Nuages set [1, 2, & 3], Périphériques (1).

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote:I don't know what this aversion to highs is around here, I've seen it before but I don't have it.
Obviously this can be highly subjective. The fundamental problem with high frequencies is that they are extremely piercing and unpleasant when loud.

A loud bass sounds loud, a loud high pitched whine can be painful.

Headphones and particularly earbuds can make the highs a lot more pronounced too. Stuff that sounds fine on my speakers is painful to listen to on earbuds. It's the nature of the beast.

Then there's the fact that we all hear differently. And the older you are, the less you're going to hear these annoying frequencies. I've heard very annoying and painful high frequency stuff in mixes done by someone ~15 years older than me, and it's obvious that he can't hear that stuff any more. He boosts the highs, so he can hear them, and then it's way too super-loud for everyone else.

On my speakers, the high frequencies sound piercing, but intentionally so in your track. But I would be wary of listening to it on my $10 earbuds based on prior experience. To me, you were still within the acceptable boundaries, but the sound is definitely edgy. I think it works well in the context of the piece here.

Yeah well, I decided early on in my mixing journey I would not be mixing [mastering] for such transducers, earbuds or laptop speakers, what-have-you. There are people who can do really well with a product that is kind of optimized for an average but that's beyond my pay grade as they say.

NB: piccolo flute is made to produce sounds up there. Once upon a time some of these sounds never made it to a record because of the recording and reproductive media.

I do_not boost them so that I may hear them with this purported old person damage. I tested this, hearing 16khz at -30dB and this was on my MBP speakers. Just did another, 17k via these [Shure SRH440] phones. I'm 61. :P

anyway, thanks for your thoughtful remarks

sometimes pain = pleasure

jancivil wrote:anyway, thanks for your thoughtful remarks

sometimes pain = pleasure
Indeed, there's a place for ugly/harsh/piercing in music. I also reckon this isn't really targeting the yoof on mobile crowd.

Although that makes me wonder whether the kids of today haven't all blown their high frequency hearing from listening to loud music through earbuds on their mobile phones? :lol:

yeah the thing with highs is theres contextual that work within the piece and theres the out of place highs that are just mix issues.

in honesty, i feel when you have any sort of deep brooding tone, such as the back drop here, it becomes almost a necessity to have something contrasting and piercing, often times it may be well use a percussive element for that, but there are other instruments which are from that register in an orchestra, they need some lovin too :D

I think the highs on here are quite comfortable, certainly when I recall the first (Nov. 2017) version of this. I love the long fade at the end.

Good work :)

The highs did not change in Nuages '1'!

This was just a little bit of piccolo and some reverb channel return for a couple seconds.

thanks, I wish I could reproduce that ambience at the end but it's long gone, apparently

PS: heard 18k in a test just now. I'm skeptical /ed.: period.
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

and, Périphérique rebuilt. For the people who love some highs. Almost no one heard this anyway.

I had actually deleted all copies of this video by mistake, after I called the first one I did Périphériques 2. My mind is going. So I had to rebuild it. It looked bleak for around a day there. I had deleted too many things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxs8Uw1 ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote:and, Périphérique rebuilt. For the people who love some highs.
I like most highs. It's more the morning after that's the problem.

Nice and edgy. I like that. Great use of contrast. Or, as vurt so nicely put it, there are highs that are
vurt wrote:... contextual, that work within the piece

Hal wrote: Dave. My mind is going. I can feel it.
I deliberately saved this for some late-night attention when the rest of the household is safely tucked up in bed. The quote above was a reference to your post, but the Ligeti influence kinda fits in with that too.

I had a blocked ear for the last 4 days and have been treating it with hydrogen peroxide based solution. About 4 hours ago, my hearing returned.

No way I can hear 18K. Last time I checked it was about 14 :(

Good work, and glad you managed to recover this :)

Yes the initial drone is very nice...
The squeaky door "synth" is cool.
Tuned percussion is a good change.
I like the flitting in and out of different lines. Just noticed you called it bird rhythm! ;)
Well done.
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

seismic1 wrote:
Hal wrote: Dave. My mind is going. I can feel it.
I deliberately saved this for some late-night attention when the rest of the household is safely tucked up in bed. The quote above was a reference to your post, but the Ligeti influence kinda fits in with that too.

I had a blocked ear for the last 4 days and have been treating it with hydrogen peroxide based solution. About 4 hours ago, my hearing returned.

No way I can hear 18K. Last time I checked it was about 14 :(

Good work, and glad you managed to recover this :)
very aware of the Hal damage once I'd expressed 'My mind is going.'.

I had to go to the doctor I had such a blocked left ear. They shot some water into it a few times and all this crap came out so I was fixed. Usually hydrogen peroxide will do it.

thanks

I have to watch hard drive space with the mechanical, spinning drive on this POS. I kept the bare minimum needed in terms of audio or at least the proper instrumental template to recover this thing.

Thanks, sjm and Allomerus.

sjm wrote: A loud bass sounds loud, a loud high pitched whine can be painful.
Donno how alone I am in this, but I frequently find too much bass oppressive and it can make me very uncomfortable physically.

remixed, not that anyone would notice the diff. Good time to check this out if you haven't.

https://youtu.be/DhhQ_eziwBQ

I rather like it finally, as lumpy as it is. Chock full of music, this compo. :arrow:
Last edited by jancivil on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nuages 3
This took forever. So many things I wanted were elusive.

Again, Nuages, clouds, is about the density of the harmonic fabric which felt like condensation.

Deep listening? Maybe. Not a slow tempo but a long of long tones as has been typical last year and this.

EDIT: revision def preferable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXM1kXm ... CV&index=4
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:03 am, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Music Cafe”