Procession Support Thread

Official support for: hgsounds.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Great!

I could add random velocities easily if I can fit it on the GUI somewhere, the best you can do at the moment is to make polyrhythms so that it will use different values using a long sequence, the sequencers only reset to the start when all notes are off and a new one is played so if the controlling notes overlap a little the sequencer pitches will change but the sequences won't reset to the start.

I'll try and add random velocity before the weekend though, it's a great idea.

Incidentally other than when you want Full Velocity, it's mostly useful if you are using a Sequencer for both notes and CC messages, that way you get to use the range for CC and basically an on/off for notes at the same time without affecting velocity.

I could add random velocities easily if I can fit it on the GUI somewhere
:tu: that would be great, but enough too explore with the rest of this at the moment, this one really goes deep, I have not even tried to combine it with some of the other stuff from this groupbuy cause I am afraid this might drive me crazy :lol:

I posted this in the GB Thread but thought I'd repeat it here as a permanent record:

There are 2 inputs to the Scale Remapper function, the first is the root note and the second is the final pitch for the notes after running through the sequencer. The root note is always assigned by the note that you triggered the sequence with, so if you played E to start the sequence then E is the Root note. So the Scale then uses the intervals from the selected Scale to see if the 2nd parameter is valid, ie is one of the enabled intervals. If it is nothing happens and the pitch is allowed. If not then the Remapper will select either the next higher or lower valid note or down depending on the Up/Down setting.

So there is a big difference between the Root and Scale Modes when it comes to the triggers, in 'Both' mode it acts like a standard transpose so every note is transposed equally just like triggering sequencers, except the sequences aren't restarted. So 'Root' mode only shifts the pitch of the Root note in the comparison above and therefore shifts the scale in the comparison function, yet the 2nd actual pitch input remains the same. It's unpredictable and sometimes has no effect on certain keys, but can also produce interesting output.

The 'Scale' Mode just transposes the 2nd input to the Remapper which really equates to moving through Chord/Scale Inversions, the same way as the Mod Wheel does. The Root note always remains the same so that the Scale is locked and so increasing the pitch can only result in shifting through the valid notes of the Scale.

The new Modes, Chord and User use 12 alternative Scales each assigned to one of the 12 Yellow Trigger keys, Chord is a locked version which has common shapes:

C - Major
C# - Minor
D - Major 7th
D# - Minor 7th
E - Diminished
F - Augmented
F# - Augmented 7th
G - Sus 2
G# - Sus 4
A - 6th
A# - Minor 6th
B - Root + 7th

The user modes 1-4 allow editing 4 of your own profiles in Procession so that you can design which Chord/Scale shape will be applied to the Yellow Trigger. User 1 is a copy of the internal Chord profile by default so take a look at that to see what is going on whilst playing the Yellow triggers. In these modes no changes are made to Root or the pitch Parameter, it is only the Valid notes that change.

Hopefully that clears it up, it's far less complicated than it sounds :)

Hi Andy,

only one thing I need to know if I have understand it right:

- I choose "user1"
- I select "E" > "select preset" minor
- now if I dont touch any of the yellow keys with incoming midi notes (only the blue ones) all the generated sequences will stay in Eminor ?

If I got that right I am really happy with it, it just sound fantastic, random velocity regulator works great.

Only thing I would like if possible with not too much effort that maybe the selectet preset in the scale editor might get highlighted in a colour (no matter what colour, just that you can see which one you have chosen).

Yes that's right and using the yellow keys if in Chord mode apply Minor can happen anytime using yellow D# whilst it's pressed.

Well it's tricky for the presets because they have no memory as it's the buttons that actually define the Scale, the Presets are there to set the buttons as a one off. I did make it so that the Scale will stay selected until you change one of the buttons so you can see whilst working, but that isn't remembered when reloaded because it wouldn't make any sense because it can be changed at any time by using the Scale Buttons :)

Thats good to know, I am just fiddling around with rendering to separate tracks so that I got a permanent result on separate tracks on one hand and can then let procession get "wild" with all sequencers on another track.

I have Autumn choirs behind Procession actual on one track which had lots of movement in it (the snapshots called "parsifal" :-)), its just gigantic, Wagner on lots of coloured pills :clown:

hehe sounds like fun! That is the beauty of Midi sequencers, a sequence changes radically depending where you point it, but on the other hand it makes it really hard to make presets as they will sound different to everyone depending on what they are using.

Helpful video! But do you show anywhere how to record the MIDI out from one of your Kontakt MIDI FX? I've got that working on several DAWS I own, but I'm new to Bitwig, and a bit lost… Specifically, I'm using MIDILooper right now… TIA!

David wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:11 am Helpful video! But do you show anywhere how to record the MIDI out from one of your Kontakt MIDI FX? I've got that working on several DAWS I own, but I'm new to Bitwig, and a bit lost… Specifically, I'm using MIDILooper right now… TIA!
Well in Midi Looper you can just use Drag to Midi to drag recordings to Bitwig Tracks :) As for other Instruments just create an Instrument track, on the Midi Input Popup Menu find the track which has Kontakt on it and under Devices choose Kontakt. Now that track will record the Midi Output.

You can also use a Note receiver module to route the Midi anywhere doing the same for the input field, but this will not be recordable.

Thanks, I'll try that:)

EDIT: WORKED (had to also set output) :):

Thanks again!

Hi!
Just bought Kontakt Sequencer Collection and it seems there's an issue in the Procession. The CC numbers have increased (+1) values in the CC ID list. I mean for example number of Expression event should be 11, not 12. I know it's just inner Id's but it's really confuses me.
Also, the Procession sends CC events even when the "CC Sequencing" button is off.

That sounds strange, I’ll look into CC naming tomorrow. The 2nd issue is intentional, a CC will always be sent it a CC number is selected otherwise changing patterns would be a mess. It means you can select a different CC per pattern and/or use host automation for knob movement. CC Sequencing means that the sequencer will be used to sequence the CC and has nothing to do with whether the CC is used :)

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”