ordinate + muchacho help

Official support for: xoxos
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
I received a recommendation to check out xoxos when I asked a question about how to create automatically evolving rhythms (so I can be free to play my instrument, etc. while the beat evolves).
As far as I can see, the ordinate + muchacho VSTs are just for this kind of thing. I'm giving them a try. I loaded up some random drum loops into ordinate and got some unpredictable patterns, but I'm not sure what I'm doing and what all these parameters are and what the role of muchacho is.
The .txt files that came along didn't help me much, though I'm going to decipher them once more. I was wondering if any of you have experience doing this and could give me some pointers.
Best.

i'd recommend using the midi based algorithmic vst, they were made a few years after the ones you mentioned and are more flexible.. eg. circuit, hyperion, skunk.

afa ordinate and muchacho, each row consists of 16 sliders. therefore a row represents the number of steps in your pattern (you can set a smaller number of steps).

the 1st 2nd and 3rd rows are probabilities for 4 notes, 8th notes, and 16th notes. if you set the top row to full and the next two rows to halfway, you'll get 50% 4 notes, 25% 8ths and 25% 16ths.

hth
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Cool, thanks for the reply. I'm trying Hyperion, Circuit, and Skunk. I was able to generate some MIDI notes with them, and feed that into a drum VST, and get some interesting patterns, though I'm not sure if they are really self-evolving.

I think this is the first time I've ever used anything to generate MIDI aside from my MIDI keyboard. A new chapter for me...

Now, I'll work on creating something more listenable with these and see if they eventually address my needs. Thanks for creating them anyway.

skunk is pretty limited but hyperion and circuit (and series/miniseries) have potential to be non-repeating for lengthy periods of time. may want to try populus as well.. every now and then that will produce something real nice imo.. but h + c are more reliable for quick results once you get used to how to patch them.

there's also some midi plug (forget name) designed to modulate the params on h + c periodically..
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Cool, looked at populus, miniseries, and series and could get them to produce some interesting results. I have to say the interface is intimidating but that's just me, I just don't know what all these parameters are for. Luckily, your stuff comes with users manual.

You don't mean to suggest that I use hyperion and circuit simultaneously though, right? And your stuff is donationware? I noticed that all of them just work, but some of them are indicated specifically as "freeware" and others are not, on your website. And there is a donation button. Would be good to know because I'm weighing a lot of options and the price is also important.

i use common methodologies as well so once you assess one, the others ought to be easier.

i used to charge a buttload for hyperion and circuit and made them freeware at a time when life divorced me from internet access. do consider them freeware.

personally, i despise money and the social control it exerts, and would push out its eyes with my thumbs if i ever found it anywhere. actually, i'd push out its eyes with anything handy. then i would stomp on its head until it wasn't recogniseable as a head anymore. then i would set it on fire, push it over a cliff, and have a wee off the cliff for good measure. after a short rest i'd go down there myself and kick the living f**k out of it until i got tired of doing so, but would persevere out of a sense of common responsibility. off course, i do use it to acquire most of my foodstuffs at the current time.

when making payments i would certainly weigh ones ability to do so. if you can easily purchase a maserati then it may be easy for you to afford plugins. someone who has difficulty purchasing food should not even consider paying for vst. if price is important to you, then you probably can't afford to donate.

if you are inclined to make a donation, then certainly make it in the form of a purchase.

Thank you very much. I share your sentiments about money. I generally go for free stuff (like linux, unfortunately, I've found it very difficult to make music on it, at least with my current audio interface; and all the most awesome freeware VSTs are in Windows). I do not want to "steal" from anyone by using cracked software, and I do want to thank and show my gratitude to someone whose software I use for creating music. So, if I ever get to the stage of where I can use your (currently promising) VSTs to create something that satisfies me (even though I probably won't sell the creation to anyone), I would like to donate something that is within my budget.

Or if you travel internationally, come to Istanbul and I will show you around and get you some of the best food you'll ever eat.

Return to “xoxos”