I don't want to spam but my last track for the night "Now For Your Local Doppler Radar" (Lo-fi)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The song that's a month old
This song to me has a more personal background because I would remember watching Weatherscan when I was younger and just listen to the music ALL DAY.
I've already made a post to the Sound Design forum related to Weatherscan music yet no replies since post date.
I made this (yes it's lo-fi but I think I have a raw version somewhere) to emulate something you would hear in the background of any local forecast in the 90s on a really old TV. I may have overdone the effect (as usual), but it seems to be one of my more popular tracks for some reason.
Last edited by Samuel_S on Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is Samuel S. I make music for fun even if it isn't music.

It’s interestingly weird but too repetitious for extended listing for me.

I have no experience with weatherscan but I remember Farm News. Back when there was a late night Star Spangled TV sign off and then early in the morning when the Indian head disappeared and before the TV people appeared again a voice would give the Farm News.

I think I am beginning to REALLY feel my age. I listened to this and couldn't help but wonder....WHY? Then I heard my daughter playing what she informed me was lo-fi and I couldn't help but wonder....WHY?

I think it is just as well I sold all my Hardware synths and have since basically given up even trying, because I seriously doubt I would even know where to begin in this modern world.

jacqueslacouth wrote:I think I am beginning to REALLY feel my age. I listened to this and couldn't help but wonder....WHY? Then I heard my daughter playing what she informed me was lo-fi and I couldn't help but wonder....WHY?

I think it is just as well I sold all my Hardware synths and have since basically given up even trying, because I seriously doubt I would even know where to begin in this modern world.
TBH people listen to shit like this because it's nostalgic basically. Idk why but it is what it is, but don't give up in the modern world. Things that went out in the 1970s might come back in the 2020s who knows. But there's nothing to be afraid of in the modern world (of music), basically is what I'm saying.

fastlanephil wrote:It’s interestingly weird but too repetitious for extended listing for me.

I have no experience with weatherscan but I remember Farm News. Back when there was a late night Star Spangled TV sign off and then early in the morning when the Indian head disappeared and before the TV people appeared again a voice would give the Farm News.
Never heard of it, but sounds really American.

the constant sudden volume drops are strangely jarring to my ears. i know this is lo-fi but lo-fi artifacts usually feel more organic than that.
i almost love this track, for mostly the same reason you do—weather channel music was a constant, dreamy part of my childhood—but it's just a tiny bit too artificially-broken to be something i can listen to repeatedly.
Last edited by sleepcircle on Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Feedback

Music
Instruments
Performance
Mix

Overall

Comments: I think it's probably best if I didn't comment on anymore of your tracks. I honestly have no idea what it is you were going for here. It reminds me of these poorly recorded videos where the volume kept dropping out and you didn't get all the words. Do you have ANY idea how annoying something like this is to normal people? Anyway, it's best that I simply bypass your posts from here on in. We're just in two completely different worlds.

"normal people"?
never met one. met normal though.

vurt wrote:"normal people"?
On some level I consider myself normal. I can't spend 24 hours listening to Nyan Cat though I know some people who can. I tried once and after just a few minutes it drove me mad.

Musically, some things just annoy me greatly. Constant volume drops is one of those things. Repeating things for 24 hours is another one.

That's my definition of normal, as loose as it may be.

sleepcircle wrote:the constant sudden volume drops are strangely jarring to my eyes. i don't think that fits into the lo-fi definition.
i almost love this track, for mostly the same reason--weather channel music was a strange part of my childhood, but it's just a tiny bit too artificially-broken to be something i can listen to repeatedly.
Well, listen, I'm not saying it has to be something that's replayable over and over again. I just experiment with different sounds I have and "make music even it's not music." The volume drops thing sucks I know, but I mentioned that it was to emulate TWC on an old broken TV that's why.

i was just saying why i liked it and why i didn't. i have no problem with artifacting, in fact i often like the sound of it, but that particular artifact seems too artificial and cutting—to me, at least—to be something you'd get from a real broadcast.

i wrote my original comment too early in the morning, btw--it was kinda garbled and didn't make sense--i edited it a little.

sleepcircle wrote:i was just saying why i liked it and why i didn't. i have no problem with artifacting, in fact i often like the sound of it, but that particular artifact seems too artificial and cutting—to me, at least—to be something you'd get from a real broadcast.

i wrote my original comment too early in the morning, btw--it was kinda garbled and didn't make sense--i edited it a little.
that's fair. I will never use it again because I don't like what it does, it actually cuts out at pre-arranged moments at seems but I think I could've adjusted the amount a little.

wagtunes wrote: Repeating things for 24 hours is another one.

you my dear fellow, are no fun!

/ponders 24 hour "live" youtube modular with 4 note sequence!

vurt wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Repeating things for 24 hours is another one.

you my dear fellow, are no fun!

/ponders 24 hour "live" youtube modular with 4 note sequence!
You're right Vurt. I really am no fun. I'm stuck in a pop/rock/musical tonal world since 1964 when I first heard The Beatles. I can't really relate to this atonal stuff.

vurt wrote:"normal people"?
:hihi:

Return to “Music Cafe”