Melda gain sweetspot

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hello all, hope you're all ok.
is there a specific gain sweet-spot that melda explicitly suggests their plugins should be 'hit' on input?

(i am not looking for engineering advice just would like to know specific to melda if they've said anything or have some concrete range in mind when programming).

thanks for any answers,

be well.
ilias :wink:

I think most MeldaPlugins are pretty linear in terms of input-transformation across different input-volumes. Exceptions might be the new MTurboEQ and MTurboCompressor which are modeled after real gear (that does have sweet spots, or at least sounds different across the input-volume "dimension").
I'd live to hear Vojtech on that too.

It should become common sense for plugin developers to include a "sweet-spot" trim and display in their plugins when ever they are not "linear". Take NI SuperCharger GT for example. It has a input trim control with a small led. If you have a too low or too high input level it turns red, if you are in the sweet spot it turns yellow. Very handy. With other modeled plugins you have to guess where that sweet spot might be (-18dB VU might be a good educated guess though). You might also find out where that sweet spot is, when you RTFM, but we agree that this is kind of wimpy... :wink:

P.S. I hope it is clear what I mean by "linear". Of course a basic compressor with a soft knee is not linear within its working range (the transfer curve is not linear). However the raw input volume does not affect the sound, because you compensate for the offset with the input gain or the threshold (the transfer curve is the same for every input volume so to speak). With old analog gear it was different, as I understand it (especially when it had no input-gain control). The level of the input signal could have a heavy influence on how the whole thing sounded - so a proper gainstaging was essential back then. Then with digital effects with mostly "linear" digital algorithms proper gainstaging had become less important for some time. However today with all that analog modeled plugins gain-staging has become a lot more important again even in the digital world.

It usually doesn't matter indeed, but it's a tradition that if there is a sweet spot, it is around -20 to 0dBFS.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

How about MAutoVolume? I seem to recall it being -16 dBFS perhaps on this one.(?) It makes things easier when you're trying to match up the Input and Output meters.

I wouldn't do that, it's dynamics processing. The op most likely asked about the gain in / fader movements for ideal results.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

How about the turbo plugins that emulate analog gear? "Folks" claim that such types of plugins will have a sweet.spot like their real-world counterparts.

Masi

PS: What a shame that there is no sweetness below -20dbFS ;)

Hehe I just "created" the number -20dBFS :D. I personally believe sweetspot is a nonsense - sure, above certain level the analog stuff (and emulations including MTurbo...) start distorting way too much, but hey, maybe that's what you want/need! Below certain level they stop doing much, but again, perhaps that's what you need! ;) This is music, there are no real sweetspots, universally working presets etc... And btw. nobody ever made a perfect mix... And nobody ever will :D.
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:Hehe I just "created" the number -20dBFS :D. I personally believe sweetspot is a nonsense - sure, above certain level the analog stuff (and emulations including MTurbo...) start distorting way too much, but hey, maybe that's what you want/need! Below certain level they stop doing much, but again, perhaps that's what you need! ;) This is music, there are no real sweetspots, universally working presets etc... And btw. nobody ever made a perfect mix... And nobody ever will :D.
That is, until the Mixing Revolution is launched...

MeldaProduction wrote:Hehe I just "created" the number -20dBFS :D. I personally believe sweetspot is a nonsense
The range from 0 to -20 made that perfectly clear. Actually I wouldn't have expected anything else from you :)

Masi

Hehe yeah :D. You know, this is music, not science ;).
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”