Wavestate, or Modwave

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kritikon wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:55 am And anyway "sounding more analogue" isn't a good thing for a proper digital synth. The whole point of these synths is their obvious digitalness - that's their strength, their reason for existence, the idea of making something unique out of old digital synths and making them better. If they made Wavestate or Opsix sound analogue...I wouldn't be wanting them (although the filters obviously nod to analogue ones).
I don't understand how wavetables - which is the only real difference between these two, can sound analogue. Wavetables are digital in their nature. Filters are the same on both, so the difference is not there. I would like to hear an explanation but I removed myself from GS so I can't argue with certified golden-ear audiophiles there ;)

I could kinda understand the comparison to Cobalt8 which sounds definitely 'digital' in comparison to Wavestate/Modwave. Why? Probably because it has a very open high freq range (fully open filter with saw/square is quite nasty), while Korgs seems to be more gentle in that region. It's just one of those EQ tricks that people seem to bait: put 8kHz 12LPF on a digital sound and people will say that it is an analogue sound.

I don't really care if synth sounds digital or analogue (otherwise I wouldn't get Cobalt8 :D). These days those terms mean nothing to me. Wavestate doesn't sound like Cobalt8 (digital) or Odyssey (analogue) at all - thus it's another reason for me, to get it :)

I agree with you pixel85 regarding not caring about a sound's nature, digital, analogue, hybrid, etcetera. Not sure why people care because all that matters is what serves your purpose. If it's digital, fine, use synths with those charaterisitcs, if it's analogue, same thing. Let alone that we've got the luxury of combining them if that's what you want. Regarding end results, like you said, it's often the filter, key scaling, or effects, for that matter, that can tame upper harshness.

I know, it's a software detour guys, but just remembered that one of my favourite softsynths Synthmaster has a pile of different oscillator engines including wavetables which can be modulated by any and all sources.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”