A Knight's Revelation (Arrangement for strings)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Soundcloud-link

I am looking for some feedback on my new track. It is orchestral strings only (2 violin ensembles, 2 viola ensembles, 1 cello ensemble).

There are some very nice melodic touches in there, but it's hard for my ears to get past the string sound and the lack of variety...needs different attacks at times....staccato, spiccato etc rather the constant legato. It also needs more 'motion' on those sustained notes...too static.

Harmonies work well under the melodic content...certainly suit the title!

Also I think that this style can often benefit from a more varied textural approach with a fuller orchestra...brass, woodwind, percussion.

ChamMusic wrote:There are some very nice melodic touches in there, but it's hard for my ears to get past the string sound and the lack of variety...needs different attacks at times....staccato, spiccato etc rather the constant legato. It also needs more 'motion' on those sustained notes...too static.

Harmonies work well under the melodic content...certainly suit the title!

Also I think that this style can often benefit from a more varied textural approach with a fuller orchestra...brass, woodwind, percussion.
Reading about the lack of variety - I've stumbled over this great video in a discussion about physical modelling and I was impressed by the guy using a leap motion controller in combination with Serenade 2...it's quite impressive what this guy get's out of this combo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2CMq-zIua4

There's a lot of practising gone into that performance! Very hard to do!

Serenade is a great little Reaktor module...doesn't really sound that much like the real thing when exposed like this, but it is a very pleasant, intriguing sound that is full of energy and movement when controlled properly like this in REAL TIME.

I once tried to automate all the mentioned parameters via MIDI controllers...total pain in the butt...took way too long!

I thought this was very well done, and didn't need any more variation in the samples personally. Sounded very pretty. Good job using those strange parallel intervals for a medieval sound.

I pretty much agree with what nineofkings posted.

:tu:

I had another quick listen...

There is some movement on the sustained notes...in terms of effective volume rise and fall, but little else that I can hear and that makes it all a little flat...real string sustains ebb and flow in many subtle ways and this is quite easy, (if time-consuming) to do in MIDI.

More than anything else though it's the attack of the notes....all very similar / no variation.

Overall...I do like the piece....melodies / harmonies in particular, but I can just hear so many more possibilities in my head! Personally I would want more textural variation + a little more subtle rhythmic drive + definitely more convincing string programming...especially those very high violins which sound quite thin.

Interestingly, I had a listen to other tracks on your Soundcloud and A Peaceful Hymn is definitely more convincing sound-wise. Maybe it's those very high violins that are bugging me in particular then as in APH they are used less openly?

Return to “Music Cafe”