Turbo reverb - creative sound design

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
vectorwarrior
KVRian
781 posts since 23 Sep, 2006 from Vancouver, Canada

Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:26 pm

Has anyone had any luck making an weird and wonderful effects in Turbo reverb? The algorithm language is obviously very flexible but I haven't had time to really explore it myself.

There's a handful of creative active presets but I get the impression they're just scratching the surface so thought I'd ask around.

Thanks!
2 i7 machines (work & home) on Windows 10 ___ 32Gb and 16Gb Ram ___ Reaper & Audition ___ RME Babyface Pro & TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48 interfaces

crystalmsc
KVRist
418 posts since 19 Aug, 2012

Re: Turbo reverb - creative sound design

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:28 am

You may want to take a look at these two threads and maybe post the question there:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=475177
viewtopic.php?f=138&t=481006

I'm very interested to see the development of this reverb as well, it just has so much potential. A year ago, it was one of the hottest topic in the forums. Hopefully people will continue with the preset project.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

MeldaProduction
KVRAF
10401 posts since 15 Mar, 2008 from Czech republic

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:02 pm

We'll definitely put some attention to it after the major update. Anyways I sort of regret I didn't rather release 100 reverbs :D, seems that that would be way more profitable, though boring, clumsy to use etc. :D
Vojtech - MeldaProduction

crystalmsc
KVRist
418 posts since 19 Aug, 2012

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:02 pm

MeldaProduction wrote:major update
That would be awesome, I'm eager to hear about it instead of another 100 reverbs :D
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Apratim
KVRian
555 posts since 29 Dec, 2016 from India

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:00 pm

MeldaProduction wrote:We'll definitely put some attention to it after the major update. Anyways I sort of regret I didn't rather release 100 reverbs :D, seems that that would be way more profitable, though boring, clumsy to use etc. :D
thank god, you didnt thought about that while making turboreverb :D
a10 9600p,12gb ddr4,1TB SSD,Win 10 x64
Behringer UMC 202 HD,Behringer C-1.
REAPER,DS thorn, IL sytrus,Mpowersynth,Tal sampler,AAS string studio,MTotalfx bundle

Sam-U
KVRist
44 posts since 8 Jan, 2018

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:24 pm

MeldaProduction wrote:Anyways I sort of regret I didn't rather release 100 reverbs :D, seems that that would be way more profitable, though boring, clumsy to use etc. :D
But that didn't stop you from releasing 8 EQs or 11 Dynamic processors (5 of them Compressors) either :roll: Strange logic :lol:

I find the cpu usage of MTurboReverb quite high compared to e.g. Valhalla or Lexicon. I didn't create anything myself in MTR since I'm neither a technician nor mathematician (or probably because the common interface is just offputting me) but I stepped through the presets. Specifically when loading a new preset while playing back I got high cpu spikes. Is this some price I have to pay for its generic algorithm processing?

Although I wouldn't use it in daily mixing I liked it as a special effect :tu: Now I have to decide if I should buy MTR or Zynaptiqs Adaptiverb (not a special fx reverb the 1st place but it can sound really crazy too) for that purpose.

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
8152 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:30 am

MeldaProduction wrote:We'll definitely put some attention to it after the major update. Anyways I sort of regret I didn't rather release 100 reverbs :D, seems that that would be way more profitable, though boring, clumsy to use etc. :D
You still can, just build some verb plugins with limited algos and sell them for $50 each to compete with Valhalla.

Pretty sure theyd go like hot cakes and would be a gateway drug to the rest of the Melda range.

Seems its mainly the GUI that put many potential users off. Not sure why, the revamped default GUI looks pretty slick to me.

dmbaer
KVRian
1020 posts since 11 Nov, 2009 from Northern CA

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:58 pm

VariKusBrainZ wrote: You still can, just build some verb plugins with limited algos and sell them for $50 each to compete with Valhalla.
Actually, think composite plug-ins that might have reverb as a key (but not sole) reason for being. With MXXX, there are essentially infinite possibilities of what could be concocted. Given what can be done in MXXX, there's really all kinds of potential to put together some kind of FX that has nothing else competing against it all built on MXXX in the way that MTurboReverbLE is built upon MTurboReverb but doesn't expose the internal goodies. And at 50 bucks a pop ($25 during sales), these sorts of things might indeed sell like hotcakes.

I've really wondered about an MTurboDelay alternative in this context. In looking at a number specialty delays available (those that do something way beyond what the delay bundled with your DAW does), there are some very interesting solutions out there which are entirely unique (e.g., AAS Objec Delay, Eventide MultiTap, Rob Papen RP Delay) but these are typically priced rather more than the typical home studio practitioner is willing to pay for yet another delay. Is a better solution (marketing/sales-wise) selling a small set of more highly-focused specialty delays that are priced low?

But maybe Valhalla has found the magic formula for success with the 50 dollar price point. Four Valhalla plug-ins cost 200 bucks, but you don't have to spend the 200 bucks all at once - makes the pain considerably less that way. 50 bucks is low enough to be in impulse-buy territory for some folks.

As to MTurboReverb, I'm not too surprised if there has not been a lot of interest in the full version because DIY reverb design is simply too esoteric a pursuit for most people to get their heads around and MTurboReverb is a too expensive for most people to buy just for some fun times playing around with on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

MeldaProduction
KVRAF

Post Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:22 pm

dmbaer: I agree. The problem I see here is that the added features are often not viewed as additions, but more like "a problem", despite they are hidden in the guts of the plugin and you don't need to interact with it at all. But that's just people I guess.

Sam-U: I'd actually remove some of the older plugins. It was never an intention to have several EQs and comps (though look at Waves or UAD :D ). It was just the development in time... But you know, backwards compatibility is a b*** and I'm simply not willing to let the users of these plugins stuck.

dmbaer
KVRian
1020 posts since 11 Nov, 2009 from Northern CA

Post Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:50 pm

MeldaProduction wrote:But you know, backwards compatibility is a b***
Old joke:

Q: How could God create the world in only seven days?

A: No installed user base. :hihi:

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
8152 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Post Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:52 pm

I suppose MTurboReverbLE is the cheap and easy version but has anyone seen it in the wild ?

Or is just that your licence reveals less features if you dont have the correct licence?

I see that LE is included in MCreativeFX Bundle but MTurboReverb is selected if you install the MCreativeFXBundle option in the installer.

I cant check as Ive got the Everything Bundle

Out of curiosity which plugins do you consider redundant?
ie the ones you would remove if you could

MeldaProduction
KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:54 pm

dmbaer: :D :D yeah, well, God might have smited the existing world :D, I, well, I know addresses of all paying customers, so... hmmm :borg: :evil: :D

VarikusBrainZ: Actually from what I have found in various reviews in magazines, people actually do seem to care. For some crazy reason "if there are some features, they must be used, otherwise the plugin isn't used to the full potential and would make some people feel dumb, so perhaps it's better not to use it at all" :D.

I'd remove some of the old stuff like MStereoExpander, MDynamicEq (because Auto version is enough), MEqualizerLP (because there is Auto), MModernCompressor probably (just because there is MDynamics and the automatic compression doesn't seem to be too attractive). I would probably even remove stuff like MAutopan, because there is MAutopanMB, so I'd probably go with a different licencing scheme, so that the multiband version is free, but somewhat limited... Same for many others... anyways too late, I never thought MeldaProduction would grow so big :D

Return to “MeldaProduction”