PRODUCTS

Edit: weird, bc extensions file says atanh() is:

Code: Select all

(ln(1+x)-ln(1-x))/2
seems to work without clicks now

if you put this code into funcshaper:

1/2*ln((1+x)/(1-x))
it basically seems to be the anti-tanh()? Like if tanh() can be compared to a compressor (an instantaneous compressor?) atanh() would be its expander counterpart. Only thing is, it's very unforgiving if you overdrive it too much. I'm assuming that it's approaching +/-infinity dB/straight vertical line if tanh() is approaching a horizontal line/DC/square wave/clipping/etc. Either way, it manifests itself as a bunch of annoying clicks seemingly synced to the transients in the sound file. But it's a good guide anyway to tell if you're overdriving too much/maybe a 64-bit version would let you drive it more? Oversampling seems to sound better even up to 16x, but if it clicks even once you'll get silence/will have to restart the plugin. But oversampling seems to sound so much better than you can drive it less anyway

somehow I figured out this code:

(1/a)*(1/2)*abs((ln(1+select(abs(x*a)-1,abs(x*a),1-(0.1^b),ln(cos(abs(a*x))))-(1/2)*ln(1-select(abs(x*a)-1,abs(x*a),1-(0.1^b),ln(cos(abs(a*x))))))))*sign(x)
for some reason the graph won't show until a =0.5 or something, but if you try that you'll see that it reaches infinity and then makes this smooth turn at infinity somehow and you may still get clicks but I think they're more floating-point errors than the function hitting 1 and above and not knowing what to do. variable b is a limit for how close to 1 it can get like 0.9999999999999999999999999 etc. variable a is the overdrive and then normalizes it hopefully at the end. use this instead of the drive slider, or even turn drive itself down a few decibels to get the best sound. I guess it's just more floating point/conversion wonkiness so don't try to figure out why it works but it does

you might be able to oversample it, it seems to crash it sometimes but not other times? Also you might be able to use multiple instances for better results

Return to “rs-met”