80s synth-pop LIVE from the studio - Axel F vs. Pet shop boys vs. Howard Jones

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A mix of some of my favorite 80s synth-pop sounds goes into my latest track which I test out in live form before "proper" multitracking.
I go through all the parts in detail after the performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIW7OKfTBSk

For a better balanced mix and end result, it's recorded as a 10 track input into the DAW. All the different synths and samplers (and vocals) goes into a pair of Yamaha 01v digital mixers and fed optically as ADAT into the Audient ID14 that is a 10-input preamp and soundcard.

The inputs are broken down into Drums, synths, bass, sax, and vocals. This comes up in the daw and gives me room to mix and balance the different parts in post.

Gear used:

Drums:
Akai S1000 sequenced from the TR-626 drum machine which in turn is controlled from the Roland MC50.
Additional kicks comes from the 626 itself. The hats is from the Yamaha RX11 drum machine. All slaved to the MC50
I play some of the toms live during the performance as well.

Bass:
Roland Alpha Juno 2 sequenced.

Pads: Yamaha DX7 sequenced.

Synths:
Roland JX-8P, D-550 sequenced, Emax. Yamaha TX802 and MiniNova played live.

Sax:
Emax II. My own sample of a sax. Played live.

Sequencer: Roland MC50

Once again a must see for synth and tech afficionados. Do you also play live in public concert settings? Would be interesting to know which equipment configuration you use then.

It's a pleasure to hear the sounds of these machines nowadays..

Greetings :tu:
HM

The 80s vibe goes beyond the music. Aside from the obvious 3.5" disks later on, I spotted a Rubik's cube during the live part. And wearing a wristwatch dates you too :lol:

I thought it was particularly cool of you to take us through the different parts at the end. But how on earth can you play those mini keys?!?!

htcnext2 wrote:Once again a must see for synth and tech afficionados. Do you also play live in public concert settings? Would be interesting to know which equipment configuration you use then.

It's a pleasure to hear the sounds of these machines nowadays..

Greetings :tu:
HM
Thanks a lot!
I don't play much for an audience these days, but I did so extensivly in the past as I worked full time with music.
When I do play live gigs now, I still only do the MIDI setup with the Roland MC50 and a collection of analog and digital synths/samplers/drum machines. I refuse to do my stuff any other way! :)

sjm wrote:The 80s vibe goes beyond the music. Aside from the obvious 3.5" disks later on, I spotted a Rubik's cube during the live part. And wearing a wristwatch dates you too :lol:

I thought it was particularly cool of you to take us through the different parts at the end. But how on earth can you play those mini keys?!?!
I got several cubes though :) Floppies are a part of life when working with lots of old stuff, but wearing a wristwatch dates it to the 80s? Haha... I feel oooold. I'm a big watch buff! :wink:

For this particular track and performance, I couldn't get past playing the MiniNova for some of the parts. For practical reasons. Just have to go for it and hope you don't mess it up! :)

elkanah77 wrote:I got several cubes though :) Floppies are a part of life when working with lots of old stuff, but wearing a wristwatch dates it to the 80s? Haha... I feel oooold. I'm a big watch buff! :wink:
Well hardly anyone under ~35 wears one. So if you wear a wristwatch today, chances are you were around in the 80s... Pretty much no one born after the 80s wears one.

(I know there are a couple of retro hipsters and collectors who buck this overall trend. But it's easy to confirm in any public space.)

sjm wrote:
elkanah77 wrote:I got several cubes though :) Floppies are a part of life when working with lots of old stuff, but wearing a wristwatch dates it to the 80s? Haha... I feel oooold. I'm a big watch buff! :wink:
Well hardly anyone under ~35 wears one. So if you wear a wristwatch today, chances are you were around in the 80s... Pretty much no one born after the 80s wears one.

(I know there are a couple of retro hipsters and collectors who buck this overall trend. But it's easy to confirm in any public space.)
Truth be told, in Norway where I live it's not uncommon to wear a wristwatch even as a younger guy. I know lots of young guys that wears them.
But your right that I'm from the 80s haha.. was a teen then and loved my watches even then. No Rolexes though back then lol.

I'm an 80s baby and this brought me back to watching movies as I was growing up. Nostalgia overload. Amazing job!

Excellent work mate.. Love it..

RandolphCarter wrote:I'm an 80s baby and this brought me back to watching movies as I was growing up. Nostalgia overload. Amazing job!
Nice, thanks! I'm big on nostalgia too :hihi:

phreaque wrote:Excellent work mate.. Love it..
Thanks a lot! :phones:

Enjoying the walk through.

You need to get a Miami Vice Jacket and a pair of Leg Warmers.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I enjoyed your video and the music. Nicely done. Another 80's kid here. :D

Lovely composition, with just the right elements, although very 'soft' overall, more '80s pop' than pure '80s Synth Pop'. But then maybe that's what you wanted to achieve?

The bass line and the sound itself, reminds me of a song by Madonna...just can't recall the title. But it sounds very similar - going by my memory alone. I really like it.

If I may add a tiny bit of constructive criticism, it's that I think there is too much sax through out the track. As nice as this sample sounds, and it sounds nice, present and 'alive', it adds the wrong sort of vibe for me, but that's just a personal preference.

Thanks for sharing the video. :)
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Aloysius wrote:Enjoying the walk through.

You need to get a Miami Vice Jacket and a pair of Leg Warmers.
Thanks! I've got both those items so maybe I'll put them on next time :hihi:

himalaya wrote:I enjoyed your video and the music. Nicely done. Another 80's kid here. :D

Lovely composition, with just the right elements, although very 'soft' overall, more '80s pop' than pure '80s Synth Pop'. But then maybe that's what you wanted to achieve?

The bass line and the sound itself, reminds me of a song by Madonna...just can't recall the title. But it sounds very similar - going by my memory alone. I really like it.

If I may add a tiny bit of constructive criticism, it's that I think there is too much sax through out the track. As nice as this sample sounds, and it sounds nice, present and 'alive', it adds the wrong sort of vibe for me, but that's just a personal preference.

Thanks for sharing the video. :)
Thank you for your respons!

I've always been more soft in approach when making synth tracks so I can see what you mean.

I wonder if the Madonna track you can't remember is "Causing a commotion" ?

I know the Sax took a little more space than I initially had planned. I was very exited about the sample I made, but when I multi-track this song later I will not use as much of it! :hihi:

Return to “Music Cafe”