[SOLVED] Evolution Engine strumming "lag"

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi! Sorry if this question has already been answered. I actually couldn't find a "search" box for this forum!

Anyway, I've just started using the "Strum" feature in the Evolution engine by doing a simple two-measure, one-chord-per-measure test. I have a D-major chord, changing to an A-minor chord, then I'm just using one strumming pattern that I hold (as a single MIDI note) across both chords. Each chord is supposed to last four beats, then change right on beat 1 of the next measure. I've uploaded an image of the event list so you can see just how simple this test really is.

But when I play it, the previous chord seems to "lag" over into the first beat of the next measure, then it's really about beat 2 by the time the new chord kicks in. I've tried a number of tweaks on the notes, including making them stop about a full 1/8th note before the end of the measure. This lag happens whether I use one of the pre-built strumming patterns or whether I just use a simple one that I created from scratch.

My DAW is Sonar. I don't have a super-powerful computer, but I never really have any lag patterns if I just manually play each strum through my keyboard. But playing that way produces less-than-desirable results. I'd really like to be able to use strum patterns instead.

What am I doing wrong?

Joel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jm302music on Sun May 13, 2018 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hey Joel,

What happens when you move the chord input notes forward about a 32nd note, so they’re right before the beat?

Yes, it worked! Thank you so much for the help, bjderganc!

For anyone who may come across this thread, I've added an updated version of my event list to show you how the notes are different (and working) now.

Thanks again for the help!

Joel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Glad to hear it worked out!

Essentially, the engine needs the chord data a tiny bit in advance so it can make the right decisions about what samples to choose.

Yup, that makes perfect sense now that you say that.

Before, when I had the MIDI notes starting precisely on beat 1:000, it sounded like the engine was trying to play previous chord again in the new measure, then suddenly "realized" that it needed to play the new chord instead and switched to the new chord on about beat 2.

Again, thank you for saving me a lot of hours and headaches! :)

Joel

hej
try this:
open track menu in inspector
go to Delay, type in -50 ms, it must be a negative value
this make it start -50ms before midi note
then you dont have to place midi note slightly before bars
try different ms value to get groove you want

PaulMe

Hi,
sorry to summon a pretty old thread, but after spending more than 3 hours trying to make the strumming engine work properly I decided to download it again (in my case Flatpick 6) and noticed that the size of the instruments (.nkc and .nkr files) was different.

Now it seems to be working great! :party:

I guess I missed an update? I'm not subscribed to the newsletter but when I log into my account it does not meniton anything in terms of updates / changelog / version...

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”