Buzz Trills?

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, after a few years of owning a number of OTS guitars, I still haven't got my head around Buzz Trills. What exactly are they, how do I use them and what are the best articulation triggers to use?

It's really just a quick ornament where you briefly slide up a half step and then slide back down to the starting note. Because your entire hand slides between those notes, it can give it a characteristic buzzing sound, compared to playing that same sequence as hammer ons / pull offs, which would sound cleaner.

They're most commonly used on bass (especially in funk), though I've heard guitarists play them every once in a while. My best guess is--at least in the bass world--that it originated from emulating fretless vibrato, where you move your entire fretting hand back and forth to get a wide vibrato sound. When played on a fretted instrument it gives you that buzzing trill between the notes.

I'll have to put together some examples so you can get some ideas of where to use that articulation in phrases.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Thanks Greg. Some examples would be really useful.

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”