Reunion - back to the 80s

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

This is my first track in about two years; I've been taking a break.

Anyway, I've always been accused of being unable to break away from my 80s roots, so this time I decided to stop struggling and make something that I could have done when I started out, but couldn't afford to.

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-b-1/reunion

D.

this sounds like a video game adventure soundtrack right out of the 80s, mission accomplished haha. i like the synths that come in towards hte middle, at first the track sounded very midi and cheap. i dont really like the triple clap that plays a bunch of times, it sounds a little weird to me, but overall the track is nice, definitely improves in quality in its second half. keep it up man!

id appreciate it if you could return some feedback here
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=503647

Thanks for listening. Other people have also told me it sounds like a game soundtrack :)

I rather like the clap.

I am thinking of doing a longer a more developed arrangement of the track at some point.

D.

Definitely '80s. Not only the sounds employed, but also the arrangement seems to be very authentic. I could imagine this being used as an accompaniment to an '80s factory automation documentary on the BBC.

Good work :)

I don't normally comment on music that's "not my thing", but I found this pleasant and exactly as described. Sometimes following our impulses musically is the way to go. I'm not a fan of sampled claps. I really liked the plucked lead in the first quarter of the song. Harp? Physically modeled string?

A live element might be great to add here, like a vocalist and lyrics. It might help to pull the song out of its game soundtrack feel (which I assume is due to the song having a 90s General MIDI quality to it?).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Thanks for replying...

One of my inspirations for creating this track was a discussion over on another forum about use of software or original hardware instruments for recreating the 80s sound.

Here's a list of the instruments I used, but would anyone care to guess whether I used the actual hardware or software emulations?

Drums: Yamaha RX7
Bass: Roland D-50
Vox pad: Roland JV-1080
Arp: Roland JX-8P
Lead: Yamaha DX7
Brass: Roland Juno 106

D.

i wouldn't even hazard a guess at that :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Music Cafe”