The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love that synthy Harmonica.
Have you ever tried M1 Legacy? I think you’d like it for some throwback stuff. I’d like to see more covers, like I’d like to see a cover of Billie Jean or Higher Love (the Steve Winwood one).
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Music Bird wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:57 pm I love that synthy Harmonica.
Have you ever tried M1 Legacy? I think you’d like it for some throwback stuff. I’d like to see more covers, like I’d like to see a cover of Billie Jean or Higher Love (the Steve Winwood one).
This is what I mean...not your songs ,but your interpretation of some one else's.

Music Bird wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:57 pm I love that synthy Harmonica.
The harmonica is 8Dio's Misfit Harmonica. I absolutely love it. It can do so many quirky things.

Normally, I don't do covers. This was just a friend's here at the forum. Was trying to get him not to give up on the track. He'd been working on it a long time. I just came at it with a fresh perspective.

Wags...yo crazy nut !
I think your version is absolutely super cool ! :party:

Moreover, you got me getting back to this track....again !

I'm not as fast as you're. So it might take some time to finish this with my snail pace :-)

T really nice thing with your take on this song is that it gave me a new perspective.

Great inspiration. Nice singing too. But I think I'll stick to Alice's voice for my 6575457th version...

Not sure what I think about the harmonica. But I did really liked the drums. Overall I think it has a "dusty" or "rough" sort of feel. But it suits your take on the track very well.

Your previous version was more in my taste. Style wise. But this one is better overall.

sfd wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:23 pm Wags...yo crazy nut !
I think your version is absolutely super cool ! :party:

Moreover, you got me getting back to this track....again !

I'm not as fast as you're. So it might take some time to finish this with my snail pace :-)

T really nice thing with your take on this song is that it gave me a new perspective.

Great inspiration. Nice singing too. But I think I'll stick to Alice's voice for my 6575457th version...

Not sure what I think about the harmonica. But I did really liked the drums. Overall I think it has a "dusty" or "rough" sort of feel. But it suits your take on the track very well.

Your previous version was more in my taste. Style wise. But this one is better overall.
Thanks sfd. Good luck with your next iteration of the song.

Decided to split my time between my production music and my pop writing due to recent developments. For those who care, after 42 years I'll finally be getting an album of my material done by an established group. The release is scheduled for sometime in 2021.

Anyway, first track from my upcoming CD "The Cool Cat In The Wind"

The Cat's Pajamas

When you walk into a room
Ain't nobody who can keep their eyes off you
All those guys over the moon
When you do those crazy things you do

If I could just have one night
Show you what I am really made of
I know I can get it right
When I'm talkin' in the language of love

Cause I'm the cat's pajamas.
And you're my super cool kitten who I want to know
Yeah I'm the cat's pajamas
Let me take you out
Let me take you to the show

When we're both out on the town
Ain't nobody who can keep their eyes off you
All those guys want you around
When you do those crazy things you do

But it's only me who you crave
Cause you know how much I can please you
And you know it's me I'm your fave
Cause you know you love when I tease you

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Chorus

Outro

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... ts-pajamas

I listened to "The Cat's Pajamas." A fun track with a frisky Wags on the prowl. :D

In the beginning, I thought the bass was a little loud but as the other elements arrived it fit in the mix nicely.

If you are writing this with intention of it being covered, note that "the cat's pajamas" is not exactly current slang. Unfortunately, I can't provide the current slang equivalent since I am also superannuated. :clown:

Frantz wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:42 pm I listened to "The Cat's Pajamas." A fun track with a frisky Wags on the prowl. :D

In the beginning, I thought the bass was a little loud but as the other elements arrived it fit in the mix nicely.

If you are writing this with intention of it being covered, note that "the cat's pajamas" is not exactly current slang. Unfortunately, I can't provide the current slang equivalent since I am also superannuated. :clown:
Frantz, actually this whole CD is going to be a throwback to the 20s, 30s and 40s. It's all going to be ancient slang and lots of brass and woodwinds. Something I've wanted to do for a long time just for me personally, with the understanding that it won't even be close to being "commercial" by today's standards. Not that any of my stuff is anyway.

On a separate note, heard from the group leader who's going to be doing doing my songs. They are now going to be doing a double album of all my material. Recording will begin in January 2020. So 42 years of waiting has finally come to an end. I don't even care if the album's not successful. Just getting it done is enough for me.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:05 pm Frantz, actually this whole CD is going to be a throwback to the 20s, 30s and 40s. It's all going to be ancient slang and lots of brass and woodwinds.
A cool concept daddy-o. 8)

Nice jazzy song. It reminds me of Duke Ellington’s big band recordings from the 20’s, so you aren’t that far off, especially with the realistic horns. Also reminds me of the artist Taco (the guy from the 80’s that covered Puttin’ On The Ritz).
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Music Bird wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:32 pm Nice jazzy song. It reminds me of Duke Ellington’s big band recordings from the 20’s, so you aren’t that far off, especially with the realistic horns. Also reminds me of the artist Taco (the guy from the 80’s that covered Puttin’ On The Ritz).
Taco. Boy does THAT bring back memories. :lol:

Anyway, thanks for the listen and the feedback. Much appreciated.

2nd track from my upcoming CD "The Cool Cat In The Wind"

Abyssinia

So you think you can just toy with my affections
Like a cat with a ball goin' off in all directions
Well I don't think so gal
I ain't gonna be your pal

Abyssinia
Abyssinia

All these years we've been together ain't got no commitment
Our relationship's a joke and our future is malignant
Well I guess that you can tell
I've had it with this hell

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Well it's time for me to scat go and find another lover
If you see me down the street better go and run for cover
Don't mean to hem and haw
But this is the last straw

Repeat Chorus

Outro

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/abyssinia

I listened to "Abyssinia." Although I haven't listened to all of your material, I think this is my favorite of your songs. I love the melody and the instrumental arrangement. :love:

The lyrics are adequate but feel a little rushed. I am guessing Abyssinia may be related to the cat theme as it is one letter away from the breed Abyssinian. There is also one line about a cat but this wasn't developed further.

The balance of the mix seems a bit off. Vocals a bit low. Bass slightly loud. Some instruments seem too dry.

This is a gem that I think could be a classic if more time was spent on the lyrics and production. Still an amazing bit of songwriting. :tu:

Cool for when The Office was The Office.

Frantz wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:18 am I listened to "Abyssinia." Although I haven't listened to all of your material, I think this is my favorite of your songs. I love the melody and the instrumental arrangement. :love:

The lyrics are adequate but feel a little rushed. I am guessing Abyssinia may be related to the cat theme as it is one letter away from the breed Abyssinian. There is also one line about a cat but this wasn't developed further.

The balance of the mix seems a bit off. Vocals a bit low. Bass slightly loud. Some instruments seem too dry.

This is a gem that I think could be a classic if more time was spent on the lyrics and production. Still an amazing bit of songwriting. :tu:
Abyssinia is actually 20s slang for "I'll Be Seeing You" if you say it real fast.

Interesting about your comments on the production. I actually worked very hard on this to get it to sound the way I wanted. So I guess taste comes in to play quite a bit here.

That's the wonderful thing about all this. Depending on your perspective, there is or isn't such a thing as a perfect mix.

Listen to Dan Fogelberg's "Netherlands." He fought with the producer over this whole album. He wanted the vocals low in the mix because he wanted the orchestration to stand out.

While many would say this was a horrible mix, I couldn't imagine hearing it any other way.

Return to “Music Cafe”