SOLVED! - Trance Gate... HELP PLEASE

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Hey there!

First of all, I'm new to SonicBirth. So I decided to start a project that may be a little too advanced for a noob.
So here is the Problem. I started a Trance Gate plugin with 16 Steps. The note values should be adjustable like 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 and so on...

I used a piecewise circuit to trigger the volume levels of each step. In other words it's - of course - tempo synced.
But exactly this is my problem. The sync seems to be somehow messed up.

I used the beat and tempo inputs of the root circuit to calculate the current step number and inside the piecewise circuit the volume levels are set.

This is the link to my project file:

http://www.mediavisonary.de/files/gate_test.sbc

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

By the way: I also want to add some more features to the gate. Like cutoff and resonance sliders for each step and an adsr-curve that adjusts the envelope of each step. Also I would like to be able to set the pan for each step. Any ideas?

Thank you such much...

:) :) :) :) :)
Last edited by metal_head_82 on Sat May 03, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are angels poultry???

Hey, about to take a look at the patch, but as someone who also had trouble at first with tempo / beat sync, it's probably just running too fast. Given that your step sequences are all multiples of 4, I'm assuming you want this gate to work primarily for 4/4 beats? If so, the solution is simple - divide the tempo-sync input by some multiple of four. You'll have to do some trial and error to figure out which divisor works best for you, but unless I totally misread your problem (possible...it is early for me), this should do the trick.

okay, for some reason I'm unable to download the file. I think there's a problem with the link you posted. Can you FTP the patch somewhere else?

Okay... here is the new link to the project file:

http://www.mediavisionary.de/files/

This link opens a HTML-page with a download link...
Are angels poultry???

I definitely had some issues when running test sounds through it in SonicBirth, but I think that's because the beat input there is very imprecise. When you run a test sound through a patch in SonicBirth, the program tries to find the beat by looking for impulses; for this purpose, it's usually best to test a patch with something choppy and basic.

I tried running the gate in Live, however, and didn't have any of the same lag problems. Your set up with the modulus function to determine the step interval seems a bit unnecessary. The "beat" input automatically steps up an integer with each beat. I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that in a good DAW like live, the beat input will provide the step data. Therefore, all you should need to do is just multiply the beat input by the interval, and things should potentially work out....

Of course, I might be misreading what you're looking for here, but that's a fix that worked okay for me.

OK... I got it...

It is far more simple than I thought.
You're right. With just using the beat parameter I am able to calculate the current step.

My solution:

Modulator

in x: Beat
in y: Needed number of quarters to complete the cycle

Multiplicator

in a: Output of the Modulator
in b: Output of the Division

Division

in a: Number of steps to do
in b: Needed Number of quarters to complete the cycle

Now you get an index number starting at 0 and ending at 16

This output is connected to a piecewise circuit that does the volume change in the specified step.
Very easy...

Thank you very much!!!
Are angels poultry???

Return to “SonicBirth”