May Contest: Gossip - Everything’s fine!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for the info, there is a download link on dropbox, in the top left;
directdownload.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

What happened to your 11, 12, 13th place votes skipscada?

FlyingNoodle wrote:What happened to your 11, 12, 13th place votes skipscada?
I think the rules are you vote for your top 10. At least that's what it said last month. This month there were no instructions at all. Just "You know what to do." I think for newcomers posting the rules each month should be required. Had I just started this month I would have had no idea what to do.

Yup, I know what to do. It's top 10 only.

I won't be able to comment this week since I'm at Primavera Sound. On a general note, I can say that I've put a lot of emphasis on being on target theme-wise, gauging the level of chilled-outness the tracks produced in me. Also small minuses for those who have help from professionals, be it songwriters or vocalists.

Man I just got half way through this long post and the site refreshed on me for no reason and deleted it. Here we go typing it again in Notepad. Amazing. :dog:
Tropical Storm has me sitting inside with plenty of time to type so here goes my voting list with some feedback. After two months of many last place votes I decided to be a little more critical in my voting and feedback. I'd love to hear some constructive criticism on my submission from you all as well. Feedback is always welcome good or bad. Having an audience and knowing my music was listened to is very rewarding and why I do it.
1 Donkey tugger 30
2 Jonny Quest 26
3 Skipscada 22
4 Boone777 22
5 Beanpole 19
6 Mister Natural 18
7 Wagtunes 17
8 Laguna Rising 15
9 Tj Shredder 13
10 Marsu 12
11 Farlukar 10
12 Per99 10
13 FlyingNoodle 10
As I listened to the songs I wrote down scores in Production, Musicianship, and Creativity. Nothing personal, just what I came up with and my notes in no order. Gonna be long but I enjoy this part as much as submitting I think...

--Per99: Prod 2, Mus 2, Creat 6 = 10
The song feels really forced. The flow just isn't there with the vocal delivery. I commend you for putting it down though. High creativity for coming with vocals and a message. Some drum fills in there to let you know there's a drummer but he doesn't really do much or have a beat until 3 minutes in. The toms aren't doing it for me. Compared to many of the other submissions it just doesn't sound professional.

--Marsu: Prod 3, Mus 5, Creat 4 = 12
I like the flow. The drums and bass are nice but overly quantized and perfect. Good groove though. Nice keyboard leads going on. This just feels overly simplistic. Two lead keyboards that take turns switching between lead and rythm is great, but I felt the rythm chords and music could have been layered and thicker.

--TJ: Prod 2, Mus 4, Creat 7 = 13
Nice intro that painfully goes on to long. What subliminal messages did I just hear? By 3:00 I literally had to submit to the fact that I wasn't getting out of the reso sound. 3:40 there are some high tones that get introduced but 4:50 is cool. More of those. I like the direction here but the reso pads could have changed more to keep it interesting. Really dark sound left me more disturbed and lost than chill. Maybe that was the intent.

--Farlukar: Prod 4, Mus 2, Creat 4 = 10
The keyboard delay sounds are really tiny for the lead instrument all the way through most of the song. I liked the idea of the drop bass beat but that pad could have had a few others come in and kill that part. I don't think simple is better here and to me really needs more production to be a soundscape.

--Skipscada: Prod 6, Mus 8, Creat 8 = 22
Very 60's cool vibe. Here SIMPLE WORKS! Needs a hi-hat to that drum beat IMO. Flanger! Haven't heard that in a while. Love the vocals but the acoustic guitar recording could benefit from some compression for tone. Mix needs mixing. Stereo acoustic double track recording for the choruses for width maybe? Great song!

--Flying Needle: Wow on those Female Vocals! I don't think she would approve of that beat or that snare. Those keyboards are not anything I've heard on the radio lately and a little disappointing for a Pop Diva Star. One part of the keys did hook me though.

--Mister Natural: Prod 5, Mus 5, Creat 8 = 18
There's some good sound going on here. Seems a little simple, like each part could use a counter part to fill in the sound. More variations and layers. 3:00 sounds great. I'm really not feeling the drums. Vocals sound good just need more production IMO.

--BeanPole: Prod 7, Mus 7, Creat 5 = 19
Here is another example of a simple chord verse structure. Guitar picking sounds great. Chorus is really solid. Not sure about the completely washed out chorus but it was popular in the 80's along with those keyboard sounds. With all of the Virtual Synths out there I'm not sure why so many are still choosing standard midi sounds. To each his/her own though.

--Laguna Rising: Prod 4, Mus 7, Creat 4 = 15
Funky intro. Great until :30. The drum changes are to drastic, not on beat, badly sequenced. No real structure, just flowing which is fun to do. Seems like you came back and tried to make something out of it after though and didn't have a plan from the start.

--Boone: Prod 7, Mus 6, Creat 9 = 22
I like the sub/kick and subtle beat. More variation with that snare would have been nice, phlams and rolls. There's a roll but maybe more of it. Hat is really low. Not much going on in the 8k sound for the drums...shaker, tam, hi-hat territory. I like the vocal tracks but she could have sat in a washed verb a little better IMO.

--Wagtunes: Prod 6, Mus 6, Creat 5 = 17
I like that sax part and sound! When that arp comes in is sexy. Bass seems really basic and short for the vibe. Did you choose a slap bass? Fretless sound maybe. Seems like it could have flowed better if it had more movement through the chords rather than whole notes. Same with the piano. Transitions are just emply with a drum fill. The noise track in the beginning (not sure what it is) is loud and distracting. I liked this one though.

--Johnny Quest: Prod 8, Mus 10, Creat 8 = 26
Beat and Kick/Sub are solid. Great verbs and space effects. I like that you used the full frequency specturm in your drums. Mix is great!

--Donkey: This guy just doesn't disappoint. 10's all across the board = 30
Chorus is Hook! Very organic on those drums. Nice creativity in making the sounds. The only thing missing which I mentioned before is a low end. Could have been a lower drum, I heard something that sounded like a tom. Here's the deal. If your going to bring in a symphony then why wouldn't you bring the bass and percussion team in those parts? I don't know. The mandolin worked out great. This one killed it this month in my opinion.

Nice work all. Keep rocking.

oh wow, thanks for the detailed reviews. Lots of work but very helpful for the writers! Because I'm new to kvr forums, is there a special thread or forum where songs are reviewed?

Yeah thanks for the feedback, if anyone else has feedback would appreciate it thanks

I also appreciate comments. A different point of view from one's own is always valuable. I usually try to leave comments, and find it improves my abilities as a listener, so it's win-win. No time this month, though.

skipscada wrote:I also appreciate comments. A different point of view from one's own is always valuable. I usually try to leave comments, and find it improves my abilities as a listener, so it's win-win. No time this month, though.
Well, after the recent fiasco in another thread in this sub forum, I will no longer be leaving comments on anyone's music unless I have nothing but wonderful, glowing things to say.

It's safer that way.

wagtunes wrote:
skipscada wrote:I also appreciate comments. A different point of view from one's own is always valuable. I usually try to leave comments, and find it improves my abilities as a listener, so it's win-win. No time this month, though.
Well, after the recent fiasco in another thread in this sub forum, I will no longer be leaving comments on anyone's music unless I have nothing but wonderful, glowing things to say.

It's safer that way.
I remember discussions about "negative" comments some time ago in the contest. I think it ended with the "offended" parties withdrawing from future contests after realising they weren't into the competitive side of it and realised they had problems taking criticism (be it helpful or otherwise). Bottom line: almost everyone will be grateful for honest comments made without malice. But it can be hard to find the right tone without ending up saying nothing at all. I have considered leaving comically harsh critiscism ("hatchet jobs"), but it's probably a bad idea since not eeryone has the same sense of humour.

skipscada wrote: But it can be hard to find the right tone without ending up saying nothing at all.
I think the tone of comments is the key. You too often read comments to the effect of, "....this is shit/sounds crap", and it's put over as some kind of statement of fact, when all it is is another opinion. Much better to give pointers for improvement if you can, and if it's really not your kind of thing, then say that, not that something lacks all merit. I'm no big fan of the sinthesisers in general, but 'll say that, and can still recognise when something's been put together well, with a lot of thought and effort, and if it sounds half-baked, I'll try to explain why I think that.

wagtunes wrote:Well, after the recent fiasco in another thread in this sub forum, I will no longer be leaving comments on anyone's music unless I have nothing but wonderful, glowing things to say.

It's safer that way.
With respect the GDPR, I grant you permission to store my username to opt-out of your moderation policy please.... :hihi:

skipscada wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

It's safer that way.
I remember discussions about "negative" comments some time ago in the contest. I think it ended with the "offended" parties withdrawing from future contests after realising they weren't into the competitive side of it and realised they had problems taking criticism (be it helpful or otherwise). Bottom line: almost everyone will be grateful for honest comments made without malice. But it can be hard to find the right tone without ending up saying nothing at all. I have considered leaving comically harsh critiscism ("hatchet jobs"), but it's probably a bad idea since not eeryone has the same sense of humour.
Well, I have been told everything from "You have no talent" to "Please dear God, don't make another piece of music" so nothing anybody says to me can bother me anymore. In fact, that's why I started posting my music regularly in the Music Cafe because I've reached that "don't give a crap" stage in my life where anything positive is gravy and the rest just doesn't matter. Not that I'm not open to improvement (and I think I have the last couple of years) but comments like "My dying cat sounds better" aren't helpful and I can't be bothered by them anymore. One guy recently told me that my track sounded boxy because there was too much mid. That I can use. He even showed me how to carve it out better. Has made a big difference in my recent tracks. But "I'd rather stick a hot poker in my eye than listen to your crap", eh, whatever,

Not everyone loved The Beatles.

Anyway, it's safer just to say nothing if I can't say anything positive.

FlyingNoodle wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Well, after the recent fiasco in another thread in this sub forum, I will no longer be leaving comments on anyone's music unless I have nothing but wonderful, glowing things to say.

It's safer that way.
With respect the GDPR, I grant you permission to store my username to opt-out of your moderation policy please.... :hihi:
I'm not even sure I know what that means. LOL

wagtunes wrote:
FlyingNoodle wrote:

It's safer that way.
I'm not even sure I know what that means. LOL
Lol, I mean don't avoid feeding back only to say good things because it's safer that way. Maybe I speak for myself, but I've come here to KVR to participate and grow. In that sense I respect any and all feedback, and for that matter help others understand how I do things too, if you're curious how I got something to sound like that or what ever, don't be afraid to ask.

Return to “Music Cafe”