different architecture.

I think it takes a hi-fi synth to get close to the lo-fi quality of the M. The M is lo-fi that is hi-fi (same like the original MW). And after the Osc's it is an analog signal path.

kobal
KVRist
488 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:59 pm

yes you need to make it lofi, M can have 8 bit osc.the Xt as sample rate artifacts with jitter .
if you find sweet spot of artifacts it sound nicer and not worst lofi become hi fi.. or at least it give a charactere..one that is part of the waldor sound to me . On almost any wavte table synth that sound clean / digital /enought bright , it sound already waldorf to me by getting artifacts in sweep spot by reducing bit depth sample rate and other stuff, or makign the wavetable lofi from the start when creating it.. i listen to the aliasing till it s in a sweet spot.
i heard the M artifacts / aliasing on a sine wave, it s quite nice and prononced also, sort of magical sounding maybe.. ,then with the filter it attenuate it probably but the color is still there without the arsh.
waldorf synths totally changed my way of programing wavetable synths , i love adding digital artifacts , even clicks in the wavetable scan modulation can be suited and adding life depending patchs, it give a sort of old school sound to me.
also tal dac on top can be very nice to make it sound more like hardware digital.
i m not sure but i think some waldorf like ppg and the M and some microwaves, can have very very high sample rate , diversion also, maybe they have clearer top end than blofeld largo XT..

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”