Hardware Analogs with Sine waves?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Good enough for me.
I've ordered the T5 and I'm really looking forward in putting my dirty hands on it.
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

My Super 6 has em. If you combine with tuned/tracked self resonating filter and LFO1 as a VCO, you can have four of the buggers per voice!

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:02 pm My Super 6 has em. If you combine with tuned/tracked self resonating filter and LFO1 as a VCO, you can have four of the buggers per voice!
Wow!! :o That's absolutely crazy. If you got any time over, I would be delighted to hear what you just described.

/C
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:59 pm
Hermetech Mastering wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:02 pm My Super 6 has em. If you combine with tuned/tracked self resonating filter and LFO1 as a VCO, you can have four of the buggers per voice!
Wow!! :o That's absolutely crazy. If you got any time over, I would be delighted to hear what you just described.

/C
It basically just sounds like an organ! 8) Can be great for slow ambient pads too. Will record something next time it's hooked up to the rest of the studio (it's free floating in the bedroom at the mo).

VCO1 can also have 6 slightly detuned "sister" oscillators as well, for 10 sine waves per voice (and it's a 12 voice synth...), but that sounds more like chorus in this context.

Super 6 oscillators are digital tho.

It's still a hardware analogue if you count the VCFs and VCAs though. And FPGA is not like any other digital tech I have ever heard, the sampling rate is in the MHz etc. The VCOs and their PWM, FM, and Sync etc., all sound more "analogue" than digital to me. So I think it counts. ;)

I have always preferred sine waves over all others! Something so ethereal and simple about them and it baffles me why most soft synths neglect them also.
Long live the beautiful sine wave :)

Just a short little review / commentary of the Take 5.

This is a great synth with an enormous sweet-spot. Really difficult to make anything sound bad with it. The filter is great and can manage to make solid kicks. I love the pamphlet-ish manual that everybody have made fun of. It covers everything of importance - no need to go through a 100+ page manual to find stuff.

Two big thumbs up. And yes... the sine waves sounds fantastic :lol:

/C

Roland SH2 has sine.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Wow, been playing the Take5 to my heart’s content. Sine heaven.
This is a beast, sturdy build, perfectly feeling knobs and buttons, great action, but above all, that sound. That wonderful, wonderful sound. It is an analogue beast for sure. So much power in such an amazingly handy package. Kudos to Team Smith for this marvel. Not touching that Prologue anymore, this is where it’s at from now on. Until the OB-X gets launched, of course ;)

egbert101 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:11 pm Only problem with the Take 5 (as far as I'm aware) or not a problem for some is that the synth goes into a digital signal path at the end. So yeah, analog until effects.
The effects on the analogue Prophet 6 are digital too. You can switch ’em off.

Fleer wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:46 am Not touching that Prologue anymore, this is where it’s at from now on.
If I get Take 5 it would never replace Prologue.

Some pros and cons

Dealbreaker now with Take 5 is 128 user locations compared to 500 on Prologue.
Unless they make factory 128 also overwritable it is not interesting. It would mean fire up a computer with librarian every couple of hours while exploring.

Pro Take 5 is compare feature before overwriting each location which simplifies intermediate saves a lot. On Prologue I usually take notes of a couple of locations that I can overwrite before fiddling. But favorite marker are on those keepers, so works pretty well.

User oscillators in Prologue is a great feature. I bought 5 and added 11 free ones. It might sound like just another oscillator, but those are extensive in mixing wavesforms and many oscillators in one, with own lfo's and envelopes , detuning and stuff. Wavetables and whatnot. People saying indifferent things about Prologue sound probably did not look much at what it offers.

Take 5 though has serious modulations options in it's favour. Prologue share pitch envelope with filter and very useful doing both positive and negative amount. But rather limited. But like Prologue can do lfo start on negative half period, and if doing on pitch also give that little glide from below note pitch.

Prologue has such quality to tone that once fired up I usually don't leave it until a couple of hours later.

From demos and what I read most people rate Take 5 in between REV2 and P6.

I think Take 5 is a smart move now Sequential is in Focusrite domain too.

Give me a setting to remove protection on factory presets and I would be an owner too. UDO Super6 got dismissed for same reason with just 128 locations.

pinki wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:11 pm I have always preferred sine waves over all others! Something so ethereal and simple about them and it baffles me why most soft synths neglect them also.
Perhaps the synth type you like most is more akin to FM than VCO-VCF-VCA architecture.
FM caters for plenty pure sine waves, you don't need them to modulate each other ;-)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

lfm wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:09 am
Fleer wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:46 am Not touching that Prologue anymore, this is where it’s at from now on.
If I get Take 5 it would never replace Prologue.

Some pros and cons

Dealbreaker now with Take 5 is 128 user locations compared to 500 on Prologue.
Unless they make factory 128 also overwritable it is not interesting. It would mean fire up a computer with librarian every couple of hours while exploring.

Pro Take 5 is compare feature before overwriting each location which simplifies intermediate saves a lot. On Prologue I usually take notes of a couple of locations that I can overwrite before fiddling. But favorite marker are on those keepers, so works pretty well.

User oscillators in Prologue is a great feature. I bought 5 and added 11 free ones. It might sound like just another oscillator, but those are extensive in mixing wavesforms and many oscillators in one, with own lfo's and envelopes , detuning and stuff. Wavetables and whatnot. People saying indifferent things about Prologue sound probably did not look much at what it offers.

Take 5 though has serious modulations options in it's favour. Prologue share pitch envelope with filter and very useful doing both positive and negative amount. But rather limited. But like Prologue can do lfo start on negative half period, and if doing on pitch also give that little glide from below note pitch.

Prologue has such quality to tone that once fired up I usually don't leave it until a couple of hours later.

From demos and what I read most people rate Take 5 in between REV2 and P6.

I think Take 5 is a smart move now Sequential is in Focusrite domain too.

Give me a setting to remove protection on factory presets and I would be an owner too. UDO Super6 got dismissed for same reason with just 128 locations.
You’ll have to compare them IRL.
I’m smitten. Take5 all the way.

BertKoor wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:41 am
pinki wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:11 pm I have always preferred sine waves over all others! Something so ethereal and simple about them and it baffles me why most soft synths neglect them also.
Perhaps the synth type you like most is more akin to FM than VCO-VCF-VCA architecture.
FM caters for plenty pure sine waves, you don't need them to modulate each other ;-)
Yes …true.Good point👍

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”