Donkeyt -On the side of the angels - Britpop

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Even though I have lived in (the self-styled) God's Own County (Yarkshur) for many many years, there will always be a part of me that is early 90s 'Manchestoh' :hihi:

EDIT - new version 20/04

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/don ... 200417.mp3
Last edited by donkey tugger on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nice Idea, donkey tugger. I think all elements are there, but the production offers some room for improvement.
I'd say for instance the vocals are not always present in the "front" as the should be.
Actually I cannot give you any hints here, asto how you can improve this because I only do instumentals. But I bet there's plenty of tutorials for mixing especially vocals.
Listening to it a second time, I'm not quite sure whether the strummed guitare fits the intro arppeggio harmony wise...it sounds...ehr...difficult to my - untrained - ears.
Anyway - Please work on that track!

Cheers
] Peter:H [

] Peter:H [ wrote:Nice Idea, donkey tugger. I think all elements are there, but the production offers some room for improvement.
I'd say for instance the vocals are not always present in the "front" as the should be.
Actually I cannot give you any hints here, asto how you can improve this because I only do instumentals. But I bet there's plenty of tutorials for mixing especially vocals.
Listening to it a second time, I'm not quite sure whether the strummed guitare fits the intro arppeggio harmony wise...it sounds...ehr...difficult to my - untrained - ears.
Anyway - Please work on that track!

Cheers
] Peter:H [
Hi Peter,

First off, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

Mixing your own vocals is always a bugger to do, especially if you get a bit carried away as I do when singing sometimes. :lol: I do think you're absolutely right. I've made a few alterations - turned it up (a good start!), eased off on the mid cut so there's a bit more of a forward quality, and also tinkered just a touch with the reverb - just a bit longer. Seems to me to sit a bit nicer now, but as ever I'm probably the worst judge! Usually it takes a few weeks for these things to sink in and I then go back and make a few final tweaks.

On the guitar stuff, I disagree! :hihi: But that's music, very subjective. :D

I need to have another listen to your track, I'll make more comment then, but I will say that (even though I'm not a synthesizer person) it seemed to have a different type of quality to it than the usual 'soundscape' stuff you hear which I liked...and of course the title, which is great!

You definitely have a strong style to your writing.
This one strongly suggests it I think. You quietly bring in the song with what maybe is a bridge, and then hard into the chorus outtro. It's very odd.haha. My brain has some trouble with it, but I don't use it often, so what me worry. I remember 'Overdone' (if that's the correct title?) This structure is mainly the same. It's cool to have acquired a personal 'style'. I think I have one too. The way I subtlety morph sound. Let's hear it for personal style! Hooray!

Oh, and a good song mate.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Cheers Barry.

I may not be the best singer or guitarist in the world but I'll wager you'd always know it was me.. :hihi: Well picked up on the verse/intro thing as it was originally going to be the middle 8, until I wrote a much better one with U2-ish bit instead...

Return to “Music Cafe”