3am - Toronto (now for something pretty)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is the first track I've done that really shows what the Octatrack can do. This whole thing was constructed live, in one take. Not a single preset pattern, everything was sequenced live via Numerology and the Octatrack. Enjoy!

http://soundcloud.com/justin3am/toronto
http://www.3amnoise.net/toronto.mp3

The two main synth sounds cam from my Eurorack modular.

1. Hertz Donut->Triple Wavefolder->QMMG->Eventide PitchFactor
2. Piston Honda->QMMG->EH The Worm pedal->EH Deluxe Memory Boy pedal->Line6 DL4
These were both sequenced from Numerology using Silent Way with an ES-3. Live step editing via Novation Launch Pad.

Those synth parts were then sampled into the Octatrack for further manipulation.
The pad is from my V-Synth, also sequenced with Numerology.

The synth drums came from my MFB-503. Some sounds were sampled ahead of time then sequenced with the Octatrack, others were sequenced in Numerology and sampled as loops on the fly for further manipulation. The break beat is an old recording of a friend of mine playing a song that we did when we were in a band together (ahh, nostalgia).

That's pretty much all there is too it. I may add an electric bass and guitar part but that would be tough to reproduce live, trying to get this going made me sweat as it is. :lol:

I forgot to mention that I haven't given this a good "release ready" mix yet so if you hear anything that sounds like shit please, don't hesitate to let me know.

Also, too, this is the first time I've used my UBK Fatso on a track. This thing makes obesity effortless.

very nice 8)
"Its my firm belief that its a mistake to hold firm beliefs"
https://soundcloud.com/biomechanoid

Like how that works out here...the bottom end sounds really low endish here..I like it!! :love:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

The low end is pretty heavy but not very tight. I'm going to have to leave it alone for a few weeks and come back to it. My ears are burnt right now.

Thanks for listening!

quite a bit of this appeals to me ...
other parts , not so much ...
i am , however , completely enamored by the process ...

i would love to hear you introduce elements of
your earlier track , 'omitted' , as a replacement for the breakbeats ...

the oscillator sync , towards the outro , caught my attention ...

Let's get this out of the way first...
justin3am wrote:this is the first time I've used my UBK Fatso on a track.
I hate you!

There, that feels better. ;)

Beautiful! I love the delicate layers mixed with heavy beats idea. The uniqueness of each sound is awesome, beats the hell out of looping.
Image Image

Great stuff Justin, excellent live performance.

great track! sounds like it was interesting to conjure it up, too.

on an almost related note, found a link to your "I am mystery" stuff on muffwiggler a few weeks ago, and I really, really like that stuff, been playing this'n'that from it every other day. keep 'em coming! :tu:

Loving every bit of it, fav'd!
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

beautiful...just beautiful.

i don't know what else to say 8)

neil.

normal wrote: i am , however , completely enamored by the process ...
It's been an incredible challenge for me. Performing music doesn't come naturally to me so it requires a lot of practice and determination. I went through about 24 takes over two days to get this one right. I still think I can do better.
normal wrote:i would love to hear you introduce elements of
your earlier track , 'omitted' , as a replacement for the breakbeats ...
I'd do it if I had enough patch cables. :lol: The breakbeat has sentimental value to me so it stays. ;)

Thanks!

polyslax wrote:Let's get this out of the way first...
justin3am wrote:this is the first time I've used my UBK Fatso on a track.
I hate you!
:lol: :P

Thanks Matt. :)

Lunatic_Machinist wrote:on an almost related note, found a link to your "I am mystery" stuff on muffwiggler a few weeks ago, and I really, really like that stuff, been playing this'n'that from it every other day. keep 'em coming! :tu:
Thanks man, I appreciate it. This will be the first track off my next album. Each track for the new one is based around the same idea of performing the songs in one go. Thanks for listening!

Thanks also to Ronnie, Niel and Doug.

Return to “Music Cafe”