Geist 2 pattern export.. Bug or User error?

Archive support for: fxpansion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I've just bought Geist2, hoping it could do what I wanted Arturia Spark to be able to do, namely sequence a pattern with the internal sequencer then export the pattern to my DAW midi track and have all the programmed pad automation (eg. pitch, reverse etc) to play back as cc events. All looks good when I drag the pattern over.. The Geist midi map has automatically assigned cc channels to all the modulated parameters and midi cc data looks like it has been exported with the notes, but it just doesn't play back correctly. Firstly it looks like it's only receiving any midi data at all for a couple of parameters, and the timing is well off for those (ie pitch modulation will affect the wrong notes). At first I thought it may be a problem using Reason 11, but I have the exactly the same problem in Ableton and Bitwig. Surely I must be doing something wrong and a major feature like this can't be broken? I haven't come across this discussed online, so can any users on here confirm this function is working for them and maybe suggest where I'm going wrong?

For clarification: Using Geist 2 V2.1.2.13, Windows 10, Ryzen 3600, 16GB DDR4. Issue occurs in Reason 11.3.9, Ableton 10.1.30 & Bitwig 3.33

Did you turn off engine/pattern power? Otherwise geist will receive notes from both the host midi track and its own sequencer, which could give weird results

Yes I turned those off when playing midi from DAW. It all plays fine in internal pattern mode. I realise now the problem is with dragging the pattern to the DAW. It's automatically assigning midi cc channels to the parameters but not actually transferring any data for most parameters. (Creates the data lanes in DAW but contain no info)

There are a couple things to watch out for. MIDI messages are asynchronous—that is, order is not guaranteed. So if the MIDI note triggers before the CC that tells Geist how to play it, the note may seem to ignore the modulation. You may need to nudge the CC values ahead of the note.

You specifically mention Reverse. Reverse playback starts from the pad layer's End Marker. Make sure the MIDI note is long enough such that the playhead will reach audible data. You can look at the relevant pad layer's waveform to see what is happening; it shows the playback head. You may need to adjust the End Marker and/or the note placement so it sounds the way you want.

You can go to Help > Show MIDI Console to see what Geist is receiving from your host and verify it is receiving.

Return to “FXpansion”