Rewire Client

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any thoughts on making Cantabile a Rewire client? I was just wondering, because I am working with Cantabile to setup all my VST host and MIDI triggers for live performance, but very often I'm in the studio with my group and we are playing around recording. It would be great to rewire Cantabile into Live so I can record the output of Cantabile along with my drummer, bass and guitar in Live.

It's on my list of things but I've not had time to investigate much so I'm not sure if/when it will be implemented - though I have had quite a few requests for this.

Would Rewire be a better course than to make Cantabile work as a VSTi at some point? The latter might be more widely compatible.

It is absolutely a bonehead question on my part, because I know nothing about the difficulties of doing either.

But it certainly would be useful to be able to get a Cantabile session quickly into a sequencer by some means.
Last edited by lallis on Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry

---

I don't know much about Rewire either but I think it's about routing audio streams between different audio applications. I guess it's different to cantabile as VSTi when you start passing audio over a network to a second PC... but that's just an rough idea about that...
Best regards, TiUser
...and keep on jamming...

I'm just thinking of routing the output from the VST's withing Cantabile to different recording tracks within Ableton Live. I will also combine this with the live recording (guitar, bass, drums). I can then do all my multi track mixing/editing in Live. Benefit of this scenario is that Cantabile will contain all the live setups for the songs, so when performing, I can just use Cantabile directly.

curucaman wrote:I'm just thinking of routing the output from the VST's withing Cantabile to different recording tracks within Ableton Live. I will also combine this with the live recording (guitar, bass, drums). I can then do all my multi track mixing/editing in Live. Benefit of this scenario is that Cantabile will contain all the live setups for the songs, so when performing, I can just use Cantabile directly.
Hi, Curucaman.

Same here, in essence, except I would do it within Sonar. That's a Rewire host too, although I have never used it that way. VSTi's are now so common and reliable, I've never needed to use anything else. But maybe a Cantabile VSTi (which is also a VST host) isn't feasible.

If Cantabile can be inserted by any means, then our nice-sounding Cantabile sessions could be used easily within the other program, without having to recreate them each time. Sounds as if that's what we all want.

With luck, maybe Brad Robinson will explain the difficulties and differences and give us a hint of what he's considered along those lines.
Larry

---

lallis wrote:With luck, maybe Brad Robinson will explain the difficulties and differences and give us a hint of what he's considered along those lines.
Mostly the differences are technical but I think in the end a VST version is a better choice - mainly because it allows saving Cantabile's state back to the host programs project file. Rewire typically requires loading and configuring the two apps separately.

That said, both are a considerable amount of work and I'm not committing to either just yet.

bradr wrote:...both are a considerable amount of work and I'm not committing to either just yet.
Understood and appreciated. But you give a general idea of the direction things might take in time, and it's good to know.

Thanks.
Larry

---

Brad - whichever way you go, I hope it can incorporate this. I am hoping that I will be able to route different racks to different recording tracks. If Cantabile is a VST within a host application like Ableton for example, I would love to be able to load a single Session within Cantabile and route the output of each rack to a different track. If you go the Rewire route - same functionality - each rack wired to a track within my application of choice. I guess a third choice would be to have Cantabile do all the recording - multiple tracks all simultaneously recording :)? Don't want to push it, you've been great with taking everyones suggestions...

Maybe we could create something like a wishlist for Cantabile 3... :D
Best regards, TiUser
...and keep on jamming...

I found this discussion looking for something like Cantabile which I can use in my DAW for live recording. After a very long search I found "New Sonic Arts Freestyle" which is a very young Product but seems very promising! It has a standalone Version and a VST-Plugin Version!!! :) :)
I Tested it in Cubase and it works!! There is a fully functional Demo Version: http://www.newsonicarts.com/html/freestyle.php

Maybe Cantabile, Forte & Co. will never support Rewire or VST-Version :( so all my hope is set to Freestyle!

Return to “Topten Software”