Triggering random values for each sound

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Started writing a post asking for help figuring this out... then I solved it, so thought I'd share.

Say I have a bunch of one-shots, like drum hits. I want to set a random effect value (e.g. comb delay time) for the duration of the sound. The goal being that when using complex effects, i can randomise the parameters for each sound that plays but the parameter doesn't move during the sound, so each drum hit (or in my case, sound effect) can sound totally different to the next one, in a random fashion. Example being, different EQ settings, or different comb delay sounds, etc.

First, set up a modulator controlling the parameter as usual, set it to random mode, enable 'true random' if you want different values for each playback (i do in my case as each render resets playback). Set the mode to 'steps'.
Then set up another modulator controlling the first modulator's speed value. Set it to 'Envelope' mode, and set it up so it's basically 'on' when there's signal and 'off' when there's not. Invert the range.

Now, the random modulator constantly changes the parameter in a random fashion, but when any sound is playing the speed of the randomisation essentially stops/freezes, 'locking' the parameter value for the duration of the sound.

Maybe someone will find thing interesting/useful. Thanks!

:clap:

It always amuses me to see the complex stuff people can build using the mods!
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Careful - we may ask for a few more Modulators!
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Return to “MeldaProduction”