3am - Anti-Climax (did I miss anything good?)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow!
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Very crisp, big sounds that take over my senses and crush them into a fine smokable powder. Love it. Probably my favorite track right now. I am once more in awe of what you are doing, yet cannot for the life of me figure out exactly how you are doing it. Keep it up, J. Amazin track choc full o wierdness.
No....smiley....should... have sent...a poet.

Great song.

A unique melange of sounds.

8)8)8)

Thanks guys! I'm actually tempted to extend the end out another minute or two, now that I'm done. I just got kinda bored of the riffs/phrases I was using at that point. That's part of the reason I called it Anti-Climax. :hihi:

Vieris, I know what you mean about the more atmospheric, groovy parts (i.e. the beginning after the intro), I have enough material to create another track based on the more mellow bits. The verb you hear is supposed to be subtle but stands out more in the quiet bits. I've got a dark hall being fed from the sends of most of the channels. There is a compressor after the verb with some pretty extreme settings that is being triggered via side chain by the dry mix. The result is kinda' the opposite of a gated verb. :)

Folderol: When I read your post upside down it says Momi :D

ooo - will listen when i'm back at home tonight!

justin3am wrote:The verb you hear is supposed to be subtle but stands out more in the quiet bits. I've got a dark hall being fed from the sends of most of the channels. There is a compressor after the verb with some pretty extreme settings that is being triggered via side chain by the dry mix. The result is kinda' the opposite of a gated verb. :)
ahh thats it.. I do this with vocals. Mark hawley tori amos trick. Never tried it on a full mix come to think of it.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com

vieris wrote:
justin3am wrote:The verb you hear is supposed to be subtle but stands out more in the quiet bits. I've got a dark hall being fed from the sends of most of the channels. There is a compressor after the verb with some pretty extreme settings that is being triggered via side chain by the dry mix. The result is kinda' the opposite of a gated verb. :)
ahh thats it.. I do this with vocals. Mark hawley tori amos trick. Never tried it on a full mix come to think of it.
You know, I haven't listened to "Little Earthquakes" in years! I'll have to go back to my "passive aggressive lesbian" roots for a little bit tonight. My mentor Nancy at LBCC told me about the *compression on the vocal plate* thing and I bet that you nailed where she got it. :)

When I used the technique mentioned, the signal was being routed from the master buss before the limiter smashed 6-8dB off the dynamic range and I let only a small amount through to the side chain so that only those super sharp peaks from the kick snare and bass were triggering the VCA. The attack was set kinda slow and the decay was set kinda fast. The effect is more subtle than I make it sound but it really helps a gobal verb "stick" to the mix. Of course I don't need to tell you this but for those interested, this is a case when compressing a reverb works (contrary to popular belief that one should not compress a reverb :) ).

Justin,

You should work in the videogame industry making music. This track will awesome. It sounds like it would fit perfectly in a game like System Shock, or any futurist game for that matter.
Software: Reason 10, Acid Pro 8, Reaper, Sibelius,RapidComposer,Captain Plugins, Orb Plugins
https://soundcloud.com/devin-cooper-620205327
Need help with writing Lyrics, Try This: https://lyricstudio.net/?via=devin

silenthill2006 wrote:
You should work in the videogame industry making music. This track will awesome. It sounds like it would fit perfectly in a game like System Shock, or any futurist game for that matter.
Well, it's funny that you mention that... heh, heh.

You're not the first person to say that. My boss has connections at EA and he suggested that I submit some stuff to them. One of my coworkers has had some stuff in their games, he loves doing that stuff. I'm lazy though, it requires that I do stuff and if they like my material they might start giving me deadlines. :help: I'm not big on deadlines.

I appreciate the sentiment.

My favorite video game sound track ever? The sound track for Quake that Trent Reznor did. I have it on CD even, awesome scary stuff.

Very good track. Reminds me of Aphex Twin & Squarepusher. The sound is bright & clean. Another winner from 3am! This one is going in my mp3 player...

Pretty darn cool!

Thanks a bunch guys!
:)

Yeah, this is good stuff. Love the way the fat juno bass dovetails with the rhythm.
I will be keeping this one, for sure :love:

Mayhap I can get ya'll to collab?

runagate wrote:Mayhap I can get ya'll to collab?
bagsy egg-shaker, 70% functional 70's synths and fender rhodes! :hihi:

Return to “Music Cafe”