3am - duz this beat sound pro yet (or not)? lol

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRian
623 posts since 24 Apr, 2003

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:30 pm

BTW, what's the new kick and bass trick you're using? :)

KVRAF

Topic Starter

11459 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:50 pm

chilln wrote:BTW, what's the new kick and bass trick you're using? :)
That is a secret 8) I'll tell you this though... if you look at the kick's waveform it's about 8dB quieter than anything else in the mix but it sounds like it's 6dB louder. It has a lot to do with the way bass frequencies push air. I don't use exciters, maximizers or anything that claims to work like magick. It's all about looking at the dynamics of a track like a physics riddle and the frequency ranges of each instrument as puzzle pieces.

Thanks for the words about the mix... honestly the title is kind of a joke. The mix is fine as far as I'm concerned. It's not done but I know what I need to do.

Peace.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:12 pm

rubika wrote:There's some beat crusher in this track ?
I've been doing a search and have not been able to locate this beat crusher you speak of. There are 5 or 6 percussion parts in this track. One is a battery kit I made after hitting stuff around my office with a drum stick. The rest were made with Zebra run through MFM2 and the granular delay I made in reaktor. All the weird edits and time changes were done by simply editing the audio with a fine toothed comb. No tempo automation, no automatic FSU effects. :)

KVRian
665 posts since 12 Sep, 2006 from bat country

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:16 pm

i'm listening on a pair of $10 desktop speakers that have no bass at all, but i love the glitchyness in this, and the overall groove.

KVRian
1369 posts since 21 Oct, 2004 from New England Transplant to West LA

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:46 am

Great work once again.. I love your use of verb tails. It's still dry but with space. reminds me a bit of AE Teartear. I love that track so much. Not to get off subject but when the tempo slows down in teartear & the hat type sound becomes the new driving force t's just amazing. Everyones needs to hear that. The tempo actually becomes faster do to the 1/2 time thing going on.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com - http://popsound.com

KVRer
15 posts since 8 Aug, 2008 from sweden

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:11 pm

great job man

KVRist
61 posts since 5 Oct, 2006 from Orléans

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:31 pm

justin3am wrote:
rubika wrote:There's some beat crusher in this track ?
I've been doing a search and have not been able to locate this beat crusher you speak of.
Well. I can't remember if it's bit krusher, beat crusher or anything else... I'll try to look for it when I'm back home. But essentially, that's a plugin to kind of destroy beats and make it sounds like it's been crushed. ;)
HarPar - Harold
---------------
http://liveacademy.fr
http://haroldparis.fr

KVRAF
10111 posts since 17 Sep, 2004 from Austin, TX

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:35 pm

deaf dunderkwac wrote:well apparently cj is offline for awhile so I'm sitting in for him in loo of Mr. Hamburger.
thanks, mate, I appreciate it ;)

I do fecking wish I could hear that, and I'm gonna PM you when I'm back to see what kind of bass trickery you're doing... I have a SHITTY 2.1 desktop speaker system and the bass sounds terrible on everything no matter how well produced so I'm amused that I mix bass in headphones atm.

There's a nice cover of the cantina band song by Bungle when they were young, and I've been listening to Sir Duke by Stevie about 10 times a day recently in lieu of new polyslax :lol:

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:34 pm

vieris wrote:Great work once again.. I love your use of verb tails. It's still dry but with space. reminds me a bit of AE Teartear. I love that track so much. Not to get off subject but when the tempo slows down in teartear & the hat type sound becomes the new driving force t's just amazing. Everyones needs to hear that. The tempo actually becomes faster do to the 1/2 time thing going on.
Oh, man I know exactly what you are talking about! One of my favorite Ae moments as well. As you know they are probably my biggest single influence. From use of reverb to rhythmic approach... I can hear them in everything I do. I don't mean that in an egotistical way, I mean that with as much reverence as I can muster!

Thanks for listening :)

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:36 pm

runagate wrote:
deaf dunderkwac wrote:well apparently cj is offline for awhile so I'm sitting in for him in loo of Mr. Hamburger.
thanks, mate, I appreciate it ;)

I do fecking wish I could hear that, and I'm gonna PM you when I'm back to see what kind of bass trickery you're doing... I have a SHITTY 2.1 desktop speaker system and the bass sounds terrible on everything no matter how well produced so I'm amused that I mix bass in headphones atm.

There's a nice cover of the cantina band song by Bungle when they were young, and I've been listening to Sir Duke by Stevie about 10 times a day recently in lieu of new polyslax :lol:
Runny, I think you will like this more than anything else I've ever done :D I look forward to your response.

I hope you are well.

KVRAF
3723 posts since 30 Jan, 2005 from rochester, ny

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:49 am

nice.

i don't think the bass is too high, with the possible exception of some subbass frequencies, such as the tails of the kicks around the one minute mark. i'm not sure what these would do to less than professional speakers?

try banishing the frequencies under 40 hz. i use a low shelf filter, but a high pass will do just as well.

ugo
KVRAF
5016 posts since 6 Jan, 2003

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:53 am

Listening now, and I'm about half way through so far. Holy crap...this is excellent.

KVRAF
3003 posts since 24 Nov, 2003 from Heidelberg&Hamburg

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:56 am

I can only listen to it over my laptop speakers and then the headphones, and I really like this song well. I would not give you any production hints ;-) as if i remember right it was from your website I learned a lot about sampling and so on. And additionally, sometimes I just love to listen to good music without thinking how this was done or that. This has a certain "ongoing drive", e-hemm...that is wonderful.
As is the thread. In 30 years i suspect we all will be vegetarians, but your pizzy recipe is nice (maybe without bratwurst and schnitzel and nürnbergerröstbratwuerstel don't mention the war ;-) thanks for this!

KVRian
623 posts since 24 Apr, 2003

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:05 am

justin3am wrote:
chilln wrote:BTW, what's the new kick and bass trick you're using? :)
That is a secret 8) I'll tell you this though... if you look at the kick's waveform it's about 8dB quieter than anything else in the mix but it sounds like it's 6dB louder. It has a lot to do with the way bass frequencies push air. I don't use exciters, maximizers or anything that claims to work like magick. It's all about looking at the dynamics of a track like a physics riddle and the frequency ranges of each instrument as puzzle pieces.

Thanks for the words about the mix... honestly the title is kind of a joke. The mix is fine as far as I'm concerned. It's not done but I know what I need to do.

Peace.
I love secrets. :D Thanks for the hints, though. :P :)

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:32 pm

Hey, thanks guys...
@Rach... I always cut 18dB/octave below 30Hz :o The fundamental of the sub bass is (I think) somewhere near 10-12Hz so all you really hear in this mix are the 2nd harmonic and up. Normally this would eliminate the power behind that fundamental but using creative EQing you can reinforce those harmonics by weighing them against a relative power curve (according to how we hear those frequencies). If I did it right, the emphasis should have been on the lowest frequency any given system is able to reproduce but I still haven't perfected the technique so it may sound completely different on you system than mine. I have some pretty fancy monitors but I don't have a sub so I can only imagine what it would sound like on a system that can accurately reproduce freqs below 30Hz. :hihi: Thanks for the critique :) What monitors are you using? I imagine perhaps, HR824s?

@Klemper... You know I always want the threads I start to have a hint of humor. I don't take anything very seriously so it's kind of like an open mic free for all here. Everyone is free to derail or rant or whatever. Thanks for listening. :)

Thanks Ugo and thanks again chilln!

Return to “Music Cafe”