Non graphical ADSR envelope

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, happy to see Sonicbirth project on Kvr.

I read the whole documentation, but i can't understand how to implement a simple non graphical
ADSR envelope circuit block (to use it, for ex., as filter modulator or directly to the signal level)

Could you explain how to build it?

Thanks
all the best

See this thread: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=198993

I just posted a link to an ASDR envelope along with notes there. It's not exactly non-graphical but I could make it that way if you wanted.

First of all, thanks for your work. Now is all very clear with the point envelopes.

If is not too "time stealer" for you, could you post the non-graph way?

thanks
g

A non graphical way could use the same timer approach and could use a piecewise circuit or just several comparators - basically some way to say: "if the time is less than 0.5 seconds then do this . . . if the time is between 0.5 seconds and 1.5 seconds, do this . . . and if the time is greater than 1.5 but less than 2 seconds do this." Then you could define what "This" is in each case using maybe en equation or just some function modules. For example, when the time is between 0 and 0.5 seconds, output time*1000 + 20 and send that to the cutoff of the filter. So for the first half second the cutoff frequency will ramp up linearly from 20 to 520. You could leave knows or sliders to control all of the numbers and set the critical time points this way.

thanks, very interesting...

A last thing,

I did some test circuits and found that is all clear but I still have some dubts with release time..

when I release my key, the sound stops. Probably because signal is gated by the Note parameter from the MIDI module... that's what I suppose

Well, how do I implement a "standard" release behavior on my signal? I should apply the "IF ... then" method you explained on Release control on the MIDI Moudule (the external control on the module)? Are there other ways?

all the best
g

yes, it's pretty easy to do this but the release parameter won't be integrated into your points window if you are doing things graphically.

That midi note multi module has those two inputs for attack and release. In my example, I had the attack set to almost 0 since I could control that later with my graphical points ADSR envelope anyway.(which is really just an ADS envelope, I guess).

But the release input on midi note multi can be changed too. I think I included a knob for it. I don't know if I left the maximum allowed value high enough for you to notice a significant release time but you can change that in the settings for that module. You'll notice if you make this time really low that you get a nice click when you release the key. I personally love playing solo synth patches that have that for R&B and modal jazz etc.

But this is the control you want. I couldn't find another way to increase the time the note played for after I released the key other than this because anything I do within midi multi note only affects things while the key is pressed.

Clear. Thanks again

Return to “SonicBirth”