Narcissus - Shiny Bedroom Pop

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The gf and I knocked out a 3-track EP in 3 days. This is track one. It's some late-90s, early 2000s guitar pop, somewhere between Weezer and Kelly Clarkson: https://soundcloud.com/merrymerrysounds/narcissus

All instruments and vocals were recorded through my little old Fast Track except the drums, which are LinnDrum samples. Recorded, mixed and mastered in REAPER as always.

As soon as I saw Weezer I had to listen. Yep, that's Weezer all right.

Well done. Loved it.

this is very good , which really , i have come to expect from you ...
solid writing and arrangement ... good chops ...
your production standards are admirable ...

:clap: Very nice and very catchy!
Good song and a well crafted, transparent mix. I also like the instrumental part.
Thanks for sharing :tu:
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

I would posit that another distorted rhythm guitar or two would help really get that Weezer sound. To my ears, the distorted guitar is lacking that big creamy fatness that Weezer always had that comes from multiple guitar parts.

Still like it of course.

Great tune. Vox and guitars sound good. Amazing for a 3 day effort. Still I wish it had some more interesting sounds or surprises.

I am missing key words in the lyrics. Would you consider posting the lyrics on Soundcloud or making the vox louder?

Excellent stuff. As Steve said above, if you're really wanting to go for that Weezer sound then some more high-gain geetars would be the order of the day. I like it as it is though without them...must be getting old... :o

wagtunes wrote:As soon as I saw Weezer I had to listen. Yep, that's Weezer all right.

Well done. Loved it.
Thanks! It was kind of an accidental similarity but once I heard it I couldn't un-hear it.

Frantz wrote:Great tune. Vox and guitars sound good. Amazing for a 3 day effort. Still I wish it had some more interesting sounds or surprises.

I am missing key words in the lyrics. Would you consider posting the lyrics on Soundcloud or making the vox louder?
Thanks! Here are the lyrics:
Lately I've been thinking of your gaze when I'm alone
On sunny afternoons when skies are blue and I'm walking home
Lately late at night I think of you and lie awake
Every time I catch the moon reflected on the bay

[Chorus]
'Cause everywhere I look I'm missing your face
Everything reflects Narcissus always
I try to shut it out, I struggle in vain
Everything's about Narcissus I can't get away

I'm always alone but I am never not with you
No one understands the harsh demands you hold me to
Dying to get a view of deepest blues and stormy grays
Trying to meet your eyes I find I'm drowning in your gaze

[Chorus] x2

[Chorus] x2

EP is out now: https://merrymerry.bandcamp.com/releases

Thanks. :tu:

Great songwriting. The verse and chorus are a great "natural" fit and the song flows very well. I wasn't really familiar with Weezer, but I thought this had a similar feel to some of the tracks on the first Rosenbergs album. Catchy stuff.

Good work :)

Sounds like commercial potential here!

Some of the lyrics don’t immediately grab for a pop tune but they’re interesting. Something like ABBA’s Cassandra?

Return to “Music Cafe”