Waldorf M Wavetable Synthesizer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Gadget Fiend
Banned
434 posts since 5 Feb, 2012

Post Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:01 am

EvilDragon wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:54 am
Quantum sounds way too clean compared to the M. They're not even close.
You're spot on. I can't believe people are spending over $4K on a Quantum when they can purchase super hi-fi, extremely complex (in terms of mod routings, etc.) plugins that do most of what Quantum does at a fraction of the cost.

Up until the M, it seems like Waldorf instruments have gotten more and more digital and thin sounding.

EDIT: Although I don't have any direct experience with the Quantum other than online demos I have heard, Quantum can't be any worse than the Blofeld (which preceded it). The Blofeld is just awful, truly awful. I put it with the original Massive from Native Instruments as one of those shrill, grating synths that is incomprehensibly popular.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

EvilDragon
KVRAF
22151 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:35 am

Blofeld can sound really great, and there are soundbanks that showcase it. Same with OG Massive, you can't say that Leap into the void soundbanks all sound shrill and grating. There's real depth there.

Quantum... while you can do stuff it does in plugin world, it's not available all in one plugin. Not in the same way. Also, you can't beat all those knobs, really.

pdxindy
KVRAF
20912 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:25 am

I have a Quantum and the M.

The Quantum sounds quite good. But not really something I don't have in software sonically speaking. Of course it takes multiple software instruments to cover it all. I mean, a single Osc in the Quantum can be a 6 operator FM voice and you can use wavetables as an operator!! And that is just 1 of 3 osc's. It is a unique hardware synth. And yeah... all those lovely knobs and colors... and an excellent keybed. There is nothing else like it.

The M sounds gorgeous... effortlessly dynamic and lively. I was disappointed with the Quantum from day 1 (had it 3 years now) cause I wanted the character and tonality of the M which to me is the classic Waldorf sound. I had the Quantum boxed up to sell for many months now. Now that I have the M, I unboxed the Quantum and have it setup in my studio. I am appreciating it for what it is, rather than wishing it were something else and am finding it impressive now. I still may sell it cause it takes prime studio space and I can get the same character and sounds in software, or close enough.

The M is a keeper. Nothing I have in software gets there and the UI is a pleasure to use.

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:43 pm

There is an experimental firmware for testing (over on Gearspace M thread) that adds LP/BP/HP filters from the MW2 to the M. The plan as I understand it is to finally have all the filter types from the MW2.

_leras
KVRian
986 posts since 20 Apr, 2005

Post Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:40 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:43 pm
There is an experimental firmware for testing (over on Gearspace M thread) that adds LP/BP/HP filters from the MW2 to the M. The plan as I understand it is to finally have all the filter types from the MW2.
It's quite the effort and I hope they can pull it off. If they do, then I hope they take a step further and add some other digital filters as well.

Gadget Fiend
Banned
434 posts since 5 Feb, 2012

Post Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:35 pm

pdxindy wrote:
That would be awesome to have all the digital filters from the MicroWave II. Especially, the odder (but great sounding and very musically useful) filters.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Biome_Digital
KVRAF
1661 posts since 9 Jan, 2014 from Worldwide

Post Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:18 am

pdxindy wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:25 am
I have a Quantum and the M.

The Quantum sounds quite good. But not really something I don't have in software sonically speaking. Of course it takes multiple software instruments to cover it all. I mean, a single Osc in the Quantum can be a 6 operator FM voice and you can use wavetables as an operator!! And that is just 1 of 3 osc's. It is a unique hardware synth. And yeah... all those lovely knobs and colors... and an excellent keybed. There is nothing else like it.

The M sounds gorgeous... effortlessly dynamic and lively. I was disappointed with the Quantum from day 1 (had it 3 years now) cause I wanted the character and tonality of the M which to me is the classic Waldorf sound. I had the Quantum boxed up to sell for many months now. Now that I have the M, I unboxed the Quantum and have it setup in my studio. I am appreciating it for what it is, rather than wishing it were something else and am finding it impressive now. I still may sell it cause it takes prime studio space and I can get the same character and sounds in software, or close enough.

The M is a keeper. Nothing I have in software gets there and the UI is a pleasure to use.
What is it exactly that software doesn't do, for you, that the M does?

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:23 am

Gadget Fiend wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:35 pm
pdxindy wrote:
That would be awesome to have all the digital filters from the MicroWave II. Especially, the odder (but great sounding and very musically useful) filters.
That is the developers wish (he frequents the M thread on Gearspace). He also said it is not promised as there may be issues in trying to squeeze them. So basically he is trying and don't depend on it. :tu:

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:24 am

Biome_Digital wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:18 am
I think I answered that earlier in the thread.

Biome_Digital
KVRAF
1661 posts since 9 Jan, 2014 from Worldwide

Post Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:33 am

pdxindy wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:24 am
Biome_Digital wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:18 am
I think I answered that earlier in the thread.
Can you link please? Very interested.

kobal
KVRian
503 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:38 am

i listened some audio demo of the mw1 and M comparaison, mw1 has more dirt and caractere.

i don t see much point of comparing these 2 different beast but will check the video for sure as a fan of both https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LuuCc9L-Og

edit :they sound closer than i tought, M sound brighter

just for curiosity i wonder how nave compare it might be in same ballpark , it can be close to the Xt and it s same person who worked on it
Last edited by kobal on Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

kobal
KVRian
503 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:06 am

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”