Modular noodle : ONESandONE

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

More of a kickabout of the modules than anything, but what the hell, might as well post something in the Cafe this decade....

A Plague Bearer (through a Z5000), two TG ONEs, and regular ONE, factory sounds, triggered off a Knit Rider. Some additional modulation from a bog-standard Doepfer LFO, a Dual Cyclotron and the Turing Machine set I finally finished building recently, and me. Accidental single fragment of summat classical from a Radio Thing triggered by mistake.
One pass, recorded as is.

https://soundcloud.com/wrabbyt_tests/onesandone-01
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

as i said elsewhere, totally hypnotic. awesome piece!

cheers! without your feedback i dont think I would have bothered deciding to post it here in the first place.

bookmarked ...
i'll have a listen tonight ...

I'm stuck at works on a Saturday. This helped pass the time, nicely. I loved the diversity of sounds throughout. Kinda quiet though.
I also enjoyed the subtle rhythmic variations. All the sequencing from Knit Rider?

justin3am wrote:I'm stuck at works on a Saturday. This helped pass the time, nicely. I loved the diversity of sounds throughout. Kinda quiet though.
I also enjoyed the subtle rhythmic variations. All the sequencing from Knit Rider?
The triggering is from the KR, but it was used very naively, just 1-bar patterns straight off the 16-step grid; just the most immediate front-panel functionality. The little sequenced pitched fragments are the Turing Machine Voltages on one TG ONE.
(The LFO was set to a squarewave to alternate between a couple of spaced pitches on the other. The Cyclotron did some subtler stuff on the ONE.)

A lot of the movement, though, is actually down to the changing of the sample selection, and tweaking the KR steps as it played. The ONEs switch sample fast enough to be changed glitch-free per trigger if need be.

One of the better modular Performances outthere. Makes hungry of modular hardware.

To bad, without video. YouTube needs more good stuff like yours

Mattt12345 wrote:One of the better modular Performances outthere. Makes hungry of modular hardware.

To bad, without video. YouTube needs more good stuff like yours
Wow, cheers. I guarantee though that it would be very far from being interesting in video form, not least for the aesthetic/photogenic shortfall, and I am not a person comfortable in front of any kind of lens!

really cool WR, thanx for posting it :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

whyterabbyt wrote:More of a kickabout of the modules than anything, but what the hell, might as well post something in the Cafe this decade....

A Plague Bearer (through a Z5000), two TG ONEs, and regular ONE, factory sounds, triggered off a Knit Rider. Some additional modulation from a bog-standard Doepfer LFO, a Dual Cyclotron and the Turing Machine set I finally finished building recently, and me. Accidental single fragment of summat classical from a Radio Thing triggered by mistake.
One pass, recorded as is.

https://soundcloud.com/wrabbyt_tests/onesandone-01
Well, that was different. I could have sworn I heard one sound that sounded like a burp and another one that sounded like a door creaking. That one really impressed me.

Would love to see a photo of your setup if you've got one.

Only criticism is that it was way too soft. I had to turn the volume up almost all the way and that was with headphones blasting in my ears. Otherwise, very cool. Can imagine it as a soundtrack for a very quirky sci fi.

wagtunes wrote:Well, that was different. I could have sworn I heard one sound that sounded like a burp and another one that sounded like a door creaking. That one really impressed me.
Bear in mind that the three main modules I was using are samplers, and i was just working with the samples that came with them. One of the things about it was changing the samples on the fly, and hoping that whatever samples that got played 'worked'.

So whatever those sounds were, they might indeed have been a burp and a door creaking. :lol:
Ive not got anything current, Im afraid, and I spent yesterday taking the modular totally apart and completely rearranging stuff, something I decided to do because Im an idiot who underestimate how much work that actually would be. So the studio is back to its most frequent state, ie a collection of piles of uncabled bits and piles of cables. I'll try and remember once its closer to a state of sanity.
Only criticism is that it was way too soft. I had to turn the volume up almost all the way and that was with headphones blasting in my ears. Otherwise, very cool. Can imagine it as a soundtrack for a very quirky sci fi.
The recording is 'as is,' so I hadnt realised it was quiet.

whyterabbyt wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Well, that was different. I could have sworn I heard one sound that sounded like a burp and another one that sounded like a door creaking. That one really impressed me.
Bear in mind that the three main modules I was using are samplers, and i was just working with the samples that came with them. One of the things about it was changing the samples on the fly, and hoping that whatever samples that got played 'worked'.

So whatever those sounds were, they might indeed have been a burp and a door creaking. :lol:
Ive not got anything current, Im afraid, and I spent yesterday taking the modular totally apart and completely rearranging stuff, something I decided to do because Im an idiot who underestimate how much work that actually would be. So the studio is back to its most frequent state, ie a collection of piles of uncabled bits and piles of cables. I'll try and remember once its closer to a state of sanity.
The recording is 'as is,' so I hadnt realised it was quiet.
Curious, what was the recording made with? Tape deck?

wagtunes wrote:Curious, what was the recording made with? Tape deck?
No, just straight into the soundcard, and recorded direct to a .wav file in Bidule.

whyterabbyt wrote:
No, just straight into the soundcard, and recorded direct to a .wav file in Bidule.
Ah, so similar to if I were to plug my mic into my Steinberg UR28M and record vocals with my DAW to wav?

wagtunes wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
Ah, so similar to if I were to plug my mic into my Steinberg UR28M and record vocals with my DAW to wav?
Basically, yeah; just the same as plugging in any other instrument.

Return to “Music Cafe”