2 queries (MXXX, modulators)

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Q1: The LFO module in MXXX, can it be used with modules other than Ratio by input?

Q2: How does one make use of the R (read) and W (write) buttons, on the title bar of modulators?

Q1 - never used it

Q2 - when enabled they Read or Write the "LFO Automated Value" form/to your DAW host. Of course, you need to set up the DAW to record/ read them too. Click the [?] button in the tool bar to read about them, or hover over either one and press F1.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:… when enabled they Read or Write the "LFO Automated Value" form/to your DAW host.
Ah! Thanks.
For some reason, i presumed the automation was stored somewhere in the plugin. Perhaps targeting the Modulator's centre/base Value. The case, however, is that it is host automation overriding the plugin's Modulator. An odd option, given Multiparameters deliver the same functionality. Writing the Modulation to host is convenient though. It allows a kind of bounce-down of Modulators, freeing it for reassignment and reconfiguration, and using the recorded-to-host automation to control the relevant parameters directly. ie. a way to use more than the number of modulators offered by a given plugin.

Melda has provided some excellent video tutorials for many of the common features like modulators on the Melda website. Required viewing if you are serious about learning how to make optimal use of your Melda plug-ins. Highly recommended!

Thanks dmbaer.
i viewed the series on modulators before posting my query here. There was no mention of the R and W buttons and after unsuccessful attempts to make use of them, i resorted to this forum. Quite the relief to now being able to utilize them.

Same is true of my first question. The tutorial videos for MXXX is where i learned of the combination of the LFO and Ratio by input modules. Not sure which other module would lend itself well to accepting the LFO output. That it exists for only one module seems like avoiding tantalising possibilities.

As an adjunct curiosity, does the same apply to the Follower module?
i'm aware that it can be used on the Compressor sidechain, though that seems redundant as it has its own follower.

levendis wrote:Thanks dmbaer.
i viewed the series on modulators before posting my query here. There was no mention of the R and W buttons and after unsuccessful attempts to make use of them, i resorted to this forum. Quite the relief to now being able to utilize them.

Same is true of my first question. The tutorial videos for MXXX is where i learned of the combination of the LFO and Ratio by input modules. Not sure which other module would lend itself well to accepting the LFO output. That it exists for only one module seems like avoiding tantalising possibilities.

As an adjunct curiosity, does the same apply to the Follower module?
i'm aware that it can be used on the Compressor sidechain, though that seems redundant as it has its own follower.
The modulators can be used in a million different ways. Seriously - probably more than a million. Open a preset in MXXX that's got a bunch of modules in use. Then bring up a modulator window, click on the add-mod-target button and just look at all the targets available.

To answer your above question, same advice. Open the follower modulator, click add-mod-target and just see all that's there. Now, all those targets don't make sense for having follower modulation, but they are all valid candidates.

dmbaer wrote:The modulators can be used in a million different ways.
Yea, i'm aware of this. The two questions i asked were separate entities. The second was to do with modulators but the first was about the LFO module, that can be added to the Modular editor, and is distinct from the Normal modulator. Similarly, i wanted to know of some ways to use the Follower module, again, the one that can be added to the Modular editor.

i'm sure to come across some use cases, in time. Currently, i'm aware of Ratio by input's 2nd sidechain (3rd input) which is mapped to control the Ratio parameter.
LFO and Follower controlling Ratio.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OK, now I see what you are talking about - in which case I don't quit understand what you are asking (I assumed you were talking about modulators, not modules, which was my error).

After some goofin' 'round, i've come to accept that the LFO module piped into the sidechain input of any processor which has it, is worth experimenting with. Works great with BitFun!

Initially asked the question here in case others had example usages.

Uuuu, getting high-tech! I like that! :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

levendis wrote:
dmbaer wrote:The modulators can be used in a million different ways.
Yea, i'm aware of this. The two questions i asked were separate entities. The second was to do with modulators but the first was about the LFO module, that can be added to the Modular editor, and is distinct from the Normal modulator. Similarly, i wanted to know of some ways to use the Follower module, again, the one that can be added to the Modular editor.

i'm sure to come across some use cases, in time. Currently, i'm aware of Ratio by input's 2nd sidechain (3rd input) which is mapped to control the Ratio parameter.
LFO and Follower controlling Ratio.PNG
What puzzles me about this example is why an LFO module was used in the first place (you'll need to scroll up to see the original image of the preset layout). If there's some reason the LFO module was used in preference to a modulator controlling a simple ratio module, I'm not seeing it.

MeldaProduction wrote:Uuuu, getting high-tech! I like that! :D
Thanks! :D
Your plugins offer manifold possibilities. There's strong temptation to explore sonic contortions.
dmbaer wrote:What puzzles me about this example is why an LFO module was used… in preference to a modulator…
No reason to use it in preference to, rather, as adjunct. Say you've used all 16 modulators supplied, then the LFO or Follower module can be extra modulation sources.

Also, those modules output at audio rate so using them on sidechains offers a different kind of modulation. i mentioned BitFun sourcing its Control signal (sidechain) from those modules, which can't be done with the Modulators, yet gives you the option of modulator-esque articulation.

i'm not sure about the following but will mention it. Cross-modulating Modulators, pointing one to the rate of another, for example, increases CPU usage heavily. Pointing a Modulator to the rate of an LFO module might take less resources (though i'm not sure if this is the case).

You can also put, say, a wavefolder on the LFO, to induce extra harmonics through waveshaping. Modulating amplitude and rate of the LFO gives you a control signal with more flexibility than the Transformation Shape of Modulators.

levendis wrote:You can also put, say, a wavefolder on the LFO, to induce extra harmonics through waveshaping. Modulating amplitude and rate of the LFO gives you a control signal with more flexibility than the Transformation Shape of Modulators.
OK, I'll buy that reasoning. However, if one cannot get as convoluted a waveshape as one would want out of all the existing oscillator possibilities in the modulator already, then maybe that individual has too much time on his hands. :D

It's less a matter of 'want' than exploring the possibilities in MXXX, 'cause i do appreciate the extensive range Modulators offer. Remember, this post was asking for ways to deploy the LFO module.

Return to “MeldaProduction”