july contest - GOSSIP

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay eaten breakfast... had another cup of tea... I'm ready fo the Last page now...

Mo Verdigast - Metal Hurlant
Great atmosphere noises in here. Though the drums are way too low in volume compared to everthing else. It's a bit disjointed too. But there are some good ideas in here...

Sacha Franck - Farts in Slo Mo
:lol: This is great. Thankfully I'd finished my breakfast before listening to this. So are they real homemade samples? can you fart on demand? :). Great guitars as well.

pHz - Foiled
That riff had to appear in one song this month! Considering there are no guitars, this is really good and definetely metel. I like the synthesizer "guitar like" sound, It's good that you've not pretended it was a guitar and used the sound in it's own right. Good vocal clips as well...

Bonteburg - metel
Great guitars. I love the little bits of feedback, they work really well. The trebles are too high though, especially on the drums, a bit of EQ in mastering would have sorted that out. But the composition, drum programming and guitars are all good. It's too short though...

Griels - Niiice
:lol: great lyrics... I love the way you've managed to move from metel to jazz as the song progressed! Great drums. Though you can tell your more at home with Jazz as the second half of the song sounds so much more natural (And I prefer the second half, I love the instrumentation in there, and that jazz guitar is great). I love the way the Lead guitar is replaced with a sax!

*Phew* I feel like I've heard enough metel to last a lifetime. roll on next month.

Ah bugger.. I've still got to vote, and I've forgotten half of them already!... okay... back to the first page.

Ben

Markleford wrote:
Guitarjeff wrote:Wasn't sure if you were a Toto fan. I've seen Toto absolutely slammed on this forum before. :x
You're probably too new to have heard the unofficial Sonic Reality KvR Koto Toto contest! :D A bit of a dig in that, but all in good fun. ;)
Classic!! I love it! :lol:

griels wrote: Got to somehow make up my shortlist to ten entries that I could actually bear listening to.. Only at 5 so far :lol: The problem is that the tunes that are actually bona fide metel are mostly unlistenable for me :D Except Guitarjeff
Thanks Griels! :)

Big Thanx to:

Glooper and Sleek (nice tips) for the reviews. :D

Warbug, Sleek, Yaguchi 01, Donkey Tugger, and Griels For your votes! :D

Mystahr and Markleford for the HM

And for anyone who's interested....

I just played Both "Rosanna" and "Hold The Line" at a top 40 club gig this evening. :lol:

My ears are ringing and it's 4 A.M. Nighty night my friends! :)

Glooper wrote: Sacha Franck - Farts in Slo Mo
:lol: This is great. Thankfully I'd finished my breakfast before listening to this. So are they real homemade samples? can you fart on demand? :). Great guitars as well.
"Homebrewn" you mean?
Well, yes, somewhat... but of course they're more some sort of "mouth percussion" than anything close to the real deal.
There's a fart creator on the web though, in case you need some more variety (www.createafart.com, seems to be down atm).
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Glooper wrote:pHz - Foiled
That riff had to appear in one song this month! Considering there are no guitars, this is really good and definetely metel. I like the synthesizer "guitar like" sound, It's good that you've not pretended it was a guitar and used the sound in it's own right. Good vocal clips as well...
heehee ... synthesizer ... i dont normally use a lot of samples but all my instrumentation this month is sampled - no synths in there !!!

(ok - all the effects slapped on those samples might well make them sound synthed i guess - heehee)

and the vocals - my first lead vox 'performance' - heehee

slainte :D rob

griels wrote:1. pHz - ironically, by not using stereotypical METEL sounds, has the defiance of METEL, therefore truer to actual spirit than the copyists! :D Wear your crown with pride Rob :P :lol:
thanks mate !!!

as said above though ... ALL there is in there are stereotypical METEL / rock sounds (as samples - real drums / bass guitar / rhythym guitar / lead guitar) and i even tried (bearing in mind my VERY limited musical theory knowledge) to write a bassline and a riff that you might even hear in this genre ...

... its probably the least defiant and most compliant thing ive tried to do !!!

oh well ...

slainte :hihi: rob

Thanks for the review Sleek.

But What does "very jatthy sounding" mean?

pHz wrote:
griels wrote:
... its probably the least defiant and most compliant thing ive tried to do !!!

oh well ...

slainte :hihi: rob

shhhhhhh!your gettin votes :wink:

Glooper wrote:
sickle666 wrote:maybe the contests thems should have abstract conditions like a song made in response to a single word, or emotion..

like:

suicidal

manic

kill your boss

ya know..valid every day stuff that we can all relate to :shock:

i like this idea

More reviews:

Lots of cussing, C&C Music Factory Style Guitars and some great production. Some Metel, too. I just didn't have time to review all, though I did listen to them all. This is continued from an earlier post.

DSP - not bad programming at all here. It all feels a little too quantized, but creative.

Sleek Month - This is pretty cool. Good metel voice. Ending caught me off guard, but what do you expect in 2 minutes.

Patrick9 - More like The Doors than Metel. I like it. Don't love the mix, though. Don't love all the distortion on the voice, either.

ScarKord - Industrial. I like the song. Doesn't move around enough for me.

Sickle666 - Metel without guitar? You definitely have some production chops. There's an undeniable dark vibe, but it just feels like several riffs and nice sections pieced together.

sdunn1110 - Don't care for the political vibe, but production is there. Guitars sound fake but I like them (except for the solo). Decent mix.

Wilkoryte - Hey, sounds a little like Idol. Good guitars. Wish you would have programmed more cymbals.

Ugo - Have to give you props for energy and production. Nice work.

T-Willy - Very metel. Guitars feel a little too bright. Definitely some Ozzy influence here. Mix is lacking, but this will get a vote.

Guitarjeff - Would have liked to hear more guitar and less scrolling through various sounds. Good composition, though. Guitar sounds nice.

Lady J - Production sounds good, guitar is good, singing is good, mix is :( Things are loose, but I think a good mix would make me notice all that less.

Markleford - This is good. Nice production.

BeardedOne - Good riffing. I like this one, though the production isn't my fave from you. Good stretch for Gordo, though. :)

Yaguchi01 - Nice, intense stuff. Sorry, you probably weren't going for "nice." ;)

SF - Ha! Pure silliness. Nice solo. Did you really start a song with the words "Farting is just nice?"

pHz - Cool stuff, Rob. Tweaky and 'smokey.' ;)

griels - HA! What the heck is this? Wish I had the lyrics. Tasty stuff there at the end.

Sleek Month wrote:Markleford-The guitars lack prescence,
I'm a chronic mid-scooper: just the sound I like, but others do take exception to it!
and what's with that 808 kick?
Pathological inability to ahere to genre purity.
Other than that, surprisingly metel.
I figure anything with a fully diminished multi-tracked harmonization at the end counts for something! Then again, my preferred metal listening is somewhere between death and thrash... (with varying amounts of funk and math!)

Thanks for the listen,
- m
Markleford's band, The James Rocket: http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/
Markleford's tracks: http://www.markleford.com/music/
Markleford's free MFX, DXi2, DR-008 modules: http://www.TenCrazy.com/

plunge wrote: Sickle666 - feels like several riffs and nice sections pieced together.
I thought that's what every song was :shock:

heh, I get your point, though. It's easy to be modular in songwriting when you're using a pattern-based host liek Orion, I guess, but I think that's a limitation of my own experience more than any fault of Richard's.

I was always a part of a band..now I AM the band..lotta pressure there for me as all these instruments are hummed & faked for the most part, especially drums :roll:

I must have a burgeoning future if you think I have good production chops; that's my first 'real' as in semi-complete track :hyper:

I really wanna get back into doing something group-wise, even if it's just with one other person. If anyone's intrested, lemme know.

plunge wrote: SF - Ha! Pure silliness. Nice solo. Did you really start a song with the words "Farting is just nice?"
No. Must've been some halluzination. Didn't the fine folks here tell you allready to stay away from drugs?
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Return to “Music Cafe”