Wavestate, or Modwave

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kritikon wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:06 pm Must admit - I kind of get their representation of the lanes...but it's not really that obvious. In some ways there is less menu diving but the improvements also mean more menu diving. It's def better/easier than the Wavestation...but only a little. TBH I dunno how they can make it more simple without a huge interface?
Yeah... I'm not sure how to make it more simple... maybe an iPad app and dock the iPad on the synth

Vectorman wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:48 pm I guess I'll still end up grabbing a Wavestate eventually. Had a Wavestation EX and A/D years ago and of course used the Wavestation plugin, so the Wavestate is up my alley somewhat. But I think I would've been more excited about it if it had come in a full-sized keyboard with a good quality keybed and a large built-in touchscreen to make editing right on the unit more friendly, having a graphic representation of the wave sequence lanes and such. The way it was implemented with a limited interface that requires a software editor and the cheap-ish hardware design with the poor quality keybed...honestly, now that there's a software editor, I'd be doing all my programming from that anyway and the keyboard is like a big, space-wasting dongle for something that could have just been released as a softsynth.
That’s how I look at these things too. There’s only two reasons to have a physical synth, IMO. One, it provides a very unique sound that’s not easily attainable in software (none of the new Korgs achieved this, IMO) and two, it should be very fun to program from its own interface. The Wavestate definitely seems to fail in this regard. The other two seem good… but do they really provide sounds I can’t get elsewhere? I don’t really think so.

Of course, there’s the person who would rather stick a hot poker in their eye than touch a computer, so for those people, sure. I’m just not one of those people.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:59 pm
That’s how I look at these things too. There’s only two reasons to have a physical synth, IMO. One, it provides a very unique sound that’s not easily attainable in software (none of the new Korgs achieved this, IMO)
Not many wave sequencing VST's

I agree pdxindy. In fact, maybe the only one is Korg's own VST Wavestation, which they finally updated with many great revisions along with many other others in their great Legacy Collection. I can think of ways you might be able to emulate wavesequencing in, say Zebra, where you can draw up to 16 waveforms which can be modulated with any modulator. You could take a multi stage envelope and then modulate the waveforms, either clocking them or not. Of course, it's not like taking a transient drum hit, then a saw, then a conga, then a bass guitar, I know, more what you'd term pseudo wavequencing.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:39 pm
That’s how I look at these things too. There’s only two reasons to have a physical synth, IMO. One, it provides a very unique sound that’s not easily attainable in software (none of the new Korgs achieved this, IMO)
One is plenty for me, and I also own a 002 which does it. I listen to my old tracks made with a Wavestation and a TS-10 and I cringe. I feel that way when I listen to Wavestate demos. A little of that goes a long way. Everything starts sounding like “Ski Jam” really quickly.

There’s two types of wave sequences. One where they jump along as discreet sounds and one where you blend between them. The former gets pretty tiresome to listen to and the latter… well it can be done in most regular wavetable synths.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Vectorman wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:48 pm I guess I'll still end up grabbing a Wavestate eventually. Had a Wavestation EX and A/D years ago and of course used the Wavestation plugin, so the Wavestate is up my alley somewhat. But I think I would've been more excited about it if it had come in a full-sized keyboard with a good quality keybed and a large built-in touchscreen to make editing right on the unit more friendly, having a graphic representation of the wave sequence lanes and such. The way it was implemented with a limited interface that requires a software editor and the cheap-ish hardware design with the poor quality keybed...honestly, now that there's a software editor, I'd be doing all my programming from that anyway and the keyboard is like a big, space-wasting dongle for something that could have just been released as a softsynth.
That’s how I look at these things too. There’s only two reasons to have a physical synth, IMO. One, it provides a very unique sound that’s not easily attainable in software (none of the new Korgs achieved this, IMO) and two, it should be very fun to program from its own interface. The Wavestate definitely seems to fail in this regard. The other two seem good… but do they really provide sounds I can’t get elsewhere? I don’t really think so.

Of course, there’s the person who would rather stick a hot poker in their eye than touch a computer, so for those people, sure. I’m just not one of those people.
Reason number 3: you're working in your DAW 8h per day at your full-time job and after work you want to make music without looking at computer screen with the same DAW/plugins. In that case almost any synth will do the job ;)

kritikon wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:31 am You won't be disappointed sonically with Wavestate.
Thank you for your extensive reply :)
Yep, so far I really like filters and effects. They're way better than, for example in Cobalt8 even that both are digital synths (Cobalt has nice keybed but this is another story).
I don't have time anymore to spend 3 days on 1 preset so most likely I'll work by re-tweaking presets (shame on me not doing it from Init! :D).
Also for classic subtractive sounds I have other synths, so I'll not bother more than just practicing at the very beginning, to learn basics.

I'll grab Wavestate sometime next year. Now I must keep money for relocation to another country so until that time, I can only read, watch and listen to Wavestate on my computer screen :)

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:31 am
One is plenty for me, and I also own a 002 which does it.
The 002 does not do wave-sequencing like Korg. It is only single cycle waves.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:24 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:31 am
One is plenty for me, and I also own a 002 which does it.
The 002 does not do wave-sequencing like Korg. It is only single cycle waves.
Even if... the price difference is ridiculous. I wouldn't even consider it as an alternative just because of that.

modwave does more according to musicradar

borsc wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:21 pm modwave does more according to musicradar
I don't doubt that it's capable of some weird sounds - it's obviously part of a series and IMO Korg put a lot of effort and creativity into these 3 retro-redone synths. Maybe it's just that I've not seen decent demos of it, but every demo of Modwave I've seen doesn't much of anything new or wow. Whereas both the other two have reviews that show original sounds, creative uses, unique styles. I know wavetables should be capable of interesting sounds, especially when Korg throw so much other synth architecture at it. Maybe the creative types for some odd reason haven't made demos of Modwave - they certainly have with Wavestate and Opsix. Maybe Musicradar know something everyone else doesn't? I've not seen any review of Opsix that the user isn't impressed with it once they tweak it, same with Wavestate even if only the presets. But I've not yet seen anyone salivating over a Modwave. :shrug:

Yep, I also didn't heard a demo of Modwave that would have something else than typical "wavetable sounds". Nothing that would makes me want to get it.

Also, someone on GS said that Modwave sound more analog than Wavestate. How? All demos of Modwave that I heard are showing very sharp and precise high frequency spectrum qualities. Leads, even some pads I can often hear them in my teeth. I think that maybe I don't like wavetables? :) Massive and MX are the only exception.

And anyway "sounding more analogue" isn't a good thing for a proper digital synth. The whole point of these synths is their obvious digitalness - that's their strength, their reason for existence, the idea of making something unique out of old digital synths and making them better. If they made Wavestate or Opsix sound analogue...I wouldn't be wanting them (although the filters obviously nod to analogue ones).

The Modwave to me is a perfect compliment to the Waldorf Blofeld, or even other wavetable synths.

Another wonderful about most wavetable synths is you can bypass/disable the filter and this allows for
strict wavetable sweeping to create the timbral shift rather than using a filter.

The filters on the Blofeld sometimes are quite a bit more aliased than other synths.
(Just run a sawtooth through two resonant bandpass filters and you will hear what I mean).

It is easier for me to grasp the Modwave as I have had my experience with my Blofelds.
It is a different programming paradigm for sure, but I like to have variety in my synth hobby.

zaphod betamax wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:48 am The Modwave to me is a perfect compliment to the Waldorf Blofeld, or even other wavetable synths.

Something wonderful about most wavetable synths is you can bypass/disable the filter and this allows for strict wavetable sweeping to create the timbral shift rather than using a filter.

The filters on the Blofeld sometimes are quite a bit more aliased than other synths.
(Just run a sawtooth through two resonant bandpass filters and you will hear what I mean).

It is easier for me to grasp the Modwave as I have had my experience with my Blofelds.
It is a different programming paradigm for sure, but I like to have variety in my synth hobby.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”