The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by goldenanalog on Wed May 15, 2019 5:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

thejonsolo wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:36 pm Ok Wags you know me...easy going, hate to be critical, positive energy etc.

I have enjoyed this project. 1) Glad to hear you singing your stuff, 2) 80's indie rock (with a clear distinction that your heart is still in the 60's...like many 80's artists) that works well, 3) not very "The Police" but I get it as a tribute, and 4) Keep it up. I have no idea how you put out so much music.

The lyrics are good, albeit a bit naive, but there is nothing wrong with that. It makes me want to do a vocal album again. I have been buried in my orchestral stuff for the last few years and this is a good reminder that "songs" are good to do as well.

Some of the songs sound distorted in places. Girl Under Umbrella really distorts bad in places. That is my criticism for your project. Double check the mastering...I think that is where it is happening. Maybe you are pushing a bit hot...because it feels like digital distortion in places.
Thanks for the feedback Jon. As for the distortion, I don't know what you're hearing. I'm not getting any and nobody else has reported any. I am very careful with my mixes, making sure the SPAN is picture perfect. Nothing clips and I didn't even use any distortion on any of the tracks.

Sorry, can't fix what I can't hear.

6th track from my upcoming tribute CD "Still Out Of Sync"

Monyatta

Not a little girl anymore
Seen the world through stained glass doors

Monyatta, Monyatta
Where you going to
Monyatta, Monyatta
Why you look so blue
Monyatta, Monyatta
Feel for you

Ran away from home years ago
Seen the world through friend and foe

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Time to come back home to me now
Live your life with me...show you how

Monyatta, Monyatta
Where you going to
Monyatta, Monyatta
Why you look so blue
Monyatta, Monyatta
I love you

Monyatta, Monyatta
Monyatta, Monyatta

Fade Out

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/monyatta

7th track from my upcoming tribute CD "Still Out Of Sync"

Lyrics:

Synchronous

Two plus two is four
That's what they tell me
Knocking at my door
They try to sell me

Sign post up ahead
I cannot read it
Wait until I'm dead
Before you heed it

I don't understand
Science they teach me
Living in this land
They try to reach me

Read and watch the tube
I cannot do it
Don't mean to be rude
But you can screw it

One and one is two
That's what they tell me
Yeah hey how bout you
You gonna sell me

It's all just a game
We have to play it
Yeah it's all the same
Don't make me say it

It's simply synchronous

Repeat

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/synchronous

wagtunes wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:44 pm 7th track from my upcoming tribute CD "Still Out Of Sync"

Lyrics:

Synchronous

Two plus two is four
That's what they tell me
Knocking at my door
They try to sell me

Sign post up ahead
I cannot read it
Wait until I'm dead
Before you heed it

I don't understand
Science they teach me
Living in this land
They try to reach me

Read and watch the tube
I cannot do it
Don't mean to be rude
But you can screw it

One and one is two
That's what they tell me
Yeah hey how bout you
You gonna sell me

It's all just a game
We have to play it
Yeah it's all the same
Don't make me say it

It's simply synchronous

Repeat

I like that one - got more of a Talking Heads or even Happy Mondays feel to it, a bit oddly funkeh in its way, and a bit different in the structure and time signature. Your vocals work well with this - good sense of urgency. And of course I always like good bit of tremelo action... :love:

donkey tugger wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:13 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:44 pm 7th track from my upcoming tribute CD "Still Out Of Sync"

Lyrics:

Synchronous

Two plus two is four
That's what they tell me
Knocking at my door
They try to sell me

Sign post up ahead
I cannot read it
Wait until I'm dead
Before you heed it

I don't understand
Science they teach me
Living in this land
They try to reach me

Read and watch the tube
I cannot do it
Don't mean to be rude
But you can screw it

One and one is two
That's what they tell me
Yeah hey how bout you
You gonna sell me

It's all just a game
We have to play it
Yeah it's all the same
Don't make me say it

It's simply synchronous

Repeat

I like that one - got more of a Talking Heads or even Happy Mondays feel to it, a bit oddly funkeh in its way, and a bit different in the structure and time signature. Your vocals work well with this - good sense of urgency. And of course I always like good bit of tremelo action... :love:
This was tough for me to do as odd time sigs give me trouble. Mix of 7/4 and 5/4 in this one. It does stray a bit from the theme (running out of ideas) so the CD itself may end up taking some strange turns. We'll see.

Thanks for the listen and the feedback.

"The Clock On The Wall (Avanna On Lead Vocal)" -- Beautiful song, very relaxing and emotive. The female vocals are well laid and perfectly fit and ride the melody. The lyrics are solid too, ditto on the instruments, the strings really drive the emotion and the piano is perfect, definitely nice tones. If this was my tune I wouldn't change anything about it for its genre, I could see remixing this into a progressive or tropical house track. ;) Cheers! Nice 1.
DJ and Music Producer
https://soundcloud.com/remiblaze
http://www.remiblaze.com
T: iremiblaze | F: iremiblaze | Insta: iremiblaze | YT: remiblaze

remiblaze wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:17 pm "The Clock On The Wall (Avanna On Lead Vocal)" -- Beautiful song, very relaxing and emotive. The female vocals are well laid and perfectly fit and ride the melody. The lyrics are solid too, ditto on the instruments, the strings really drive the emotion and the piano is perfect, definitely nice tones. If this was my tune I wouldn't change anything about it for its genre, I could see remixing this into a progressive or tropical house track. ;) Cheers! Nice 1.
Thanks for the listen and the feedback. Appreciate it.

I was promised cats crying in the night; I want my money back. I like the way your vox sound; I think they could be a little higher in the mix, really, though that might mostly be down to their whispered, intimate sound. I did hear some distortion in Girl Under Umbrella, which someone already mentioned, I think.

Any 'criticism' I could offer is probably more about preference and taste; e.g., I'd dig these even more if the drums were going for more authentic-sounding, which is obviously a choice. Of the last I think four you posted, I liked the Girls best, especially Girl Under Umbrella, I loved the writing on that, reminded me a little of The Clientele. Thanks for posting.

troywestfield wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:07 pm I was promised cats crying in the night; I want my money back. I like the way your vox sound; I think they could be a little higher in the mix, really, though that might mostly be down to their whispered, intimate sound. I did hear some distortion in Girl Under Umbrella, which someone already mentioned, I think.

Any 'criticism' I could offer is probably more about preference and taste; e.g., I'd dig these even more if the drums were going for more authentic-sounding, which is obviously a choice. Of the last I think four you posted, I liked the Girls best, especially Girl Under Umbrella, I loved the writing on that, reminded me a little of The Clientele. Thanks for posting.
Thanks for the listen and the feedback. Much appreciated.

Sorry about the lack of cats crying in the night.

I like Monyata :tu: . Synthronous is kind of quirky.... I was looking for the "chorus" but it seems to have none.
Are these covers? I never heard either of them before.

Bansaw wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:32 pm I like Monyata :tu: . Synthronous is kind of quirky.... I was looking for the "chorus" but it seems to have none.
Are these covers? I never heard either of them before.
They are original tunes in the style of The Police. Or at least my attempt at The Police.

Thanks for the listen and the feedback.

wagtunes,
Now reviewing "Magnetic": cool intro synth, what is that (reminds me a bit of Depeche Mode)? Vocaloid vocals work well on this. Very good melodies and lyrics! Somehow one of the synths with lots of echo delay seems out of sync with the song briefly; maybe because of the timing of the delay, maybe just the timing of the notes (happens twice I think)? With MIDI, that should be easy to fix. Otherwise, I like all of the synths; and a very good song! Drums are appropriate/good. :)

Let me know if you did not get my review with your "Til Tuesday" song, which I reviewed first. I thought I saw it post, but now I do not see my review.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

aaron aardvark wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:53 pm wagtunes,
Now reviewing "Magnetic": cool intro synth, what is that (reminds me a bit of Depeche Mode)? Vocaloid vocals work well on this. Very good melodies and lyrics! Somehow one of the synths with lots of echo delay seems out of sync with the song briefly; maybe because of the timing of the delay, maybe just the timing of the notes (happens twice I think)? With MIDI, that should be easy to fix. Otherwise, I like all of the synths; and a very good song! Drums are appropriate/good. :)

Let me know if you did not get my review with your "Til Tuesday" song, which I reviewed first. I thought I saw it post, but now I do not see my review.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll check that delay.

Til Tuesday didn't post for whatever reason.

8th track from my upcoming tribute CD "Still Out Of Sync"

The Cat's Out Of The Bag

You can't hide your love from me
Like others do
You can't hide your love from me
So better get a clue

It's all out in the open
It's there for all to see
It's shining like a big bright light
Shining there for me

The cat's out of the bag
He's walking around on all fours