July Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
wagtunes
KVRAF
14607 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:34 pm

Tbase2000 wrote:Donkey: Intro sound is awesome. Falling guitar picking super clean and nice tone. Powerful vocal. Drum beat works. I really like the realistic string bass. The build-up is thick towards the end with well chosen layers and tones. Rocked another one.

Laguna Rising: Nice dark intro that morphs into a punk type sound. You lost me a little later when you went for the guitar solos but it's hard to knock someone for ripping off a solo. Keyboard leads are solid.

Michael Triple 7's: The cover artwork is beautiful. Lots of chord work. I honestly don't get the master plan on the structure but there's movement. The keyboards help with the wandering experience to mark interesting points of interest...like, oh...look over there at that neat something in the cave.

Johnny Q: Nice beats. Not sure where we went around 1:30. Cool sound though. I need those angel voices in my studio. There's some fun synths in there as well.

Beenpole: Drum machine. -1 I like the verses better as they progress in the song with the sweeps. Theres some good changes in there and the variation of instruments helps keep it fun.

Mr Natural: Nice work with the creative patches and sounds to build your underwater landscape. Good easy listen. Moist.

Hellfog: There's some timing issues in here that I couldn't live with. Are those French horns in there? If so, interesting choice. I like the layers and the environment that comes out of it. Could be tighter.

Wagtunes: I wasn't feeling this one. Sorry
You know, I don't mind so much that you didn't like the track but everybody else gets an actual critique with some kind of comment on music and production and I get "Not feeling it?"

Yeah, that's real helpful.

:x

Tbase2000
KVRist
234 posts since 23 Oct, 2017

Re: July Contest: Gossip

Post Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:45 am

I ran into a polka song a couple months back too. Nothing personal...just out of my comfort zone. Speechless.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:53 am

Tbase2000 wrote:I ran into a polka song a couple months back too. Nothing personal...just out of my comfort zone. Speechless.
Well then don't ever become a music critique. If you can't, as a musician, technically evaluate a piece of music even to a minute degree, then IMO, that's pretty sad. I mean for crying out loud, you could play me any kind of music ever written and I can say something about it other than "Not feeling it." Even if it's just, "I didn't like the melody" or "I thought it was silly" or "It was too simple". Production wise you can't say "It was too muddy" or "It was too loud" or "It had a boxy sound" or "The stereo field wasn't wide enough" or "Some of the instruments were too loud/soft". I mean NOTHING?

You think I "felt" every piece of music in this contest that I listened to? You think I "felt" your track? Trust me, I didn't. I evaluated it purely on its technical merits, which I can do. I can recognize a good piece of music, even if it's not something I can relate to.

I don't expect much from this place, and I fully expected to finish at the bottom this much, but I do at least expect as much effort given to the evaluation of my music as given to everybody else. Essentially treating me differently than everybody else is just plain rude.

Tbase2000
KVRist

Post Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:28 am

Why do you expect or feel you deserve to finish at the bottom of the list this month? Critique yourself. I will let someone else who "get's it", meaning they get what you were going for, give you positive constructive feedback. Felt to me like you were just clowning around and having fun which is cool but also very rude to say if you were in fact being serious. In that respect, you nailed it! I'll just take a pass this month. Thanks

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:31 am

Tbase2000 wrote:Why do you expect or feel you deserve to finish at the bottom of the list this month? Critique yourself. I will let someone else who "get's it", meaning they get what you were going for, give you positive constructive feedback. Felt to me like you were just clowning around and having fun which is cool but also very rude to say if you were in fact being serious. In that respect, you nailed it! I'll just take a pass this month. Thanks
You obviously don't get it. Whatever. So glad to be done with these.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:48 am

Here you go. Here are two "meaningful" reviews of the same song (mine) that might actually contribute something of value outside of "Not feeling it"

Negative Review

"Wow, where to begin? It's obvious (at least to me) from the lyrics that you're taking the piss at this month's contest theme. On that level, kudos. You made your point that you felt this month's theme was stupid. The lyrics were equally as stupid, I'm sure on purpose. Musically, what's to say? C and F? Great chord structure for the A section. Could you be anymore original. The Amin7 was obviously just thrown in as it came out of nowhere. It wasn't even clever how you alluded to it lyrically. The performance was okay. I mean at least it was in tempo. But that God awful Vocaloid. The stupid sounding tuba and bouncing flute were just the cherry on the banana split of stupidity. Anyway, your intent was obvious but the song was an all around disaster on just about every level imaginable. Even the mix was bad as that piano was way too loud. And all that stuff at the end. Was that supposed to be an orchestra or something. Couldn't tell from all the noise. Sorry, on a 1-10 scale I can't even give this a 1."

Positive Review

Wow, what a work of genius. Very catchy melody. Could easily be a cookie commercial or something for a kid's show. Lyrics are obviously tongue in cheek but they work so well. I'm still laughing. Love the funny tuba and the flute moving around gives it some movement that keeps it interesting. Love the orchestrated end. Absolutely charming 2 minutes of music. Only criticism I have is on the mix. Piano is a bit loud and the ending isn't as clear, instrumentally, as it could be. But otherwise, well done. On a 1-10 scale I give this a 9.

There you go. Those are two reviews (negative and positive) that are at least helpful to the contributor and go beyond "not feeling it."

But I guess some people are just too lazy. And if that were it and applied evenly across the board to all contestants I wouldn't have even brought this up. But when everybody else gets a meaningful review (good or bad) but me, yeah, that's just rude.

And THAT is why I'm done with this stupid contest after this month. Because common courtesy to be treated like everybody else is all I'm asking for.

Tbase2000
KVRist

Post Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:10 am

:neutral:
No comment.

Mister Natural
KVRAF
2329 posts since 28 Oct, 2007 from michigan

Post Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:48 pm

next month's theme : snowflake

:=)
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:18 pm

Mister Natural wrote:next month's theme : snowflake

:=)
Whatever. I grew up during an era where you weren't rude to people.

But that concept seems to have gone to hell, especially on the Internet.

beanpole
KVRist
320 posts since 6 May, 2005 from Somewhere In Scotland

Post Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:06 am

WOW sensitive or what!!! :o
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....
http://www.myspace.com/thebeanbeany

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:01 am

beanpole wrote:WOW sensitive or what!!! :o
No, I was brought up to have a little respect. Something severely lacking in today's society.

Personally, I don't give a crap about any of this, but when you single one person out and just dismiss him, that's socially just plain wrong and I call people out on it when it happens.

Go read his reviews. I was the only one who was basically dismissed.

You think that's socially acceptable? Fine. But when people pull shit like that, I'm going to speak out. It's just wrong.

Think my song sucks? At least have the guts to tell me my song sucks and not just dismiss me.

And now that I'm the big bad crybaby and everybody's gonna turn this month's contest into my disapproval with the conduct around here, why don't we just get this over with and everybody give me an automatic last place so we can be done with it. Cause I don't want to spend the next 3 days going back and forth on this.

Did YOU get a review of your song? Sure did. And so did everybody else.

It's easy to call somebody sensitive when you're not the one who was dismissed.

The sanctimony and hypocrisy in this place makes me laugh my ass off.

Laguna Rising
KVRAF
6818 posts since 4 Apr, 2005 from here and there

Post Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:23 am

wagtunes wrote:Laguna Rising

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 9.5
Mix - 7.5

Overall - 8.5

Comments: Had to turn this one down a lot. A limiter is your friend. LOL. Musically very interesting. A little hard on the ears. Mix is a little on the busy side, especially the first part. Lead guitar on right speaker doesn't quite fit with rest of mix. Almost drowns out everything else. Probably could use a little reverb. Also sounds a bit out of tune. Is that a real guitar?
Thanks for your feedback.
Yes, real bass and guitars.

Tbase2000 wrote:Laguna Rising: Nice dark intro that morphs into a punk type sound. You lost me a little later when you went for the guitar solos but it's hard to knock someone for ripping off a solo. Keyboard leads are solid.
ended up not being the memorable, epic solo I had in mind... :oops: :shrug:
Thanks for the kind words and comments

beanpole
KVRist
320 posts since 6 May, 2005 from Somewhere In Scotland

Post Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:33 pm

Wagtunes, you say you "don't give a crap" and then write a long response giving reasons why you do give a crap. In your own review you basically dismiss your own song as an 8th or maybe 7th placed song. If you yourself dismiss it how do you expect anybody else to like it. I've entered this compo every month for the last 11 years and have finished in the top 3 on about 4 occasions. I couldn't give a shit if anybody likes my songs or not but I have found the compo to be useful in creating themes well outwith my meagre comfort zone.

Also that's one of the reasons I don't review songs as it is too subjective. If I don't like a song I'm not going too spend ages writing a review pointing out all the problems, i'd just say it was not my cup of tea. Similarly if I really enjoyed a song I would say it was great but wouldn't highlight every thing that was good about it, but thats just me.

As an aside, I quite liked your song this month, it made me smile. It sounded similar to the New Beats - I Like Bread And Butter. On most of your songs I actually like the music but find the use of the computer vocals can be a bit annoying.

Think of the compo as a bit of fun not to be taken too seriously and hope you see fit to enter next month.
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....
http://www.myspace.com/thebeanbeany

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
10882 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:41 pm

beanpole wrote:I've entered this compo every month for the last 11 years
That's a huge accomplishment, man :clap: :clap:

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:32 pm

beanpole wrote:Wagtunes, you say you "don't give a crap" and then write a long response giving reasons why you do give a crap. In your own review you basically dismiss your own song as an 8th or maybe 7th placed song. If you yourself dismiss it how do you expect anybody else to like it. I've entered this compo every month for the last 11 years and have finished in the top 3 on about 4 occasions. I couldn't give a shit if anybody likes my songs or not but I have found the compo to be useful in creating themes well outwith my meagre comfort zone.

Also that's one of the reasons I don't review songs as it is too subjective. If I don't like a song I'm not going too spend ages writing a review pointing out all the problems, i'd just say it was not my cup of tea. Similarly if I really enjoyed a song I would say it was great but wouldn't highlight every thing that was good about it, but thats just me.

As an aside, I quite liked your song this month, it made me smile. It sounded similar to the New Beats - I Like Bread And Butter. On most of your songs I actually like the music but find the use of the computer vocals can be a bit annoying.

Think of the compo as a bit of fun not to be taken too seriously and hope you see fit to enter next month.
Did you read my complaint? It has nothing to do with him not liking my song. It has to do with the fact that EVERYBODY got a review of their song but me. That's just rude to be singled out like that. I would have rather he tore my song to shreds than just dismiss me.

That is the problem I had and nothing to do with whether he loved my song, hated it or was indifferent to it. If you're going to review everybody's work, review everybody's work. If you ignore one person it's just wrong.

Sorry, that's how I feel. I wasn't brought up that way. I reviewed everybody's work. If I didn't think I was going to do that then I would have reviewed nobody's work, which in fact one month I didn't. I just scored every track and left it at that. I just didn't have the time to write reviews. But don't do it for 9 people and leave one out. It's wrong. And nothing anybody says is going to convince me that it's right. It's not.

Return to “Music Cafe”