Signal Analyzer

Official support for: rs-met.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Robin from www.rs-met.com wrote:
tranceglobal wrote: one of Cakewalk's programmers comments on some of the uses of their BitMeter plugin...
O.K. but somehow i still don't get what it actually shows - the bit pattern of ....what? of one particular (pseudo-randomly chosen) sample inside some time window? or maybe the bit pattern of the maximum sample inside a window? the latter would probably make more sense but still i can't really see why this should be more useful than a simple peak level-meter (except being flickering erraticaly, if that's what one likes :wheee: ). information content wise, showing such bit patterns would amount to a level-meter with a resolution of 6 dB. or am i missing something here?

edit: but what could be interesting instead would be a kind of running histogram of the amplitudes. i think, i have seen something like that in izotope ozone

...hah, yes:

http://www.izotope.com/support/help/ozone/index.html

certainly a good source for inspiration as well. they also describe the bit-meter operation there, but i'm still a bit sceptical. need to think about it.
After some thought, and more rigorous experimentation with the Cakewalk bitmeter under various dithering settings, I have to concede the point that this really may not be that useful on a day to day basis- I cannot say I will now start using the Cakewalk bitmeter to improve my mix in any way. I am now inclined to strike this from my previous list, and just ask directly for: Flashing Light Meter!!!! :hihi:

D.

tranceglobal wrote:After some thought, and more rigorous experimentation with the Cakewalk bitmeter under various dithering settings, I have to concede the point that this really may not be that useful on a day to day basis
I agree - I do use the one in Wavelab to double check on bit activity in the lower areas when I'm working with 32-bit float and 24-bit files, and then again after I've dithered to 16-bits before I save the 16-bit version of the file, just to make sure.

However, a simpler display that would do that would be a simple '24-bit LED' that lights up if bits 17 to 24 are changing.

Martin

Return to “rs-met”