Geist 3 when?

Archive support for: fxpansion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What are other ppl using for Geist-like beat making (that might be more up to date). For the sound component, I am loving XLN XO, but it is a different beast than Geist obviously (if you could mix the "AI" discovery of XLN with a beefed up/streamlined/bug-free version of Geist I would love to find such a beast)

I make beats in-DAW so I use XO for searching/some shaping/sometimes sequencing then drag the kit into Geist and MIDI into the DAW. Geist is really good for sequencing, especially aleatoric, but I tend to bring it in-DAW as MIDI for further manipulation. I'm using Windows and Geist is 64-bit so I imagine I can use it for a long time from now.

They found a stable home for BFD, I have no idea who would be a good steward for Geist unless one of the original devs leaves ROLI and somehow buys it back from them.

There really is nothing else like Geist. Perhaps particular aspects of it. For drum rack, Battery would do it for me, and there's Nerve and several others. For sequencing, if XLN really fleshed out XO's sequencer into its own product. I can sort of force Thesys to do drum hit sequencing but it's awkward as it's intended for melodic sequencing, however it's very powerful. For pattern and song building, the only real alternative is MPC Beats but it's a completely different workflow, though it encapsulates much of the fundamental features. It's free so perhaps give it a try.

IMO FXpansion is more or less abandoned. Bought by ROLI, stripped off coding talent in favour of Equator and due to be sold. Look Exponential Audio...

martinjuenke wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:02 pm IMO FXpansion is more or less abandoned. Bought by ROLI, stripped off coding talent in favour of Equator and due to be sold. Look Exponential Audio...
Yet their products are still mostly sold at a premium.

perpetual3 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:33 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:02 pm IMO FXpansion is more or less abandoned. Bought by ROLI, stripped off coding talent in favour of Equator and due to be sold. Look Exponential Audio...
Not in the second hand market...

perpetual3 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:33 pm
Offered? Yes.
Sold? Don't know...

i would much more prefer tremor 2 instead of.

never had big probs with geist2.

fxpansions license transfer fee is ridiculous. especially on abandoned software like tremor. i would even buy tremor from their shop...50bucks fee...geez. they know how to ..

anttimaatteri wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:29 pm i would much more prefer tremor 2 instead of.
me too. i emailed Roli about the discontinued FXpansion plug ins and they said "sorry" but not gonna happen. it's unfortunate. tremor is fun and sounds good.

if they were smart they'd roll those synthesis engines into Geist and allow them to be used in place of samples.. or something like that.

tremor2 would be fine though.

Return to “FXpansion”