Unwieldy MIDI routing table

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As someone who runs an entire gig from one session, with many sub-sessions for each song, I find that my MIDI routing table has grown really long, with at least half a dozen table entries per song.

What I'd love to see would be an enhancement of the MIDI routing table, whereby instead of just being a list of individual routing rules, it would have a structure more like the racks table, so it would contain a set of collapsable groups of routing rules. Each entry would be a group of routing rules with a single enable/disable flag (the same way you can bypass a rack of multiple plugins), and each group could contain multiple rules, the same way as racks can contain multiple plugins. The "pass through" function would then be analogous to "MIDI pass through" in the rack.

You could then have a single entry in the table containing all the routing rules for a song, which could be nicely collapsed down to keep the routing table tidy, and these groups of rules could be easily re-ordered as a block. It would also allow you to name these groups of rules, with each individual rule having its own name also. For example the group could have the name "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", and the rules within it might have names like "Master keyboard to VB3 organ" or "Lower split to bass pedal" and so on.

I'm sure the multiple rules per sub-session use case isn't the only one that would benefit either. I'm sure there must be many scenarios where you'd want a set of related routing rules to be enabled/disabled together based on some common criterion.

Neil
Kurzweil PC3x, Muse Receptor, Nord G2 Modular, Mellotron M400, Nord Electro, Korg Triton, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Roland D50, Korg Prophecy, Korg MS10, Logan String Synth

I'd like to second Neil's request.

Some other things that might make large routing tables easier to use:

* Option to temporarily hide disabled routings i.e. only those active in the current sub-session would be displayed. This might be useful in the Racks table too if that gets at all large.
* Fix the scroll to the top of the table whenever an entry is added or deleted. (Annoying when you have a large table.)
* Add a column to indicate if a routing entry has any associated filters. Could be the simple presence or absence of a tick, or maybe a different icon per filter type. Of course, multiple filters per routing entry are possible.... perhaps just a tick, with a tooltip listing the filters if you hover over it.

Thanks!
Danny

Another small thing that would be useful would be a "collapse all" option in the racks panel..... would make tidying up after you've edited a few plugins much easier. Maybe a keyboard shortcut..... or clicking on a rack's expand/collapse button with shift or control held down or something.

Return to “Topten Software”