Helix cutting high frequencies

Official support for: audjoo.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone!

I have a little problem regarding the Helix synth.

Basically I love the plugin. The unstable button just helps to create perfect supersynths with a less metallic sound than Sylenth1 or Serum ever could manage to create. I also like how in-depth the UI is.

The only problem that I have is that the plug-in seems to automatically cut off frequencies above 18khz which results in it sounding inferior qualitywise than other plugins. Now, I searched everywhere if there was a function in Helix that could resolve this problem but I failed to find one.

If any of you people are experienced with Helix, I'd really appreciate the help.

Greetz,
Alex

Mh... as far as i know, some synths cut the upper frequencies, because, in the analog domain, there are infinite harmonics with, say, sawtooth sounds, and, computing that digitally is impossible, because it would hopelessly overtax the CPU, hence some plugins do some "smart" cut of the higher frequencies. That's probably what is happening here. I never checked Helix with a frequency spectrum analyzer though, so i can't tell for sure really.

Interesting, I've been interested in grabbing Helix at some point (as an unabashed plugin collector) I had read a post somewhere that Helix actually aliases sometimes, but if it cuts high frequencies I don't see how it could... will be watching this thread
[edit] after looking at other posts I can't seem to find the post that said they thought Helix has aliasing (I seem to recall they assumed it because it was old or something); all I see are posts saying that Helix claims bandlimiting to prevent aliasing.

If you compare the spectrum of a basic helix saw to a basic sylenth1 saw you'll see that sylenth1 manages to cover frequencies above 17,5khz,. I don't think it's an impossible thing to have that range covered aswell, since other basic synths (even 3xosc) manage to do that on the most basic presets. Altogether it just feels like it's reducing output quality on purpose.

EDIT:

I just noticed that the problems occur the strongest in the WAVE mode, analogue (pwm), and String have a higher cut (around 19 khz).

Return to “Audjoo”