Shelving Filters

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
ocram00
KVRer
3 posts since 2 May, 2011

Post Tue May 03, 2011 12:33 am

Hello all

Does anybody now how to create low-shelf filters in SonicBirth? Since there is no element for this, and I'm knew to SonicBirth, I'm wondering how can this be implemented.

Thanks

goldenhelix
KVRist
223 posts since 19 Apr, 2011

Post Wed May 04, 2011 2:10 pm

i haven't done this before specifically, but i would use the crossover element to split the signal into the component above the shelf and below the shelf and then you can use that to raise or lower the level of each of those as you like.

ocram00
KVRer
3 posts since 2 May, 2011

Post Wed May 04, 2011 2:16 pm

goldenhelix wrote:i haven't done this before specifically, but i would use the crossover element to split the signal into the component above the shelf and below the shelf and then you can use that to raise or lower the level of each of those as you like.


Thanks for that :) It seems like a nice and cleaver solution.

Kewl
KVRist
211 posts since 11 Apr, 2007 from Montreal, Canada

Post Thu May 05, 2011 6:48 am

Keep in mind though that since the SB crossover element is a "Linkwitz-Riley 24db/octave crossover", the outputs will have a phase difference of 360°.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkwitz-Riley_filter
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/filters.htm#3

ocram00
KVRer
3 posts since 2 May, 2011

Post Thu May 05, 2011 11:55 am

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Kewl wrote:Keep in mind though that since the SB crossover element is a "Linkwitz-Riley 24db/octave crossover", the outputs will have a phase difference of 360°.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkwitz-Riley_filter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkwitz-Riley_filter)
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/filters.htm#3 (http://www.linkwitzlab.com/filters.htm#3)


Yes I will do, thanks for that. Also thanks for the cool LINKWITZLAB link, very very useful info.

Cheers

zmix
KVRist
184 posts since 17 Aug, 2005

Post Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:19 am

Kewl wrote:Keep in mind though that since the SB crossover element is a "Linkwitz-Riley 24db/octave crossover", the outputs will have a phase difference of 360°.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkwitz-Riley_filter
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/filters.htm#3


This is correct, and the crossover will not make a very good sounding shelving EQ for this reason.

A typical shelving EQ has a 6dB / oct slope.

I've tried a number of methods, but without recursive equations or a specific building block, I've found it impossible.

RogerJoensson
KVRer
15 posts since 4 Apr, 2010

Post Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:29 am

Have you tried using this (see bottom of thread) to build the shelving filter?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=229979

zmix
KVRist
184 posts since 17 Aug, 2005

Post Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:51 am

RogerJoensson wrote:Have you tried using this (see bottom of thread) to build the shelving filter?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=229979

I was very active in that thread, but I never did try that out... thanks for the reminder!

Return to “SonicBirth”