New Prodigy Single

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

donkey tugger wrote:What was that? Emile Heskey's new single? :-o
What's it called? Falling Down?

I like it, but not in a prodigy way. More of a Junior Senior poppy sort of way. A bit disappointing from Prodigy I reckon. Sounds a bit like Manchild did 4 years ago. :?

Cash Money? Cash money is THE all time greatest Scratch DJ. An absolute legend!! :D DMC Hall of Fame called him 'the worlds greatest DJ'.

I don't think it matters that it was wrote in Reason, my old ZX Spectrum would probably sound great through Pro Tools. :wink:
There are 2 rules to being a success in life: 1. Never give out all the information.

Hmm... I'm guessing most people here just don't like the retro beastie boys meets breaks/big beat sound. Despite the poor rip quality, that track is really well produced. Production wise its almost identical to the classic prodigy sound. Same 4 bar breaks, same kind of percussive variation, same jumpy segues... The main difference is the dark acidy sound has been toned down and mixed with the retro hiphop pop thing. Judging from the sound that's popular here, I can see why most would be phobic of that. This track is one of the best mixes of commercial and noncommercial characteristics I've heard in a while. That's always what prodigy has done musically, they're just doing it in a different way now. I'd love to hear some of these productions by people's 13 year old relatives. I'm sure they'd be really similar. :wink:
Last edited by 3*s on Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Is it just me, or are standards falling seriously? I mean, there are people here saying that this track is well produced?

Old prodigy stuff had a pretty good song structure for example. In this song there are some weird "13-year-old-isms" a plenty, especially in the song structure. Just listen to the way the bass changes throughout the song.

As far as the sound of the production, anyone with a decent audio engineer could get similar results. It is very average.

That's why I still claim my lil bro could get results *very* similar to this.

He , unfortunately, does not have liams resources and record deal...

can we hear some.

i'd love to hear some more stuff like this.

Kingston wrote: That's why I still claim my lil bro could get results *very* similar to this.

He , unfortunately, does not have liams resources and record deal...

Well, the point, of course, is that the track is very basic and amateurish.

It reminded me of all the stuff I've heard when people have bought their first MC-303, SP-808, or some other groovebox thingy. And well, my borther is at that point right now.

I don't think he would appreciate me using him as an example here though...

I've just given this a second listen, I was a bit pissed yesterday in readiness for the footie, so maybe I did it an injustice...

nope, still a big steaming pile of shit.

and it's my opinion that counts, none of yours matter :P :lol:

Kingston wrote:Is it just me, or are standards falling seriously? I mean, there are people here saying that this track is well produced?

Old prodigy stuff had a pretty good song structure for example. In this song there are some weird "13-year-old-isms" a plenty, especially in the song structure. Just listen to the way the bass changes throughout the song.
Maybe it's just an age thing. The structure reminds me of a lot of rave songs that were around when the Prodigy were making it big: complete ninety degree turns every few bars, not just rolling repetetive shite. That's the hip-hop influence right there, i think, and if your pretentiousness won't let you enjoy this song then don't take it out on..

Cool! New n-Track Studio beta!

Kingston wrote:Is it just me, or are standards falling seriously? I mean, there are people here saying that this track is well produced?
Our standards are falling....but not in the way you mean IMO. Between here and some other "music tech" forums ive seen people praising some stuff that is "well produced" but just has no spark or inspiration at all. thats why I like the new prodigy track. Thats also why I like certain producers on here like Emerald Tablet and IXOX...their stuff has the spark of inspiration!!

HOMEWORK FOR ALL KVR MEMBERS:

Listen to these two artists for examples of sub-par production but with such a great feel that "great" production would certainly ruin all the fun.

1. Sly and the Family Stone "Family Affair"
2. Department of Eagles "Whitey on the Moon" LP

Sorry if this comes off a little patronizing but Im just tired of hearing what equates to "glossy equals good"...its bullshit

have fun!
Not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good

soulkraka wrote:
Our standards are falling....but not in the way you mean IMO. Between here and some other "music tech" forums ive seen people praising some stuff that is "well produced" but just has no spark or inspiration at all. thats why I like the new prodigy track. Thats also why I like certain producers on here like Emerald Tablet and IXOX...their stuff has the spark of inspiration!!

HOMEWORK FOR ALL KVR MEMBERS:

Listen to these two artists for examples of sub-par production but with such a great feel that "great" production would certainly ruin all the fun.

1. Sly and the Family Stone "Family Affair"
2. Department of Eagles "Whitey on the Moon" LP

Sorry if this comes off a little patronizing but Im just tired of hearing what equates to "glossy equals good"...its bullshit

have fun!
Very well put. Its different and I like being surprised especially when everybody expected something totally different from them. I doubt the whole album is like that, but if it is, then that would be fine with me.
-="I beat the Internet...the end guy is hard"=-

I personally don't think it has anything to do with production quality. Whether its great or not can't cover the fact that it is a shit song.

I really want to hear this track but the link is dead, anyone have another?

But that's exactly what I meant, tried anyway. Song structure, that is what puts me off most in this track, has little to do with glossyness. It's another aspect of 'well produced'. That's why I also brought up the fact that with decent audio engineer "glossy" results like this are just too easy.

And let's face it, if you strip this track off the "gloss factor", there's just not much left anymore, nothing inspiring anyway. Well, to me at least. It's like a DJ show-off track, just without the DJ showing off...

Let's also not forget that we should be comparing this to the standards of Jilted Generation. He made that album mostly with just roland w30's for christs sakes!

Didn't even mention the "memphis bells" track yet, did I? I hope no-one else ever does either...

kurrelraven, preposterous or opionionated as I am, there's still the nagging feeling that I couldn't enjoy these even if I wasn't.
Last edited by Kingston on Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

kvr members would improve it.
i dont like it.

Mr Lizard wrote:I personally don't think it has anything to do with production quality. Whether its great or not can't cover the fact that it is a shit song.
Exactly.

Return to “Music Cafe”